Frugal Camper #5

Don_Parsons

Hello all from Alberta Canada...

I've had the chance too build 4 complete truck box campers over the years, so with lifting roofs, and others with huge service doors to load quads, snowmobiles, and motorcycles ect... So now after hitting my 350 day mark of traveling across all of Canada and 37 USA States it is time to add a home made farkel camper too my adventures...
This camper box will be built too fit in any of my trucks... Unit 1 is a 2005 Ram 2500 4X4

Unit 2 is a restored 1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1500 2 wd heavy half...

So this is a fast simple build since it is easy to put something together with a hand saw, drill, screws, and some paint... Just draft what you want on paper... 7 minuets to come up with game plan...

Prep what we need too work with, and try too remember the words light-weight... Don't worry about being spot on since wood is very forgiving !!!

The 3 ribs on each board are mains, and the left over small peace will all so come in handy on the project...

I have spare camper parts from long ago, so time too use some of this stuff up...

There is even a set of new widows that are still kicking around !!!

The main trick is too prevent the lumber from becoming warped, so hay wire works good for this...

So the front & back sections of the camper will be in contact with the bed of the truck box since they will hold the heaviest part of the structure, and the horizontal long sides that run the length of the box will be attached to the floor of the camper box... That way the a person can lift the camper off the truck with the ability of being able too walk on it, and leave weight in on it as well...

The side of the lower box cube 46"X 92"X 21" are not made too hold the up right section of the walls, that's why the front & rear will do that job... Another good trick is too not over think wood since lite galvanized strips and corners from the hard-wear store can reinforce the camper as needed... Tomorrow I will finish the floor and lower section of the box cube... Simple easy and fast...

Pal Don

Don_Parsons

I have all the in side equipment as well, so this camper will cost nothing but a few hours too put together... Large back door unit with wide sides that will give me room for 2 small motorcycles since the handle bars and mirrors stick out... Plus a lift up pop top so I can stand up in it when the bike is on the ground for 4 too 7 day rides, or how ever long I want to camp for...
I have a full time sleeping system in the cab of the dodge, and it has a 1000 watt Honda generator, heater, living room, kitchen as well so having the camper unit wide will leave me room to have my kitchen back there with one bike in the back...

I've lived in my truck on and off over the last 10 years, so a bit more room will be nice, and having it in low profile saves on gas since I plan on doing more adventures in the next few years,,, Frugal adventures at that... From Pikes Peak at 14.000 ft,

To the reaches of the West Coast in Canada,

East Coast

A land of freedom...

The tip of the South/ East USA...

Even a chance too adventure the lower West side...

Then a quick stop at home to re group...

And a chance too say hello too the ADS dudes !!!

The trip can be seen on the ADS sight called KLR Farkels by Flash Gordon, enjoy all !!!

http://albertadualsport.ca/showthread.php?6602-KLR-Farkels-!!!

From Pal Don

Last edited:

Don_Parsons

Thanks for the nice right up Iron Jack, Ha Ha... Just part of being a super hero that many of us do each everyday on our blue planet !!!

This is where I live the most, and what better way too express my passion for the mountains, a place to relax, sight see, explore, and who would not enjoy getting a chance too wake up to this plus spend countless days in the valleys beside the stream, trees, and rocks...

"All most free on top of that," and having the small bikes makes even that much more fun...

The pup-tent living thing was lots of fun, even in a gravel pit along side of East Miami...

But there comes a time when humans need more, so part adventure plus a camper build goes hand in hand, or why would some folk like us even want too go this route... The truck cab living has been good to me since it opens up so many doors in all kinds of weather, easy to jump around, warm & dry 365 days, safety & secure in the world we live in, furry critter proof, and easy on fuel too, any where the wheels take us...
-10c on motorcycle trip to Harisson Lk BC in Jan 20th .2013... Ha Ha... Full on winter time in Alberta and mountains of BC...

And super warm and toasty with 1000 watt generator, heater, food, back seat full time sleep set up, and all the electronic stuff one might want too pack... Oh, and a BBQ too

It is so nice too wake up warm and dry for that first cup of coffee, so the plan was set into motion that this is just too easy, and practical all the time...

It is now coming up too 10 years of this mostly across Western Canada, and what a awesome way too spend my nights under the stars with windows down on kool nights, or having the option too run the generator with heater for the comforts we choose...

It would be nice too have a bit more room, and the option to keep the pack mule dry and secure !!!

The day will come that I will do the motor home thing.

But having the truck box to pack the toys only makes sense... So why not have a camper box, and never have to put a trailer... Win Win in my books !!! Just so long as I get more of this...

And this as it stands out the best in the far reaches of the Mountain valleys away from city lights, now how kool is that !!!

The truck and camper can get you close, but it is sure nice too have the bike to find the awesome areas with in...

So it looks like rain here in Alberta, so this gives me time too work on farkel camper project... The plan is too have both truck, camper, bike, and me in this build as each peace adds more quality too outings, so enjoy what & where this thread takes us...

Alberta Canada Pal Don

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne