WreckDiver's ongoing Oztent review thread

crusaderJK

Adventurer
Are you thinking about getting the side walls and front panel?

I bought the side panels with my RV-1 and used a tarp or the Jeep to cover the front.
IMG_20140419_140444.jpg
Have now upgraded and bought the front panel. Can't wait for my vacation....only three more weeks. :wings:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Are you thinking about getting the side walls and front panel?

Not really. We move around too much and like the simple camp setup too much. I can see how they'd be nice in certain situations, but that's more time setting up and tearing down. I just don't need the extra living space.

spikemd

Explorer
Thanks Richard! Really can't wait to try it out. I was a little worried about my decision to ditch the RTT, but now that I've got the Oztent I couldn't be happier.

So you actually like the Oz tent more than your RTT? What RTT did you have? One of the best things about using my RTT after years of ground camping is not setting up the mattresses or cots, unrolling sleeping bags pillows etc. I just leave everything in the tent and it compacts down as I close up the tent.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
So you actually like the Oz tent more than your RTT? What RTT did you have? One of the best things about using my RTT after years of ground camping is not setting up the mattresses or cots, unrolling sleeping bags pillows etc. I just leave everything in the tent and it compacts down as I close up the tent.

For my purposes, yes. I like the Oztent much more than I liked my RTT. I had a CVT Mt. Shasta. The CVT was great, and it allowed me to have a fast setup without having to store all my bedding, it took up less space than a traditional tent, etc. But there are huge advantages for me with the Oztent:

a) It is fast to set up. With needing to set up a cot and bedding, no it's not quite as fast as a RTT. But it's damn close. Really, really close.
b) Although this tent and my bedding take up more space than the RTT did, moving to the Oztent has actually allowed me to have more space. Because I don't have the RTT, I was able to run a canopy (as seen in the first pics). I could have done so with the RTT, but my mileage would have taken a big hit. With the RV-3, my mileage only takes a very small hit and I now have tons of dry, protected storage space in the back of the truck. Didn't get any of that with a RTT and bed rack. Plus, I was able to use an overhead cargo net that keeps my bedding up and out of the way, which means they take up a minimal amount of space now.
c) This setup makes my dogs and myself a bit happier. I don't have to pick up my 55lb Australian Shepherd and hoist him into the tent now.
d) I now have an awning attached to my tent. Great to have the extra shade and a place to keep things out of the weather.
e) I can store more things inside the tent now. I've got about 18 inches worth of space between the cot and the tent wall that I can put things in, not to mention the huge amount of space under the cot.
f) I can keep the tent set up and in place, and then.... I can drive away :)

Sure, there are downsides. The tent is heavy and bulky, as is the cot. Camp setup and tear down consumes a bit more time. I have to actually unroll my bedding. But I actually prefer this setup overall.

I just ordered the RV-5. I am going camping this weekend with my old tent. It can't get here soon enough.

Sweet! You're going to love it!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Got out yesterday for my first real test of the RV-3. Unfortunately it was much colder than anticipated and we had to leave in the middle of the night, but the tent performed beautifully. Everything I wanted for it and more.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Nice set up, shame about the cold. But does highlight the importance of being prepared and ensuring you have enough layers.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Nice set up, shame about the cold. But does highlight the importance of being prepared and ensuring you have enough layers.

Thanks Scott! Yes, it does.

So the Oztent got a major test this week. I was camping out on a friend's land in Sundance, Wyoming. I don't know if anybody saw the weather there recently, but the area was under a tornado watch the entire time we were there. The tent got hit full force by 65mph gusts and torrential rainfall for two nights in a row. Even got hailed on once.

I am no longer worried about the ability of this tent to handle weather. It didn't even budge. When it was fully staked down, even the hardest gusts were barely moving it. No problems with water entry either.

I love this tent. :D

KD7WCD

Thanks for this Thread

Thanks for this thread.

I picked up my new Oztent at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff this year. I didn't know that they were going to be there and with a good discount and not haveing to pay for shipping it was a pretty sweet deal. After it had been in the rain, sleet and snow for days and was still bone dry inside I was sold. It was a bit of an impulse buy but I had already been looking at them on the internet and knew what I was looking at.

I like some of the other people on this thread was faced with the same dilemma. Should I go with an RTT of some sort or an Oztent? I have been more of a Hammock camper for many years now so sleeping up off the ground is appealing. The big problem I had with the RTT is that I often do trips where I carry a Canoe or other larger items on my roof rack. With the RTT it seemed to be one or the others. With the Oztent, it is big and bulky but there are a lot more options on how and where it can be carried.

The Oztent is basically a fancy Baker Campfire Tent. A few years ago I resurrected a "Boy Scout Tent" that belonged to my wife's Grandfather. I have been using it as a temporary Ham Shack when I do radio support for endurance races like the Mogollon Monster. If you build a good fire in front of it with a nice little reflector wall it will keep you nice and warm all night long. It is kind of an old school bush craft setup.
Grandpa's Baker Tent.jpg Baker Tent Closed Up.jpg

I had planned on using my Oztent while camping out for Field Day (It's a Ham Radio thing) but I went out and broke my foot. So the summer has been cut short. All I have been able to do with my Oztent so far is bring it home from the Expo and set it up at the warehouse at work with a couple of jealous co-workers. I am hoping that once I can get out of the cast I can get out on a little expedition before the summer is over and actually spend some time in my new tent.
IMG_20150516_144732301_HDR.jpg

Fugly

Adventurer
I have had an RV 3 Oztent for a few years now...
Have the front panel and the peaked side walls...
It has been through all kinds of weather situations....
Would recommend them big time ....

Cheers Fugly

jerdog53

Explorer
Tom how well does it hold the heat when its cold out?

We are considering switching to something like this and I am concerned about how well it will retain body heat when the temps drop into the lower 40s upper 30s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz