WreckDiver's ongoing Oztent review thread

Got any pics of inside the tent with bedding setup? I'm trying to get a feel for what would work best for when I have my wife and my two medium-large dogs with us, I have two fairly large air mattresses (twin I think) along with a ****ty Coleman 8 person instatent that I take when it is all of us going and there is nothing instant about that tent, I've come so close to leaving it in a dumpster when trying to get it back in its bag.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Tom how well does it hold the heat when its cold out?

We are considering switching to something like this and I am concerned about how well it will retain body heat when the temps drop into the lower 40s upper 30s.

Hey Jerry,

The Oztents are made of ripstop canvas, so the walls are pretty thick and thus insulate pretty darn well for a tent. When you button it all up, you can expect the inside to be 15ish degrees or even warmer than the outside. You can actually pretty much seal the thing off in cold weather. Case in point:

This is at the end of Goose Lake trail, at roughly 9800 feet. When we arrived, it was probably 50 degrees outside. The inside of the tent was at least 65 if not a touch more. It dipped below freezing that night, and with my 20* bag I was nice and cozy all night. It's much better at staying warm than any dome tents I've come across. The only downside temperature wise with this tent is when morning comes. Once the sun finally comes out, you'll be up and out of the tent in a hurry. Even with everything totally opened up, it still heats up and stays hot. That's what the awning is for though.:)

Got any pics of inside the tent with bedding setup? I'm trying to get a feel for what would work best for when I have my wife and my two medium-large dogs with us, I have two fairly large air mattresses (twin I think) along with a ****ty Coleman 8 person instatent that I take when it is all of us going and there is nothing instant about that tent, I've come so close to leaving it in a dumpster when trying to get it back in its bag.

I don't have any with the bedding set up inside, but I can show you pics of the bedding if you like. I have a Kamp-Rite double cot, 2 Therm-A-Rest pads, and 2 sleeping bags. Make no mistake, this setup is by no means compact, even when fully collapsed, but it sure is comfortable. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make when I start to think about road trips longer than 3 days.

Haha I've seen those tents, my friend has one. Kind of garbage kit if you ask me. As far as space goes, my fiancee, our Australian Shepherd, and our Chiweenie fit nicely in the tent, but if I had another Aussie, I would skip the RV-3 and go straight to the RV-4. When the cot is set up inside, there's only about 16" or so between the cot and the front wall of the tent. That's enough for my one big dog, not enough for two. Unless of course you're using air mattresses right on the floor, in which case you may get away with it. But where my RV-3 is 7'10" x 6'6", the RV-4 is 7'10" x 7'10".

But where my RV-3 is 7'10" x 6'6", the RV-4 is 7'10" x 7'10".

Thanks for the reply, I just looked up the specs on the Coleman and it is a massive 13' x 9', which we really don't need so I think we could adapt to the RV4 as there is still a ton of space left in the tent after our two big air mattresses and the 2 dogs stretching out.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Spent another night in the tent in the high altitude mountains of southern Montana. Performed flawlessly, and the setup is getting faster every time.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Spent six nights in the tent in northern Montana, then way up north in Canada. Held up pretty well, but it had a lot of water droplets inside after 36 hours of rain outside Banff. From what I've read online, it seems most likely that this was just condensation since I had the tent closed up pretty tight for the most part. Hard to tell for sure though. Haven't had any problems with rain before, so odds are it was just condensation.

JLee

Adventurer
Still no regrets over the RTT? I've been shopping and it looks like I'm going to be out around $1800 for a (Tepui) tent to comfortably fit 2 or 3 people. I hadn't considered one of these until now. How is it to put away after it's been raining?

I'm finding the RV-4 on eBay for $999 and the RV-5 for $1099. Hrmm.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Still no regrets over the RTT? I've been shopping and it looks like I'm going to be out around $1800 for a (Tepui) tent to comfortably fit 2 or 3 people. I hadn't considered one of these until now. How is it to put away after it's been raining?

I'm finding the RV-4 on eBay for $999 and the RV-5 for $1099. Hrmm.

No regrets at all.

They both take around the same amount of time to set up (give or take 45-60 seconds), they are both durable, both are generally carried on the roof, and both are packed with great features. Here is where they differ:

1. Storing sleeping gear.
- The RTT takes the cake here by far because you can keep all of your bedding in the tent if you want. It's easy to do and means you have a lot less bulky (albeit light) stuff in the rig. I got around this problem by storing my bedding in a cargo net above the bed.

2. Warmth.
- The RTT will keep you a bit warmer because of the insulated floor. A tent heater will solve this sort of issue though. Just turn it on for a short time at night when you need it, warm the tent up, shut it off, and go back to sleep. I think a heater would be a bit more tricky to use in a RTT, but I do know there are people that do it.

3. Mobility.
- This is one of the biggest reasons I got the Oztent. Yes a RTT is quicker to pack up and you don't have to do much lifting, but you'll be doing much more of it. Every time you want to go somewhere, you have to pack the tent up. It gets old after a while. The Oztent can be left behind.

4. Height.
- This one could go either way. If you sleep soundly through the night and like waking up to a taller vantage point, the RTT is great. But I have dogs, I routinely need to get up to use a nearby tree in the middle of the night, and I don't like climbing up and down a ladder in bare feet. This is a big plus for the Oztent in my opinion and in my particular situation.

5. Moisture.
- The Oztent has to be rolled up. If you sleep on wet ground or get rained on, the bottom will be wet, and you'll have to flip it over in dry weather to dry it off. Not a great difficulty, but something to think about. Otherwise, it's exactly the same as a RTT to put away wet. Not at all difficult or irritating to do, but you'll want to open it up to dry it out afterwards.

It's kind of six of one, half dozen of the other. I love RTTs. I used to own one and I loved it dearly. The comfort, the cool factory, the ease of use, all of it was great. But they have their downsides, and most of those are practical things. Mostly though, it depends on how you are using the tent and what style of camping you're doing. If you're going from place to place all the time and only stopping to sleep at night, then I think the RTT is a better choice, although the Oztent can be used in that manner with minimal difficulty. We had a couple nights like that on my Canada trip and I wasn't wishing for my RTT back. But if the whole trip had involved only stopping for one night at a time, then the RTT would have been nice. If you are more inclined to stay in one place for a couple nights and explore the surrounding area from there, then the Oztent is a much better bet.

Both tents were designed to do pretty much the same sort of thing. They're both touring style setups. And both of them do the job pretty well all things considered. It's more a matter of compromises, and the deciding factor is where you want those compromises to be. There is no one perfect solution.

If you're still looking at the RV tents, ********'s Sporting Goods sells them on their website. If you sign up for their mailing list, you get 10% off. That brings that RV-4 down $100. Just sayin' :D

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I got an RV-5 and used it once so far.

It was mid-September and we were camped not too far below treeline. I'd have to look at the trip report on RMO, but when I got up in the morning and checked the temp in the truck, it was in the 30s. Perhaps my bag isn't the greatest or whatever, but I was cold. It was only me, my 8 year old and a dog in the fairly large tent. My 8 year old slept fine.

But really like the tent. Cant wait to use it more.

GORM

Adventurer
Good size for cot?

So a question I have is about the pitch of the rear of the tent and how affects use of a cot. Can you put in cots that run from the rear of the tent towards the door? The rv-3 is 2m = 78". Most cots are around 75". Also, I'm talking about the low height cots like the cave.a light weight cot or the thermarest.

Great thread ... This would be improvement from my behemoth 14 man tent (called the condo) that takes 2 to build and sucks in the rain. Setting up in the rain more than sucks.

It would seem to me the rv-3 would be great for 2 with cots and gear.

Kcdude

Adventurer
Just a heads up....I was looking at Dickssportinggoods.com last night and they were running a 20% off one item sale for 13 hours and free shipping (up to $15). An Oztent RV-3 that is usually $899 (plus shipping and tax puts it close to $1,000) was $783 shipped when put in my cart. I didn't pull the trigger but thought hard about it.

I think Dicks and BassPro just have it drop shipped from FTC. But FTC usually only offers a 10% discount max.

Kcdude

Adventurer
Just a heads up....I was looking at Dickssportinggoods.com last night and they were running a 20% off one item sale for 13 hours and free shipping (up to $15). An Oztent RV-3 that is usually $899 (plus shipping and tax puts it close to $1,000) was $783 shipped when put in my cart. I didn't pull the trigger but thought hard about it.

I think Dicks and BassPro just have it drop shipped from FTC. But FTC usually only offers a 10% discount max.

Heads up....dickssportinggoods.com has another 2-day 20% off sale with free shipping

RV-1 $599 shipped less tax
RV-2 $639
RV-3 $719

Last edited:

XJINTX

Explorer
Gorm, I have an RV2 and I use a full size full height cot (military style) It actually reaches the front and the back and makes a bit of a protrusion bump. I am very careful setting it in and closing the fly. Been doing this for a couple years now no issue. I even have set up two cots when my wife does tent camp with me. Only foot room between cots but no biggie with gear underneath. I wish I had an RV3 as I believe there would be no issue at all. When I setup my entire front enclosure I have plenty of room :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier