WreckDiver's ongoing Oztent review thread

thethePete

Explorer
At nearly $1000, how does something like this stack up against an expedition tent from say, Marmot, or The North Face? They're roughly half the price, and are definitely expedition proven. Maybe a little more involved to set up, but I'll tack 5 minutes onto my set up time for a $500 savings... Just curious. Right now my family is shifting into a more "overlanding style" adventuring, and I'm trying to choose what will suit our needs best between an RTT, a quality expedition tent from a mountaineering company, or an overland style tent like this, or even a teardrop of some sort. I'm a fabricator so a teardrop will likely be a custom affair, though not the most simple solution for the "get out there now" approach.

hamiltonuh60

I have an Oz Tent Foxwing awning with the attached Oz Tent Tagalong and I agree that the materials and quality are top notch. I have only used it once a couple of weeks ago at Mammoth Caves NP and we love it. It looks and feels like it will last decades because it's so durable. I can't really give feedback on how warm it is when it's cold since I was cuddled up in a -40 military sleeping bag. Highly recommend Oz Tent products!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
At nearly $1000, how does something like this stack up against an expedition tent from say, Marmot, or The North Face? They're roughly half the price, and are definitely expedition proven. Maybe a little more involved to set up, but I'll tack 5 minutes onto my set up time for a $500 savings... Just curious. Right now my family is shifting into a more "overlanding style" adventuring, and I'm trying to choose what will suit our needs best between an RTT, a quality expedition tent from a mountaineering company, or an overland style tent like this, or even a teardrop of some sort. I'm a fabricator so a teardrop will likely be a custom affair, though not the most simple solution for the "get out there now" approach.

I've used a bunch of those and currently own a big Agnes 4 season tent... They are pretty bad to set up with one person if there is any wind or rain. Packing takes quite awhile too. They're great once set up but it's no fun in any kind of weather alone.

thethePete

Explorer
That doesn't really answer the question though. I have several different tents of several different designs, and I can only think of 2 of them that are remotely simple to set up with one person. More to the point, I could never see myself bringing one of my family sized tents for a solo outting, I'd simply bring one of my smaller 1 or 2 man backpacking tents.

If I'm going with my family, my wife and I can set up any tent I own in just a few minutes, and adverse weather has rarely slowed us down much.

From what I'm reading you're saying the only advantage to this type of tent is set-up time? Seems like an awfully steep price mark-up for just ease of assembly. Do they tend to not wet out as fast? Do they pack that much faster? I've seen other similar tents to this that are no less complicated than a traditional tent but still command a $1000 premium. If I'm entering that price point, I'm trying to understand the pros and cons vs a RTT, and so far ease of ingress and egress as well as a small amount more lounging space seem to be the only real things that stand out to me.

Believe me, I'm a gear junkie, any excuse to buy stuff is a good one; but I've also wasted enough money on gear I dont really need that I'm trying to become a bit more rational before I just buy another piece of kit I won't use enough. I also don't want to derail the thread, I just want to understand what makes this $1000 tent worth $1000.

mowerman

Adventurer
Just to offer my few pence worth of that's ok...I don't own an oztent but have camped with 2 mates who have both used them.
They aRe large and bulky, quite quick to set up and put away - when warm and dry.
When they are wet and cold they can be far more difficult to deal with, and a real struggle to get packed into the bag. They offer good room with the extra panels on but this of course massively increases the set up/tear down time and to a degree negates the speed advantage relative to other tents.
I could get my Quechua pop up set up and put away quicker than an oztent and that included pegging down.
As a final comment neither of my friends have the oztent said any longer.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
That doesn't really answer the question though. I have several different tents of several different designs, and I can only think of 2 of them that are remotely simple to set up with one person. More to the point, I could never see myself bringing one of my family sized tents for a solo outting, I'd simply bring one of my smaller 1 or 2 man backpacking tents.

If I'm going with my family, my wife and I can set up any tent I own in just a few minutes, and adverse weather has rarely slowed us down much.

From what I'm reading you're saying the only advantage to this type of tent is set-up time? Seems like an awfully steep price mark-up for just ease of assembly. Do they tend to not wet out as fast? Do they pack that much faster? I've seen other similar tents to this that are no less complicated than a traditional tent but still command a $1000 premium. If I'm entering that price point, I'm trying to understand the pros and cons vs a RTT, and so far ease of ingress and egress as well as a small amount more lounging space seem to be the only real things that stand out to me.

Believe me, I'm a gear junkie, any excuse to buy stuff is a good one; but I've also wasted enough money on gear I dont really need that I'm trying to become a bit more rational before I just buy another piece of kit I won't use enough. I also don't want to derail the thread, I just want to understand what makes this $1000 tent worth $1000.

Speed of setup and take down plus floor material are probably the best advantages to the OZ. I have a Big Agnes Flying Diamond 6 and it's great once set up but an extra several minute set up/take down gets annoying if moving daily. The advantages/disadvantages of a ground tent/rtt have been discussed at length on this website including multiple front page articles.

thethePete

Explorer
So speed of set up and take down and a robust floor. Both worthwhile reasons. I'm looking at their jet line as I'd rather go with a synthetic body than a canvas one. Right now, with a new one on the way I am finding newfound importance in having standing room and a sturdy floor. A crawl in tent doesn't sound appealing with a baby in diapers.

Thanks for the input folks.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

jerdog53

Explorer
That has kind of been my reason for this tent, the ability to stand up and dress or otherwise. I have a high speed low drag 4 season backpacking tent but getting dressed on your back is no fun!

ExplorerTom

Explorer

Does not supporting it more along the length not bother you? I've been thinking a set up like this could allow it to bow through the middle span and potentially bend one of the rails.

I went with a Eezi-Awn platform rack on my Explorer but my Expedition will also carry the tent around. As nice as the Eezi-Awn rack is, I really don't want to have to buy 2. I have crossbars similar to what you have now. I've been thinking about some kind of DIY platform rack.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
So speed of set up and take down and a robust floor. Both worthwhile reasons. I'm looking at their jet line as I'd rather go with a synthetic body than a canvas one. Right now, with a new one on the way I am finding newfound importance in having standing room and a sturdy floor. A crawl in tent doesn't sound appealing with a baby in diapers.

Thanks for the input folks.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

That has kind of been my reason for this tent, the ability to stand up and dress or otherwise. I have a high speed low drag 4 season backpacking tent but getting dressed on your back is no fun!

I can standup at 6' in my Big Agnes 4 season so there are standing room bomber tents out there.

Accrete

Explorer
...or even a teardrop of some sort...

I'm in the research mode for finding a solution out the backside of a terradrop (see oregontrailer.net if curious)

Image from their site... we are not sure if we will go this way (adding a TD behind the van that is), but think I could be a fun addition behind the van on forestry trails/camps.

1931082_orig.jpg

Anywhooo.... i'm thinking that the OzTent RV-1 (example is the picture that cursaderJK shared in this thread) would be great over the rear of a TD with the kitchen hatch up?? It could attach the leading edge of the OzT to the roof rack rear edge ??

attachment.php

The other thing I might do (in addition to the kitchen solution/RV-1) is grab an RV-3 or 4 off the the street side to give any visiting kids a place to hang out.

Just rambling. I sure do appreciate the info shared in this thread!
Thom

Last edited:

aaen

Adventurer
How does setup and take down go with these tents sin the rain? Do they get soaking wet?

Reason, I'm asking is I've been debating buying a tear drop trailer, but I'm leaning more towards portability/etc plus I'm also not wanting to drop 20-25k on a trailer right now, with uncertainty of long term work thanks due the economy here in Canada. I've also looked at rtt but having it permanently mounted to the truck is not ideal.

Regards

Steve

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Holy crap! I leave this thread alone for a while and it just blows up! Allow me to respond to a couple questions.

Does not supporting it more along the length not bother you? I've been thinking a set up like this could allow it to bow through the middle span and potentially bend one of the rails.

I went with a Eezi-Awn platform rack on my Explorer but my Expedition will also carry the tent around. As nice as the Eezi-Awn rack is, I really don't want to have to buy 2. I have crossbars similar to what you have now. I've been thinking about some kind of DIY platform rack.

Nope, I'm not worried about it at all. There's no pressure being put on the middle of the tent between the crossbars, and it's not actually that far between supported points, less than 3 feet. When packed up, the tent itself is awfully rigid and does not bend easily at all. Not too worried about it. :)

How does setup and take down go with these tents sin the rain? Do they get soaking wet?

Steve, it's a little bit more difficult to pack up when it's wet and cold, but not much. The cold makes the floor material less pliable, and thus more difficult to roll, but it still fits in the bag without much trouble. Roll it tight as possible and you won't have a problem.

They get damp, not wet. The waterproof coating prevents them getting soggy. A rainfly will take care of most of the wetness problem, like any other tent. It doesn't take more than another minute or so to set up.

You get a lot of advantages to the Oztent. Granted, it's not as good in the wind, and I know there are big dome tents out there that will allow the use of a cot without issue. However, the Oztent is a whole different animal. The canvas is a better insulator, and so it's warmer in there than your traditional dome tent. The Oztent is faster to set up, is very easy to set up with just one person, and it's packed with little details that make setup easier. Pockets for the tie-down ropes, quick setup ropes, the front awning (trust me, I love having that), large windows, etc. The floor is also ridiculously durable. Very robust, waterproof, and it goes pretty high up the walls. The whole tent feels like it will easily last 15-20 years.

Yep, it's expensive, and it's not for everyone. But it's a really good tent. I can't tell you how much I love arriving at camp and being ready to sleep within ten minutes.

I've used a bunch of those and currently own a big Agnes 4 season tent... They are pretty bad to set up with one person if there is any wind or rain. Packing takes quite awhile too. They're great once set up but it's no fun in any kind of weather alone.

This ^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94