100 series 5 speed FTE turbo diesel 4.2L - 200,000kms - What to expect

overl4nder

Observer
I am currently in the market for a used LC, and a seemingly very good specimen at 200,000kms on the odometer is one I am interested in.
I would like your advice about the stuff I need to be careful about.

The pros
1. Regularly serviced at a good workshop
2. Scheduled maintenance done : eg timing belt and injector pipes changed at 150K as per service recommendation
3. Serviced(oil change and stuff) every 10K
4. AC works great
5. No funny noises from the engine
6. No offroading, only trail driving done
Cons
200,000kms
Clutch felt a bit spongy, though gearshift is slick. If I have to get a new clutch is it very expensive?
Slight rust on non weight bearing panels like the battery support mounts

I was actually looking for 2007 100 series, but could not find any in my budget, esp with a manual 5 speed tranny.
So I am wondering, is 200,000kms a bit too much? I would like something I can run for some 350,000kms or so.

Another thing I am wondering about is emission tests. Vehicle does not smoke and does not drink oil. So I guess getting emission to clear should be easy?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My UZJ 100 has 180,000 miles on it. That's about 300,000 kms. It still runs and drives like its got 30,000 on it. You'll be fine!

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
My UZJ 100 has 180,000 miles on it. That's about 300,000 kms. It still runs and drives like its got 30,000 on it. You'll be fine!

Agreed.... I'm pushing 295,000 and know of others with a LOT more. If you're not already a member go check out Ih8mud.com

overl4nder

Observer
Thanks for your replies.
I have put in the sale offer.
The only problem I saw(maybe not even a problem) is that the clutch feels a bit spongy. Gears, however, slot true and sharp, just like brand new. So worst case I may need a new clutch, which I am told is around 300 USD? Right?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
There are no 5 speed diesels (or very very few) here in North America. My suggestion would be to have a look at LCOOL (Land Cruiser owners on line). It's an Australian forum that has a huge number of diesel manual trans 100s. Very nice bunch of guys. We'd love to have you here too, and make sure you post some pics of your 100 when you get it!

http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

overl4nder

Observer
There are no 5 speed diesels (or very very few) here in North America. My suggestion would be to have a look at LCOOL (Land Cruiser owners on line). It's an Australian forum that has a huge number of diesel manual trans 100s. Very nice bunch of guys. We'd love to have you here too, and make sure you post some pics of your 100 when you get it!

http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

I have registered there. But I got an email that I need to put in details of my vehicle.
So just waiting on.
I have put in an offer. Lets see if the seller gets a higher bid. Everything should be clear in a couple of weeks.

Once I have the LC, I will definitely update my profile and put up some pictures.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
The only issue I can think of is with the lower rod bearings- this may not affect your 100 series, however. Do some looking under 1HDT bearings...

Rumpig

Adventurer
If that vehicle was for sale in Australia it'd likely fetch some pretty decent dollars.... they are a sought after vehicle for towing and touring purposes, and 200 000klms is considered as being on the lower end of klms for that sort of vehicle these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94