No longer dual purpose or AKA how to improve a 400 dollar lowes trailer

rplowden

Oscar where are you located? I ask given i think your old wheels / tires will fit my trailer when you have your larger treads on the trailer. My rig
View attachment 283336

Is that the Lifetime pop-up? I've looked and can't find them anywhere. Thinking they aren't in production anymore, but that would be perfect.

You're doing what I've been thinking of doing. I think I'm going to go with a little larger of a trailer as it would be nice to fit sheet goods on it easily. 5x8' minimum probably. Would also be looking to be able to add a removable RTT and then some sort of drop-in rack on top of that for the kayaks and bikes. Would extend the tongue for the kayaks and skin the front triangle for storage addition.

nothing yet. I have locking pins for hitch and ball only right now.

Once ive settled on a configuration ill add more security. Im not too worried about it tho. Most of my trips dont take me away from the rig in ************ ridden areas and im never far from the rig.

Trailer went on its first trip this weekend.

Did really well.

5affb567252314350976f3e2ac78e902.jpg

1248cb5bf279c24bb0817d87f0bf361f.jpg

7c01e64cba0102f5051e74e3c32d4fb9.jpg

5bc21e4a73433c9a685caf6b83d05b4a.jpg

well one of the problems I had in the above pictures is my hitch lock was under the spare tire. so when the TV was headed up a hill the tongue was being levered on by the spare.

My fix was for an extended ball mount. This worked great up until I had to go down hill sharply then the ball popped off twice. (good thing for chains and steel bumpers :) )
Plus it drug alot. Even on 37s that thing was constantly getting drug on rocks.

So I know I need a max coupler but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of it. how do i fix it so im not dragging *** everywhere?

IMG_1546 by Oscar Indy, on Flickr

I also swapped out that green tub for a pair of much nicer boxes. Really happy with the cargo concept now but still have a couple bugs to work out.

ill get some. still working on details with the boxes. really need to ditch all that expanded metal but im being lazy and not sure if i wanna use sheet metal or aluminum yet.

khickeyman

I built mine out of the same trailer last year they work great, replaced 4' draw bar to 6', added front wrack for cans, went to 2" ball, Dexter heaver wider axle, built spare tire mount and fenders.
IMG_20150702_141132689_HDR.jpgIMG_20150217_141632089.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke