Replacing engine

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I have a 05 f150 supercab with the 4.6 engine. Truck has over 220,000 miles on it and plugs have never been changed. If I change the plugs will that be opening the engine for issues? Should I just plan on replacing the engine? Engine runs ok. I had bought the truck used and finally have a lot of the issues fixed.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
That's what I'm worried about. I've heard replacing the plugs is a nightmare anyways at lower mileages.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I cannot think of any reason why changing the plugs would give you issues. I'd replace them alone with the wires and run Seafoam in your fuel tank. I think you'll notice a smoother running truck.

Jakes01234

Explorer
Let a good penetrating oil soak for a little while on the plugs. Hopefully it can creep into the threads. (Atf and acetone works OK)
I'm surprised they have not spit themselves out yet hahaha my friend had one at 110k and it popped 3 out in a year.

I see your a few towns over from me. If you want someone to laugh when they break or someone to break them for you. Let me know....
When they snap it's either yell or laugh.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
The trick is to use a 3/8 impact to remove them, my guys rarely break plugs, if they do, they are very easy to extract. The guys that remove them by hand break a lot more, mostly on the 3v.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Might be worth it to bring it in to the pros on this one even if it's just spark plugs.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The trick is to use a 3/8 impact to remove them, my guys rarely break plugs, if they do, they are very easy to extract. The guys that remove them by hand break a lot more, mostly on the 3v.

This. And take it to the pro's. They have this figured out.

It's $7000 for that engine (installed). DO NOT BUY A REMAN'D FORD. GET A NEW ONE FROM FORD. So obviously, at that level, you should at least try first. If one of the plugs fails and it's $$$$$ to fix, it still ain't near the cost of a new engine.

rayra

Expedition Leader
For changing spark plugs gods why? It's one of the most straightforward do-it-yourself maintenance items. 220k never been changed, spritz a little penetrating oil right where they enter the head, let it sit overnight. In the morning fire it up and get it a little warm, but not hot / normal operating temp. Give it 10min or so after you shut it off so you don't burn yourself on the exhaust manifolds and then just get busy. It's really not a difficult job. Just be sure you use proper technique with the ratchet, support the ratchet head with force opposing the direction you are pushing on its handle and you shouldn't break anything.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
For changing spark plugs gods why? It's one of the most straightforward do-it-yourself maintenance items. 220k never been changed, spritz a little penetrating oil right where they enter the head, let it sit overnight. In the morning fire it up and get it a little warm, but not hot / normal operating temp. Give it 10min or so after you shut it off so you don't burn yourself on the exhaust manifolds and then just get busy. It's really not a difficult job. Just be sure you use proper technique with the ratchet, support the ratchet head with force opposing the direction you are pushing on its handle and you shouldn't break anything.

Obviously You have never seen the ford triton series engines! the spark plugs are on top of the heads NOT on the side as You describe!!

Having done a LOT of maintenance on these engines I can tell You that spark plugs can be a MAJOR P.I.T.A.!!!!! I've tried the impact wrench and the ratchet wrench and have had mixed results with both! sometimes they all come out just fine sometimes not so much, the tool to remove the broken end of the spark plug is super simple to use and most auto parts stores that rent or let you borrow tools will have it, I have never had to remove a head so I must be lucky! if you have any mechanical aptitude you should be able to do this job over an afternoon!!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Wherever they are on that Ford garbage :p , the techniques and precautions are the same.

/really think it's funny that the OP is talking about replacement engine when he's not even willing to attempt to remove old plugs. Why even buy a truck with 220k mi on it if you haven't got some mechanical skill or are interested in gathering some?

gtbensley

Explorer

Agreed, guys at my shop will put penetrating oil on them to sit. Drive it to get it hot, and then hit it with an impact wrench. Almost never break if you follow these steps. If they do, just buy the specail extraction tool. No big deal

gtbensley

Explorer
Plugs on a 3v is not a small job if it goes poorly......you have never done them or seen them done. The OP probably doesn't want to waste his time on an engine with that many miles if he thinks he needs to pull the heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000