steering rebuild obs f350

greengreer

Adventurer
I am getting ready for a much needed steering rebuild on my work truck. Its a 97 f350 4x4 c&c drw. I am looking at moog parts and cannot find the right outer tie rod for a dually. They only list ds1071 as srw only. Anyone know of the correct part for a drw truck?
Also has anyone tried xrf parts? They can be had a bit cheaper than the moog but are they quality. I dont want to cheap out and do this again soon.
Also any additional tips or advice would be great.
Thanks!

Seabass

Idiot
Best I know- Ford never made what you have. That truck started life as a single rear wheel truck and it's been converted. I have a good friend that bought the front spacers and rear spacers and wheels from one company (I can't recall the name). You'd swear it came from the factory that way. So if that's the case- get srw tie rods. Did you buy the truck new? I'm fairly confident in what I'm telling you- I'm a bit of a ford guy. But, I've been wrong before. Good luck.

greengreer

Adventurer
Are you saying ford didn't build cab and chassis f350 4x4 drw? I havent owned the truck since new but I have all paperwork including window sticker. I am pretty confident that ford built this truck and aside from the bed it isnt changed much.

I have looked high and low and cannot find a rh outer tie rod end (the long one) that doesnt say srw only. Not sure what to do at this point. Anyone know the original p/n? Maybe I could cross reference.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im going through this currently with my kingpin D60 swapped OBS F250

I cannot seem to find the correct tie rods. Everything the local parts house orders is too small.

Best suggestion I can offer you is to find a parts house that will order what they can, knowing that it might be wrong and have to be sent back.
When the chips are down, a D60 front axle doesnt care if the truck is SRW or DRW. So order the SRW and see if it fits.

As for MFG, I strongly suggest you use RAYBESTOS.

greengreer

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies. So I don't see what the difference could be. Afaik the only thing that makes a dually 60 is the hubs. Seems like tie rods are in the same spot. I guess I'll order the ds1071 and try it.
Why raybestos, seems I have hear that their top of the line stuff is spicer?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I used to run Moog. No longer. Ive had too many failures, some within 100 miles. (tie rod ends, ball joints)

Raybestos premium has been my go-to for the past decade or so.

Have yet to replace ANYTHING that was replaced with raybestos so far.
Also helps that its what my local carquest stocks.

greengreer

Adventurer
Went with raybestos premium ball joints, replaced all the seals, cleaned the hell out of everything and repacked the bearings. Definitely a chore, but worth it. Now that everything has been freed, I feel like it would take less than half the time.
I am still in need of the steering goods, and am leaning towards moog for price and availability. Don't want to skimp but steering linkages aren't that difficult on these trucks.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The only reason I can figure why SRW and DRW tie rods would be different would be the offset of the wheel and having enough clearance. If it fits, it ships!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier