make-shift dual battery system using lion battery booster pack?

I'm contemplating a dual battery system in my Jeep.. but for a plug n play system, I'm looking at about $1200 for new batteries and the kit.

Considering my dual battery system is really for only charging cameras/phones and night lighting around camp, I got to thinking about those portable booster packs - not to mention, they can work as a car booster for drained batteries and also provide portable power - and transfer to a different vehicle easily.

A Canadian big box retailer, just listed a portable (28lbs) booster pack for $190 - with a 33Ah AGM battery, and 700w inverter.

I don't need the inverter - just ability to run 12V out and boost a drained battery on the Jeep (or other vehicle) if needed.

Now, what about those 'mini' booster packs? I have a 2800mAh booster pack I often carry for my cell phone and see on Amazon some battery packs with booster cables for the car and a 20Ah Lion battery. With that in mind, I could run 2 or 3 of my LED camp lights all night and still have power in the morning.
At a price of $150 or so per unit, I could get two or even three of these to charge devices and power area lights at night and be saving a lot of money on a fixed in place dual battery system. Plug in to to a 12V accessory outlet with the vehicle is running and charge the pack back up for the next night.

Anyone here tried this for a make-shift dual battery system and have good results? Anyone hack these packs to run the batteries in parallel for even more mAh?

Thoughts and comments would be helpful!

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
You shouldn't have to spend a lot of money for a typical dual battery kit. I shoved a Group 31 AGM battery under my JK's rear seat, wired up a solenoid to allow me to control when to recharge it, and it works great for exactly the uses you describe.

spikemd

Explorer
Look at Goal Zero Yeti 150 for small electronics or Yeti 400 for heavier loads and portable fridges. Good plug N play systems much cheaper than $1200 and you can add solar at a later date. Portable, easy to charge, very useful and they have awesome lights that connect for camping.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I run a single large battery, and carry a LiFePO4 jump starter as backup. Much simpler than a dual battery system, and I haven't had to even use the jump starter yet.

Clintnz

Observer
I was looking at those little Li-ion battery packs too, thinking maybe one of them at 20Ah would be enough for my needs, light & compact.... could add another couple if I want to run a fridge in the future... then I realised that their Ah capacities are at 5V not 12 :squint:

I just bought one of the 6 in one booster packs, I don't expect the compressor to be good for much but the price was less than buying an 18Ah AGM battery & a 400W inverter separately. Off to try it out this weekend :)

Cheers
Clint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94