Tundra question

HighPlains

Observer
I've got a quick question for the Toyota experts out there. Im looking to purchase a new rig that will serve both dd and expo duties and am looking at both the DC Tacoma and DC Tundra. Was the first gen Tundra ever available with a factory e-locker like the Tacomas?

marathonracer

Adventurer
Zero is right. Just factory LSD in the tundra (8.4 rear end). There was no long bed in 1st gen DC tacos but 2nd gen DC Tacoma's only had the TRD off road option in short beds. Tons of 1st gen DC tundra fans on this board!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
No. It could be optioned with a Limited Slip.

Zero is right. Just factory LSD in the tundra (8.4 rear end). There was no long bed in 1st gen DC tacos but 2nd gen DC Tacoma's only had the TRD off road option in short beds. Tons of 1st gen DC tundra fans on this board!

Well, it's traction control. Not a traditional limited slip.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

marathonracer

Adventurer
Traction control? Are you talking about the atrac system in 2nd gen tacomas that acts like an LSD. Quite positive my 1st gen tundra has a true LSD...

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Traction control? Are you talking about the atrac system in 2nd gen tacomas that acts like an LSD. Quite positive my 1st gen tundra has a true LSD...

Are you sure it's factory and wasn't added after the fact? From most things I've read, they never came with a true LSD. I could be wrong. The easy way to test is is to jack up the rear of the truck. Put it in neutral and spin the tires. If they spin the same direction then it's a LSD. If it's opposite it's open and uses trac control.

Well I think I'm wrong. I guess it was an option on the 1st gen trucks. I apologize.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Last edited:

marathonracer

Adventurer
It did come from the factory as it is. I say that its a true LSD because it isn't computer controlled or anything like that. It has the LSD tag near the fill plug on the diff and requires LSD oil. Its always acted like an LSD as well never like the traction control in my wife's vehicle or my work truck... Now you have me curious though

Just saw your edit cruiser. no worries... You had me thinking though

jim65wagon

1st gens were either open or a true LSD. Traction control amounts to feathering the throttle and judicious use of the parking brake.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz