Cabinet construction Aluminum vs Plywood/MDF

mezmochill

Is outside
3/4 birch ply. rabbit/dado, glued and screwed. Bungee with marine padeyes and stainless clips instead of doors + hard sided canvas bins with 1/4 ply bases as drawers. Durable , quiet, functional and looks good.

rayra

Expedition Leader
sorry but I think what you are calling sleek and modern is sterile / mobile lab / bloodmobile -looking. Maybe if it was more colorful.

Wood can also fulfill your sleek / modern criteria, depends on not only its finish but how it is shaped. Just browse the kitchen cainet door and entertainment unit section of the IKEA catalog to see what I'm talking about. Very moderne, but wood.

The wood interior will also sound better, instead of tinny or echoing when you are living in it.

Honu

lost on the mainland
one thing I like about aluminum in boats I worked on was the bit of extra space all around
while a small amount it all adds up to more storage :)
commercial tourist boats take a gnarly beating from day in day out use of crew who are not careful etc...
some of the aluminum or foam core glass never had issues wood did over time while that was on a boat its kinda the same

I love wood though but sometimes I think other things have there place :)

mezmochill

Is outside
aluminum or foam core glass never had issues wood did over time while that was on a boat its kinda the same

I love wood though but sometimes I think other things have there place :)

Hey, whatever floats your boat.:ylsmoke:

Any issues with electrolytic corrosion (steel and aluminium combined??)

Honu

lost on the mainland
hahahah good one :)

nope boats were aluminum and some had wood mix for cabinets only steel would be parts on the boat
good example would be instruments in the wheel house and you could get some small bit around the edges maybe but never a issue
some of them even had aluminum frames with wood panels which actually looked kinda cool
other boats were glass
dont drop pennies into the engine hold :) ahhahahaha

Hey, whatever floats your boat.:ylsmoke:

Any issues with electrolytic corrosion (steel and aluminium combined??)

mezmochill

Is outside
Your avatar has me jonesing for a reef fix. If your looking for some real relaxation google Naigani.... pristine reef, great food and cheap and nobody there.:)

Honu

lost on the mainland
that was in Micronesia :) taught diving for 15 years lucky to have lived in a few nice places :)

Your avatar has me jonesing for a reef fix. If your looking for some real relaxation google Naigani.... pristine reef, great food and cheap and nobody there.:)

Stonemeadow

An other impressive material for cabinets, beds and shower stalls is Transonite. A strong FRP available 1 " thick that can be connected and trimmed with FR angle profiles.
Warm to the touch like wood strong as aluminum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles