AX56L Military Fridge. Yes? No? Maybe?

qwopzxnm

Adventurer
Saw one of these for sale and wanted to ask the experts here what their opinion was. So how say you? From my basic research tonight I'm seeing these pros/cons

Pros:
2 Day battery back up
Very rugged Hardigg case
Multiple power options and cords included (120, 12v, batteries)
Just under 60qt capacity

Cons
Huge!
Heavy (142lbs empty)
Older batteries might need replacing

Also, I'm not familiar with this set up. Would it be something I could simply plug into my 12v and run and charge the batteries while driving?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Usually these are setup to work from 24vdc from the ones I have seen.

Having the built in additional batteries adds complexity, size and weight since most expo vehicles will have a second battery for other loads like lights etc.

Any photos? link?

lysol

Explorer
These are great for medical items that need transported. Unless it's going to be onloaded/offloaded a lot, I don't see the benefit. What is the warranty like on an item like that? I think it would work great for fridge that you are taking out to a cabin or something and want it to be rugged.

Last edited:

qwopzxnm

Adventurer
If it's the same one I saw, they are asking almost the same price as a used ARB.

Pretty sure we're looking at the same one. Your comment is exactly why I posted this, I'm wondering if I could get it cheaper if it's worth getting this over an ARB or similar. I'm leaning more towards the view that this is overkill for my needs.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
hum ok, probably a different version. maybe the ones you are looking at is a newer version that can run on civy vehicles. highdesertranger

spikemd

Explorer
I saw these a few yeas ago. Don't underestimate the weight. Almost 150lbs!! Cool idea to have the battery backup but it is huge and heavy. It will take up too much cargo space for the food storage. My ARB is the best camping purchase to date and as been running non stop for over 5 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke