Closed cell foam vs Butyl tape

ripperj

Explorer
I bought 8 new windows from Motion rv for my Alaskan camper build. Motion recommends(and includes) closed cell foam to seal the windows to the aluminum camper skin.
The original windows were sealed with grey butyl tape, which if original was 30 years old, still pliable and had no leaks. I'm nervous about deviating from tried and true, but I realize materials have improved in 30 years and motion sells a lot of quality windows,so i assume they know what they are talking about.
Can I go wrong either way??, the closed cell foam is certainly neater and quicker.
Thanks

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Nothing beats butyl rubber. I used to get it on a roll with a wax paper backing. That made it simple to work with when I built boats for a living. Today I use a closed cell foam rubber on medical equipment susceptible to saline and fluid leaks. It's the good 3M stuff and it seals and flexes perfect. I'd use what you have if it seems high quality. The trick is to not stretch it. Make your cuts perfect to length while it still has the paper on it. I think a roll of butyl is expensive at marine supply stores now.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
here is what did with my custom camper build....

I used EPDM rubber self adhesive weatherstrip to seal my windows to the camper exterior walls.

chassis214.jpg

chassis215.jpg

chassis216.jpg

Vanaroo

Observer
I like butyl tape a lot, as long as it is "the good stuff." By that I mean that I have bought numerous rolls of modern butyl tape that, when you stretched the tape, it broke within a few inches. Older butyl tape rolls I had you could stretch it for two feet or more and no breakage. The only modern butyl tape I have found that acts just like the old stuff is some sold by a fellow boater (see link below). I have no association with him other than as a satisfied customer and fellow sailor.

Since I've had long term success with butyl, and (importantly) since it is easy to deal with if and when you need to remove/replace/repair/change something, I'd vote for good butyl tape. I would guess closed cell foam tape would work too, but I would choose butyl. There could be several reasons for the mfgr. including closed cell foam tape, one of which could be that it is the best; but others could be things like "easier for the average customer to work with," "we can't consistently get good butyl tape," or etc.

One note is that I have not tried the black butyl from McMaster Carr - I'm only speaking of the grey stuff on a roll.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior