Les's '01 XLS

ifixpc

Observer
I was browsing for a used set of tires for almost 6 weeks. (At the beginning I said this will be a build on a budget).
I found this set on CL for $250. Read some pretty good reviews on this tire. After I got the price down to $150, I didn't even bother thinking twice.
It was basically a steal.
There's about 80% thread left. 1 tire has little bit of uneven wear, but this will get auto-corrected after 3-5K miles.

Can't wait to mount them and test them!

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
they look meaty, just curious what is the reason why you chose this brand of tire? Never heard of this company before..

Interco Tire makes the "Swamper" "Irok" "Bogger"

Been around a long, long time. Just not sold in many chain tire stores.

ifixpc

Observer
I just got the tires mounted & balanced.

First impression:
"What the heck have I done?"

I read many reviews on this tire and all of them said that this tire is pretty quiet.
THEY ARE NOT QUIET!
I guess I've never had a chance to be in another car with MT's, so there's nothing I could compare them to.
However I did hear some Jeep's pass me by on the highway with that "woooobbbble" noise.
The wobbling sound is driving me nuts at this point.

As for road handling and comfort -> A+
The only noticable difference is when I come to stop or take off, you get this slightly different feel in steering than in regular tires.

Let me put first 1000 miles on them and see if I can adapt a bit.
If that's going to be an issue, than I might have to look for some AT tires or a second set of rims for daily driving.

I also can't wait to go to the trail next weekend, I guess this will be a judgement point.

2015-05-14%2013.14.33.jpg

2015-05-14%2013.13.47.jpg

2015-05-14%2013.13.30.jpg

2015-05-14%2013.13.23.jpg

2015-05-14%2013.13.13.jpg

2015-05-14%2013.12.33.jpg

2015-05-14%2013.12.27.jpg

ifixpc

Observer
OK, while I'm waiting for the winch, I've been researching 2" coil spacers.
Unfortunately I haven't gotten too far.
I found a guy from a different forum, who used to manufacture the kit in UK and sell through ebay. He was nice enough too reply and let me know he doesn't do these anymore.
Rear coil spacer wouldn't be much of an issue to resource. The front one is the one in question.
There's also a company in AU that sells fronts for ~$300 with shipping, which makes no sense for a piece of metal.
I might have to talk to my metal fabricator if he'd be up for another project.
Do you guys know who might sell those?

jhill15

Explorer
I used to frequent pocuk.com and a few guys over there were telling me they used toyota coil spacers for the rear. I would have to go back and look through threads I started over there but if I remember correctly it was just as cheap to go with ome springs...

montypower

Adventure Time!
My understanding is the FJ80 front coil spacers work in the rear of the montero. I have a front coilover spacer (brand new) that I may be willing to sell for $200 shipping (paid $350 from Australia)

ifixpc

Observer
I'm going nuts with these TRXUS mud tires that I installed.
They are so loud that they should be only considered for strict offroad use.

I'm leaning towards 235/85/16's:

I found a set of BFG KO2's for $624 including shipping to installer + $68 to mount & balance.
I think I'll go for it.

I was also looking at ST MAXX's - these come out to $770 for just tires with shipping. If I went to my regular place it would be $810 out the door with installation.

Should I get the Coopers for a bit over $100 extra? Or do you guys think they would perform about the same? I was reading some reviews on both and can't decide.

jhill15

Explorer

I'm leaning towards 235/85/16's:

I found a set of BFG KO2's for $624 including shipping to installer + $68 to mount & balance.
I think I'll go for it.

I was also looking at ST MAXX's - these come out to $770 for just tires with shipping. If I went to my regular place it would be $810 out the door with installation.

Should I get the Coopers for a bit over $100 extra? Or do you guys think they would perform about the same? I was reading some reviews on both and can't decide.
I would call around to some local tire shops and see what they got. My coopers "at3" were $140 each mounted and balanced. Granted they are not st maxx or bf's but they are 265 75-16. I also bought 5 of them so that made it $704...out the door.

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Interco makes the industry standard hardcore off road tire-the super swamper, and all of its variations. They have always made off road mainly tires that don't wear well and weigh a lot as they're focused on getting through thick mud and rocks only. If you read they were quiet that was probably compared to the old school bfg mt that was very loud. The truxus mt's are great for a mainly off road rig.

ifixpc

Observer
I'm still shopping around. One thing for sure, I put way to many miles to keep the Interco's as daily tires.

I'll test them at the Cliffs on Saturday.
If they are really that good, I'll get another set of rims for my old tires (not that old, about 80% thread left there) and swap wheels between offroading and daily driving.

On another hand it just seems like too much to do every other weekend.

montypower

Adventure Time!
The ST Maxx is far superior to the practically ancient BFG AT design.

Have you run both?

I've run the BFG KO, ST Maxx and now BFG KO2. Ko2 is the best by far. ST Maxx has high rolling resistance. My mileage dropped by 2mpg (same tire size) going from Destination MT. It is not snowflake rated. Sidewalls are overly stiff (great for full size, not great for mid size - especially off road).

I'm currently running 34x10.5r17 KO2 on the Montero. Mileage is back up to 20mpg on the road (fully loaded). Very happy with them so far.

ifixpc

Observer
Have you run both?

I've run the BFG KO, ST Maxx and now BFG KO2. Ko2 is the best by far. ST Maxx has high rolling resistance. My mileage dropped by 2mpg (same tire size) going from Destination MT. It is not snowflake rated. Sidewalls are overly stiff (great for full size, not great for mid size - especially off road).

I'm currently running 34x10.5r17 KO2 on the Montero. Mileage is back up to 20mpg on the road (fully loaded). Very happy with them so far.

Nice input!
I really appreciate it.

I'm holding off the tire purchase as I just picked up another car as a DD.
I'll keep my eyes open on a good deal for KO2's.

I will keep the Montero for offroading, weekend trips, camping and trips to dog parks. Basically as my fun car and ute, might as well keep the muds for now.

My winch came in and I'm hoping to find some time to remove the bumper and take the car to my metal shop and get the plate welded in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior