Added guages

What gauges have you added to your overland vehicle. I am adding a trans temp gauge and a tach, but not sure if there is something else I missing.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I guess the question should be "What things do you feel you need to monitor on your vehicle" quickly followed by "What do I need this data for? How can I use it?"

My opinion is that adding gages / sensors, etc just for the sake of doing it is counterproductive. Anything you add to your overland rig should have a clear purpose and function that contributes in some way.

Knowing your engine RPMs serves what purpose? Knowing your transmission temperature will aid you by......?

anyway, that is my (not very useful, I know) 2 cents.

Last edited:

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Also, you must know what "normal" is for whatever you're monitoring. I may see my transmission temperature is 230 but is that acceptable? But, I digress...

I haven't added any gauges but I do have a scan gauge II hooked up. I use it for monitoring such useful things as intake air temp (usually a degree or two higher than the outside our temp), throttle position sensor so I can see how stupid I'm being, instant MPG, and distance to empty.

Expedition Leader
I added a tachometer, and replaced the ammeter with a volt meter. The tach is good for keeping my truck in its power band, particularly on steep mountain roads. The volt meter gives more useful information than the ammeter, and the ammeter wouldn't work with the higher-output alternator that I installed anyway. I also replaced my uncalibrated temperature and oil pressure gauges with more modern calibrated ones.

I guess the question should be "What things do you feel you need to monitor on your vehicle" quickly followed by "What do I need this data for? How can I use it?"

My opinion is that adding gages / sensors, etc just for the sake of doing it is counterproductive. Anything you add to your overland rig should have a clear purpose and function that contributes in some way.

Knowing your engine RPMs serves what purpose? Knowing your transmission temperature will aid you by......?

anyway, that is my (not very useful, I know) 2 cents.

Knowing my trans temp can be very useful, considering my trans in my truck is very temp sensitive (700r4). Using a tach can helps you make sure your car is tuned correctly, and help you learn to drive your vehicle more efficiently.

4x4junkie

Explorer
^^
I fully agree, trans temp is a good thing to keep tabs on especially with an automatic. Low-speed offroad use (crawling especially) can generate plenty of heat in a trans.

I added a voltmeter (digital) to mine just to keep tabs on the batteries while camping. It's not part of the driver instrumentation. I may add an actual oil pressure gauge at some point (the factory pressure "gauge" isn't one at all, it's driven by the same type switch that would run a simple idiot light).

Rig has a tach, so that part is already covered.

verdesardog

Explorer
I have a fuel pressure gauge after the fuel filters/water separator so I know when they need changing. I put a sensor on the return line from the TQ to know if the trans fluid is getting too hot, it does climb quickly when crawling up hills in 4 high or low. I have boost and exhaust temp gauges to know how hard the engine is working. Boost tells me approximately how much HP I'm using and exhaust temp lets me know when to let up on the accelerator pedal to prevent melting a piston.

With out those gauges I KNOW I would be abusing my truck badly..........

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
My 91' Bronco came with a tranny temp gauge when I bought it, though I did have to rewire it as the PO had the wires backwards. Not sure how. Anyways, that is probably the most important addition. The stock gauges include a tachometer, oil pressure, engine temperature (non-calibrated), and voltmeter (non-calibrated). The non-calibrated gauges are still better than nothing, but I have future plans for calibrated gauges if I can find some for a reasonable price.

What I think the original question should be is "What gauges are needed in a vehicle?"
Answer: Engine temp, tachometer, transmission temp, voltmeter (one per battery), and oil pressure gauges are the big ones. Then you have to learn how to read them and what each one means to you as you're driving on a trail.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
On a related note, digital gauges look cool, but I prefer analog as you can tell at a glance, without having to actually read it, if you're out of the normal range. Additionally, if they are round after-market gauges it helps if you clock them so normal has the needles all pointing the same, 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, or 9 o'clock.
For very critical systems you might consider a warning buzzer or light in addition to the gauge. The buzzer or light could be shared so you only need one.

v_man

Explorer
IMO an accurate voltmeter is essential . Most new trucks come with them , my 90' did not . But even the analog stock voltmeters can be improved upon with an accurate digital read out . There's a big difference between 12.7 volts and 12.2 volts when you start your car . It's also useful to see the draw the different circuits on your vehicle pull ...

imageedit_6_2560026552_zpse9baa0df.gif

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I have a fuel pressure gauge after the fuel filters/water separator so I know when they need changing.....

I'm about to get my first diesel and a friend suggested I have a fuel pressure gauge.

Do you notice the pressure going down when the filters need changing?

Will a loss of fuel pressure cause damage to a diesel, or just make it shut off (much like running out of gas/diesel, I imagine) ?

Thanks very much,
-Dan

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I am the sort that likes to know what is going on with everything. I love the cockpit in aircraft because they are full of instruments. Most automotive dash boards don't lend themselves well to adding gauges and putting a punch of pods under and over the dash gets cluttered.
I think the basics are
oil pressure
fuel level
engine temp
volts
amperes
If you have a slush box then a temp gauge for that is good.

Many say you don't need a amp gauge but only a volt meter. The two gauges read different items. The problem these days is most vehicles have hi output alternators and running all that juice in the cabin then to the battery isn't the best idea and most ampere meters only read up to 60 amps before requiring a shunted gauge.

The most important thing is to understand what is normal for your rig and how to decipher what the instruments are telling you.

Darrell

Last edited:

verdesardog

Explorer
I'm about to get my first diesel and a friend suggested I have a fuel pressure gauge.

Do you notice the pressure going down when the filters need changing?

Will a loss of fuel pressure cause damage to a diesel, or just make it shut off (much like running out of gas/diesel, I imagine) ?

Thanks very much,
-Dan

If the pressure never goes down there is no reason to change fuel filters. If the pressure never goes down the filters are not doing anything. So yes a drop in pressure will be noticed when the filters start to get overloaded with gunk. Depending on which engine you have you will have different symptoms of a clogged filter. Some diesel engines can be severely damaged with low lift pump pressure.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Some diesel engines can be severely damaged with low lift pump pressure.

Thanks for the info.

Why do some engines get damaged with low pump pressure? Is it because the diesel fuel itself cools the combustion chambers?

My naive mind expects it would be just like running out of gas/diesel.. i.e. it just chugs to a stop, no hard done.

-Dan

XJLI

Adventurer
Digital voltmeter where the factory clock was, as well as water temp, oil pressure, and trans temp gauges. I don't have a decent picture of everything it seems...

PPjh5XP.png

spv41bd.png

Gauges are in an el cheapo pod, but it works. The most important thing was that the matched the rest of the interior lights... I'm weirdly OCD about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94