Upgrading to Gen II rear axle

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Guys, I have two 1994 Montero LS sitting in nearby yards and I want to do the rear locker upgrade. Do the Montero LS's come equipped with rear lockers?

Jay Ayala

Explorer
No, and they are also a different size ring gear (9" vs locker 9.5").

Eric, thanks for that tidbit. I was not aware that they were that different. When it comes to Gen I vehicles, I'm pretty sure I know about 90% of everything that it's equipped with, but Gen II, I'm kind of at a loss.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Sorry if I sounded abrupt earlier, wife was being a pain this morning. Only the 95-97 SR and 98-99 winter packaged models had the air locker with the larger axle setup, but keep looking though because the SR's pop up in the junkyard more often then you might expect. The 95-97 had the better gearing.

Eric M

Adventurer
92-94 also had a locker but I believe it was only optional on the SR. You never really see those years for sale for some reason.

plh

Explorer
92-94 also had a locker but I believe it was only optional on the SR. You never really see those years for sale for some reason.

92 - 94 used the 9" ring gear in the lockers as these trucks including SR had the 3.0L engine, and was an option ie: my '93 SR does not have one. So if people do a swap they usually go for the 9.5" ring behind the 3.5L SR engines

zukrider

Explorer
PLH, your partailly right. the 94SR had a 3.5, ive owned 2. both however, did not have a locker. but, they both had 9.5" rear diffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior