Avalanche?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Follow up to this thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ord-vs-Chevy-vs-Toyota-vs-Nissan-input-sought
I know I'd said I wasn't interested in a pickup because of size considerations but for some reason it didn't occur to me to look at the Avalanche until now.
Which is kind of funny because I've said in other threads (and I still think) that the Avalanche is, IMO, just a brilliant design because it combines the passenger carrying capacity of an SUV with the cargo capacity of a truck without being longer than an aircraft carrier like most double cab trucks are, and of course it does this by using the "back seat" area interchangeably for either cargo or passengers, as needed.
In fact, I've said before that I wish somebody had made a mid-sized vehicle with the same concept. I understand GMC made a version of their small SUV with a retractable roof and disappearing mid-gate but it was fairly short lived.
Anyway, just doing my on-line research and am wondering of those of you with the Avalanche can chime in with your real life experience.
From what I've seen there are two basic versions: The 2006 - earlier version was on the older (800?) platform and had the 5.3 V8 and 4 speed tranny, while the '07+ had the 5.3 and the 6 speed with a 6.0 V8 as an option, yes?
So I'll start with the question I can't seem to find an answer to: Real world MPG. Not expecting anything great, just wondering if it's in the same general range as the Tahoe (i.e. 14 - 19 with 4wd?) Don't the later (07+) V8's have the cylinder deactivation technology that's supposed to help with fuel economy? According to Edmunds it's got a 31 gallon tank, which I imagine is rather painful to fill when gas is over $4/gallon but seems like a nice big tank for long distance traveling.
Also any particular combos of years to avoid? I generally try not to get the first model year of any new redesign, so I'd probably avoid the '07. Other than that, I would think the 6 speed auto in the later models would be better overall, does that sound like a reasonable conclusion?
Prices seem on the high side, but that's kind of what I expect with a pickup vs. an SUV where prices seem generally to be lower for the same year and number of miles.
And I'm assuming with a long wheelbase of 130", it's probably a great tow vehicle, too.
Final question, does the Avalanche have the same "automatic 4wd" feature that the Tahoe and Suburban do? From the photos I think it does but it's not always easy to tell. I like the idea of a setting like this for intermittently icy or snowy roads.
Thanks in advance! :ylsmoke:

lunchwagon

I'm a new owner of an Avalanche, and was attracted to them for many of the same reasons as you. One thing I love about it is the ability to stealth camp by dropping the lower Midgate but leaving the back window and tonneau cover in place. If it gets cold just start the engine for a few mins.

Mine is a 2011 with the 5.3 and 6 speed tranny. I've only had it 2.5 months so we're still on the honeymoon, but I'm very happy with it so far.

There is a forum called AvalancheFanClub with great info on these trucks, and I researched heavily there before buying. My comments to your questions:

- cylinder deactivation: this started in 2007 and Chevy calls it AFM (active fuel management). Most of the experience I've come across says it saves 1-2 mpg at 65mph on the highway. However, the AFM is also believed to be the culprit of engine lifter failure that can be very costly (07-10 models, maybe newer also) Many GM owners use a tuner or Range AFM disabler to turn the function off so that you stay in V8 mode all the time. I just ordered the disabler from Range partly because of this known issue, but also because I didn't like the feel of the switching back and forth between modes at slower city speeds. Hard to explain, but it feels like a shudder or hesitation and like its lugging. My real world gas mileage so far is 14-15 city, and 17-18 freeway.

- towing: full disclosure, I haven't towed anything yet. With the K5L package I'm rated to tow 7900 lbs with the 5.3 and 3.42 gears. Make sure you don't get a 3.08 gear truck if you plan to tow. The K5L max tow package also comes with integrated brake controller and aux tranny cooler (not sure what year this started, but I think 09+).

- 4WD: yes, I believe they all have auto mode. Look for a truck with a 2 speed transfer case that has 4Low, some only have a single speed case with auto and 4Hi.

One thing to look carefully at is the payload. These trucks generally have smaller payloads than newer half ton full size trucks. Mine is about 1300. Fine for me because I prefer to travel light and you can't fit a pop up on these anyway.

Good luck with your search. There is at least one Avalanche build on Expo, by Henry J I think, so do a search for that. He did a great job with his first gen Avalanche.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
IM working on my avalanche too. I did not know about the AFM engine failure. Tuner in my future, plus I hate the shudder too. I was looking at the quick lift from rancho, but I think im going with the 3.5" lift off ebay with new upper control arms and transfer case drop. Also included is the skid plate. I am going to use pro comp 7000 shocks on it at the same time too. I am going to run 33's on it with new wheels. I have a 2010 LT, 2 speed transfer case, and not much extra.

I am searching for a Z71 front bumper setup now because I like the look of the silver in it and adding pocket flares for when I install the wheels. Its a very comfortable rig, I can pick up materials I need for work etc, and still have a cool rig for the family road trips. When you have a family, you build everything for the family. My JKU, Suburban, and my mazda 5 are all modified for family travel.

As for the payload, you can add a set of airbags to keep everything stable and level, plus they do make a camper for the back of them. its very neat actually., plus they also have tents to fit the back as well.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
BLT Offroad Avalanche
I am pretty happy with mine. I came from crew cab S-10 to the Avalanche. A trip over the Steens in the S-10 and a growing boy fueled the change in vehicles. I really did need the extra two cylinders of the V-8 and room for a boy who is not over 6' tall 200+ lbs and 14 years old. Same worries, mileage, offroad abilities (size) , durability, towing.

The S-10 was not known for super mileage. Best 20 mpg with a tail wind and downhill. Average around 15 mpg mostly city and towing. It was not uncommon to see 15-16 mpg on a fill. I knew I was going to take a hit with a bigger rig. I have seen a best of 18 mpg pulling our E1 back from Idaho falls. There was a stretch where it got 20 mpg, but that had to be one heck of a tailwind , or a short refill at the pump. That never has happened again. Real world: In the winter under harsh driving conditions, long trips offroad pulling the trailer I can see 11.9 mpg. I did see it drop into the 10 mpg range once, but again that might have been a short fill the time before. Most of the time it hovers between 13-15 mpg short tripping and daily duties. During the winter I am usually disappointed to see it hovering around 11-13mpg. Summer fuel and driving usually improves it. I see it much over or under 15 mpg, I start to wonder what is going on. Highway I do see it around 16 mpg, but not usually much more as I am usually pulling the trailer and loaded down. I knew I would sacrifice some mileage, and still do not regret it with the room that I have in the Avalanche. It is very comfortable.
I did as my last truck and added a transfer tank. That gets my range upward of 700 miles. I usually fill both tanks around 400-500 miles to keep the main tank closer to half. Best mod ever. There is a shock at the pump ($$) but doing that monthly or less makes it easier. I ride two wheels during the summer to offset cost :)

Mine is a 2005 with the 5.3L. Several reasons for my choice.
No cladding. Same as the Silverado in many ways. Front sheetmetal interchanges. Lots of parts availability.
I have 230k miles on a 5.3l at my fulltime job. No issues. That builds some confidence for the Avalanche having about 110k on it now.
I have been around the 1500 Silverado suspension and know the weak points. Those addressed it is a good platform for the terrain I frequent. Rides the roads like a caddy and offroads like a trophy truck. I like the older a-arm suspension for durability. The struts on newer models are easier to lift though.
You already mentioned the 8' bed and how handy that has been with a load of lumber from Homedepot. The wheelbase is the same as a suburban and very manageable offroad.
Mine is geared LOW. I got the 4.10 gears. It handles the almost 34" tires nicely and is a better final ratio for the highway. I get my best mileage at 55 mph. Hard to stay down there when the speed limit is 75-80 mph on the highways now. That gear set is awesome for pulling the trailer.

bumper2.jpg

It is a long term keeper. I have considered getting one of the new ones just to have one of the last model years produced trucks, but I am not sure I want to start over. Mine is in its happy place and works so well for us. Lots of stuff on the page I linked. Feel free to ask questions :)

EDIT: EP thread: Avalanche build anyone?

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks for all the info. HenryJ I have to say I love that bumper. Shopping around I'm just wondering if there's much difference between the later version with the AFM and the 6 speed auto vs. the non AFM + 4 speed. In a way I'm kind of thinking that the older, less technically complex version might be better for longevity, especially since I'd most likely be buying a vehicle with 110k+ miles on it.
Of course this is all speculation still. My 4runner has been doing fine on the relatively short trips I've been taking, although MPG has been disappointing at 12 - 14 MPG pulling the trailer. To be fair, all of my recent trips have included a lot of idling due to cold weather or traffic jams, so it's probably not a truly representative measure. We have a short (more or less local) camping trip coming up this weekend but then over Memorial Day we're going to Gates of Lodore in the Northwestern corner of the state, and that will be the first real measure of how the 4runner tows the bigger trailer.
Again, thanks for all the info.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Martin, I have 70k on my avalanche right now and have not had any issues at all with it. I feel they are very reliable

snowblind

Adventurer
Anyway, just doing my on-line research and am wondering of those of you with the Avalanche can chime in with your real life experience.

From what I've seen there are two basic versions: The 2006 - earlier version was on the older (800?) platform and had the 5.3 V8 and 4 speed tranny, while the '07+ had the 5.3 and the 6 speed with a 6.0 V8 as an option, yes?

There was also a 3/4 ton version. I think that was pre-2006 only. Available with the 8.1 and maybe also the 6.0. Specs were similar to the Suburban 2500.

So I'll start with the question I can't seem to find an answer to: Real world MPG. Not expecting anything great, just wondering if it's in the same general range as the Tahoe (i.e. 14 - 19 with 4wd?)

Assuming the same gear ratios the fuel economy should be the same but 14mpg is best case in stop n' go. Real world? 11/16mpg

According to Edmunds it's got a 31 gallon tank, which I imagine is rather painful to fill when gas is over $4/gallon but seems like a nice big tank for long distance traveling.

It's great having a bigger tank but these things drink gas. My Suburban has two tanks that add up to something like 38 gallons. With the 8.1 liter it's hard to get 400 miles out of a tank unless all highway

Also any particular combos of years to avoid? I generally try not to get the first model year of any new redesign, so I'd probably avoid the '07. Other than that, I would think the 6 speed auto in the later models would be better overall, does that sound like a reasonable conclusion?

You'll need to research this more. 6-speed is usually better but not always. It might provide lower gear for low speed and taller gear for high speed or might just put two more gears in the middle for incremental fuel economy improvement.

Prices seem on the high side, but that's kind of what I expect with a pickup vs. an SUV where prices seem generally to be lower for the same year and number of miles.

Around here Avalanches are more expensive than gas pickups, Tahoes are more expensive than Suburbans, 1/2 ton SUVs are more expensive than 3/4 ton and Duramax are TWO TIMES more expensive than everything. :)

And I'm assuming with a long wheelbase of 130", it's probably a great tow vehicle, too.

Yup. And that 130" is the same as the Suburban. I don't know of the frames are identical but I bet they are close.

Matt

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
There was also a 3/4 ton version. I think that was pre-2006 only. Available with the 8.1 and maybe also the 6.0. Specs were similar to the Suburban 2500.
Yeah, I was doing a little on-line shopping and had to do a double take when I saw one with 8 lug wheels. Turns out it was the 2500 version. Heavy duty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94