Superwinch LP8500

IggyB

Adventurer
I've seen these at very good prices.

Does anyone know if they're made in the States or in China?

LP8500LG.jpg

sidewys xj

Observer
China

As far as I know thay are made in China I think Ramsay and Warn are the only ones made in the USA anymore and Warn inports most of thare parts from China snach blocks d rings gloves skid plates All from China

As Far as I know

Luke

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I love my Superwinch (EPi9.0), and I thought it was american made. There was a discussion about this on another thread a long time ago so I e-mailed Superwinch to find out where the winches were manufactured.

This is what I got from Superwinch:
The EP/EPi series are imported from China, but built to our spec with improved (hardened) parts. The rest of the big winches are built in the U.S.

sidewys xj

Observer
Winch

Dont get me wrong I think superwinch is a good winch also thay have been around for years I new it was somthing like that??

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
From a casual glance, it looks better made than a Smittybuilt, Milemarker, or Champion- even though the winches are made in the same factory in China (accorrding to the internet buzz I've seen). If they are holding the manufacturer to tight standards, it might be a good buy. The series-wound motor and remote are certainly a step up from the other low-price leaders. I'm holding off until I see some serious real-world testing.

I can get a Warn M8000 (roller fairlead) for under $600 locally, which is about what it would cost to ship one up here. Through most vendors the Superwinch would run about $50-$100 less. I'm not sure it's worth it, given my firsthand positive experience with the Warn. Tough call, but certainly an option to watch. The Chinese winches are probably going to become the norm in the not-too-distant future, so hopefully quality is on the rise.

Until then, I'm also looking at a Tifor...

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Here is some good reading for you:

An article came out a while back where an independent winch evaluation was done in Moab. They took like 12 different winches and threw everything they could at them over a few day period.

When the test was over there were only 3 winches left alive - Chicago Electric, Warn & Superwinch. They rated the Warn as the #1 only because it has a better warranty, but the Superwinch cost less, draws less amps, and has faster line speed.

I got my winch in a package deal for $850 and it came with:
  • The winch
  • The remote
  • 100' of Viking synthetic line
  • Aluminum Hawse fairlead
  • Snatch Block
  • Your choice of hook/thimble

http://winchline.com/winch.htm

Last edited:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Compare the LP8500 specs (check line speed) on the Superwinch website, and you'll see it isn't the winch that the EP9.0 is. Not even in the same class. That unloaded line speed is the big kicker, especially if you're doing a series of pulls. Think duty cycle and amp draw.

The comparison between the M8000 and the EP9.0 is pretty valid, since they have similar price points. I can certainly see that it is possible to have a Chinese-made winch that performs as well as the American made ones. I'm still waiting a bit to see how this all pans out over time.

I've always been a big fan of Superwinch, but the availability of spare parts locally has kept me from putting one on my rig. I've never had an issue with Warn, but it's nice to know that I can source a lot of the parts 20 minutes from home intead of waiting for shipping (not to mention the cost).

Maybe I'll just build a 8274 mounting bracket for the Rover and move mine between it and the CJ-5 as needed. With the savings, I can probably afford to spool it with high-quality rope (and drop the weight) and buy some blingy recovery gear. Yellow straps are just so '90s.

targa88

Explorer
IggyB said:
I've seen these at very good prices.

Does anyone know if they're made in the States or in China?

LP8500LG.jpg

IggyB,
Since you are North of the border you might want to look into Titan winches also (out of Ontario).
I suspect that CT is selling the LP8500....

cnskate

Adventurer
It looks an awful lot like the Smittybuilt XCR8 winch which sells for less than $300, but still has good reviews.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
images.ashx

Similar, but I'm not sure if they're the same. Their made in the same factory, so obviously there will be some parts crossover.

cnskate

Adventurer
Alaska Mike said:
images.ashx

Similar, but I'm not sure if they're the same. Their made in the same factory, so obviously there will be some parts crossover.

That picture looks like the older version of the XCR8, the newer version looks more like the Superwinch.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I heard they went to a series-wound motor, so I imagine they have gotten a little better. However, if the specs match the Superwinch, they're going to be dog-slow too. Fast doesn't matter to everyone, but it does to some of us. The amp draw is also of particular concern.

Comparison (based on manufacturer published specs):
Winch Line Pull Lbs Line SpeedFT./min Motor Current
Warn 8274-50 0 73.4 55 amps
Warn M8000 0 42 80 amps
Superwinch LP85000 0 18.0 84 amps

To unwind/wind the winch cable the same distance, the Superwinch takes over twice as long and will likely use twice the current that a M8000 will use- something to consider when using it with a stock battery/alternator setup.

Interesting when the load goes up to around 6000lbs, the gap narrows a bit. It may be due to different testing methods. I don't know if I've ever winched this amount of weight before in a dead pull, so it may be a moot point.

Winch Line Pull Lbs Line SpeedFT./min Motor Current
Warn 8274-50 6000 9.50 350 amps
Warn M8000 6000 9.79 350 amps
Superwinch LP85000 6500 6.0 270 amps

Check the reviews on Pirate and other forums for the LP8500 and the Smittybuilt 8K winch, and make your own decision based on your needs.Go in educated as much as possible, and don't base it purely on price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles