Expo equipment/mod weight thoughts

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Phil, I load chages all the time, which is why I chose airbags. Most of my time, im empty and my jeep rides awesome at she sits. but I want to be able t tow my pop up, and camping gear for the weekend etc. Fill up the bags and go on my merry way. Once done, air down and back to nice ride empty.

Honu

lost on the mainland
as I have read understand airbags can kill articulation and amount of travel so when at the destination and getting into the spot my reason for not using them was my suspension would not be working properly

if getting to a place then unloading and going in I can see why they would be good alternative especially with a trailer :)
my FJ had the heavy heavy OME and loved it though everything when overloaded with weight worked and rode like it should
of course daily was kinda harsh :)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The amount that airbags limit travel is NOT a lot. You would probably not even notice unless you have the before and after on an RTI ramp or something. The adjustable spring rate is worth the .5" loss of flex I loose.

Honu

lost on the mainland
thanks :) again only why I said what I have read and thought :) so good to hear some feedback on that :)

I have thought cheap way to help out when loaded up to and from a place without sacrificing the non loaded times

ordered a set today http://www.amazon.com/LIFT-60809-Series-Air-Spring/dp/B001CW6IBU for the T4R figure worth a shot to keep some sag out :)
thanks again for some input back on these and wold agree if true .5 inch no biggy for keeping the sag down etc...
hope to get them in on Mon morning some time as long as I can do it myself and wont need a wrench hand :)

The amount that airbags limit travel is NOT a lot. You would probably not even notice unless you have the before and after on an RTI ramp or something. The adjustable spring rate is worth the .5" loss of flex I loose.

Last edited:

bumper crop

Do you have any photos of that Detours USA bolt on spare carrier? I don't see it on their site. Do you know if it's still available?

The_Dude

Adventurer
Best I have right now
c50d801d375165bdbebb778377c1a88b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Dude

Adventurer
"The_Dude" you are on the correct track to take into account the weight being added to the vehicle.
This is not so critical for the weekend warrior, but true over-landers this is more important.

There are many variables when you change the configuration the a vehicle. Where is the weight added (high or low, front or back). This is adding the weight of the gear and add-ons make handling of the vehicle change.

One thing many people over look is the tires when they keep adding weight. Granted many people get a larger tire then the stock. These may not be able to carry the additional weight (they could be a B,C or D rated tire when they should have been a E rated tire for the added weight. The larger tires are added weight. Granted they are added above the springs, but they change the configuration of the vehicle manufactures engineering of the vehicle. Is the drive train up to the added stress? Are the braking abilities now up to the job?

The suspension is still important, but only a part of the equation. Soft springs and the shocks will take a beating as they try and control the added weight. The weak shocks will add additional body roll and weight transfer. Both of these can cause loss of control at highway speeds.

Many overlanding people think that they have to have everything sold with the overlanding look. This a marking ploy by manufactures to sell their product. Good example; High lifting jack (farm jack), they have the tough look, but where would you use it on your vehicle? Where will you carry it? With some of the accessories you could do some of the uses it can do, but lifting your vehicle is very limited with one of them. The jack and accessories weight about 100 pounds.

Good luck with your build.

I have used the jack a few times fixing tires. It mostly sits up there but it was wicked handy when I needed it. I use it on my sliders .

underdrive

jackwagon
The_Dude, that's just it though, you have proper sliders, and obviously also a trailer hitch, so you got the jacking points covered. But on our travels we've seen quite a few peeps with lifted trucks with no sliders and still factory bumpers, yet a nice Hi-Lift chilling in the bed usually above the fender - yeah it lifts high, but first you gotta have something to lift by :D Which I think was the point FrenchieXJ was making.

bumper crop

Do you like it? I don't know about a tilt down spare and lifting the weight of that every time I wanted to get into the hatch.

The_Dude

Adventurer
It's not bad actually. I like the way lighter weight than a full on bumper. While not as convenient as a swing out its a lot less in the way than a swing out (having to walk all the way around said swing outs) and helps me the rig simpler. It's not that heavy really to lift up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I take weight, center of gravity, and aero dynamics into consideration. I dont put anything outside the truck, i even took the roof rack off. This pig will do 23 mpg at 55mph. Gotta get the most out of my 18gal fuel tank.

Also for our two week camping roadtrip coming up I did some modifications. I removed the rear seats saved me maybe 75lbs (EDIT: I weighed them. 69 lbs plus a couple more for the retractacting center seatbelt)and a ton of space. I then found a cooler to sit on the rear floor. The cooler loaded with ice/water/food will be the heaviest object in the truck besides myself and having it low and in the center still lets me drive like a race car driver.

Last edited:

The_Dude

Adventurer
I take weight, center of gravity, and aero dynamics into consideration. I dont put anything outside the truck, i even took the roof rack off. This pig will do 23 mpg at 55mph. Gotta get the most out of my 18gal fuel tank.

Also for our two week camping roadtrip coming up I did some modifications. I removed the rear seats saved me maybe 75lbs and a ton of space. I then found a cooler to sit on the rear floor. The cooler loaded with ice/water/food will be the heaviest object in the truck besides myself and having it low and in the center still lets me drive like a race car driver.

Pics of the rig?

Do you store fuel inside?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Pics of the rig?

Do you store fuel inside?

It's not nearly as cool as an 80 series but there here you go. No I don't store fuel inside.

I've thrown my tool kit, tow strap and jumper cables in the "dips" in the floor. I cut a piece of plywood to make a flat level surface that just sits on top. I have another black box that easily fits on top of the first for miscellaneous gear. This concentrates all the heavy gear centrally in the truck. I built a plywood box in the rear for gear but didnt like the space it took up or the weight. Might try to make a shelf instead. Want to give our little dogs a space to rest and look out all the windows back there.

20160508_111016.jpg

20160508_110656.jpg20160508_110758.jpg

As far as adding sliders and bumpers and tire carriers, not on this rig. This is the cheap grocery getter. Gotta buy another duplex before I start building up my cars.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior