building my dream...

Don Raptor

Observer
Hi folks!

Over a year ago I sold my Ford Raptor (I just didn't fit in my garage...or so).
As a replacement I bought a 2003 G500 that needed some attention.
With the build of mk216v (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/78051-O-erlanderwagen-build) in my mind I started building my own dream.
Doing some work to the engine (getting a service, new plugs, new filters), treating the G-specific issues (window regulators, rear door, belt drive...) it started to look better.

than I found out that soooo many things needed to be on a G to make it a good Camper...
Frontrunner Slim Line II roof rack (with many options like beer bottle opener and other important features like trailer hitch from http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/)
ARB roof top tent with annex
ARB awning with mosquito net (living in Michigan rain and mosquitos are kinda common)

photo 2[1].jpgG up north.jpg

after some weeks of camping (the summer was over), we (as in me and my finance minister) figured out that some thoughts for organizing (and some additions) were needed.
the last summer was utilized to purchase more essential stuff (overlanders always find ways to justify purchases) and an additional rear luggage compartment was build.

IMG_1773.JPG

I build this by myself with the use of plywood, black paint, a oversized door mat (cut to the right size) and some spray glue.
This addition was build because the drawer system from Frontrunner wasn't available fast enough.
And I must say, it works perfect!

IMG_1778.JPG

we tried this out this last weekend (minor changes will be done...) and enjoyed being able to pack the G within 30min.
hilift and extra fuel (the G has some poor understanding of fuel economy...) were not needed but one need to see if a fits...(black powder coated rims and new tires, I choose Cooper Discoverer AT3 thx to expeditionportal.com!)

IMG_1828.jpg

and using all the stuff needed for BBQ and setting up camp was easy and fast!

IMG_1846.jpg

more things will come (lights, dual battery set up and whatever I see and like...) but I am very happy so far!

Enjoying the outdoors,
Malte

McBride

Adventurer
Sweet! Looking like very nice accommodations. Your finance minister is super cool! Enjoy the trails!

Claytorr

What are the black boxes in the back of the G? I am currently looking for something to store tools and extra parts in the back of ours.

ILIAN

Adventurer
You have started out great with a G and Front Runner gear, just keep in mind stacking those bulky fuel tanks on the roof rack is going to make your gas mileage even worse and increase wind noise. Of course Front Runner don't mention the negative aspects of their products. I customized my Front Runner rack, made it longer and use low profile Rotopax with their mounts to keep fuel on the roof rack and inside the car. I also sleep inside, no bulky RTT. You can fabricate an aluminum wind baffle to go in the front of the RTT at an angle for less drag. So far I have 5 Rotopax containers with a total capacity of 15.5 gal. When needed I plan on buying another 4 gal one. The custom roof rack allows me to fit a light bar under it in the front.

Don Raptor

Observer
well...
I was considering fuel consumption.
no roof rack = 13.5mpg (driving 70-75mph), some wind noise
only roof rack = 13mpg (same speed), more wind noise
with RTT = 12.7mpg (same speed), not that much more wind noise
and I definitely don't want fuel inside the cab and we really like the room the RTT creates (two of us wouldn't fit inside the G together with the gear)
maybe I build a wind deflector (my roof rack covers already the whole roof...)

ILIAN

Adventurer
My roof rack is only 8" longer (1 slat) so dosn't look bad. The rotopax are actually sealed 100% so no gas fumes if you keep the gas inside. They are durable enough to survive being run over by a car without crushing. I've been keeping them inside the car with no issues. I posted some pictures of my roof rack on a thread here a couple months ago.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Looking superb Malte!! Best of all so glad to see you and the finance minister(LOL!!!) enjoying quick trips in your G!
I am so glad O'erlandewagen helped push your dream forward. So grateful to help!!

Don Raptor

Observer
Looking superb Malte!! Best of all so glad to see you and the finance minister(LOL!!!) enjoying quick trips in your G!
I am so glad O'erlandewagen helped push your dream forward. So grateful to help!!

And I am still working on making it more O'erlandewagen-like!
The Koni RAID's are in the garage, the 2nd battery setup is almost done. with 2 relays, 230V inverter (being from Germany most of my gear runs 230V...) and fuse box.
I am still thinking about the drawer system from Frontrunner, but for now the simple solution works way to good to convince the finance minister.
And the finance minister isn't sold on Hutchinson's...(running on 21ish PSI still works without popping a bead). We'll see...
Interior-wise I am trying to replicate Karl's awesome storage net solution as it is not available anymore :-(

anyone from Michigan fancies a trip? ;-)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
And I am still working on making it more O'erlandewagen-like!
The Koni RAID's are in the garage, the 2nd battery setup is almost done. with 2 relays, 230V inverter (being from Germany most of my gear runs 230V...) and fuse box.
I am still thinking about the drawer system from Frontrunner, but for now the simple solution works way to good to convince the finance minister.
And the finance minister isn't sold on Hutchinson's...(running on 21ish PSI still works without popping a bead). We'll see...
Interior-wise I am trying to replicate Karl's awesome storage net solution as it is not available anymore :-(

anyone from Michigan fancies a trip? ;-)

Awesome!!

Any word from Front Runner why they stopped making their cargo net setup?

Don Raptor

Observer
More unnecessary items added

Having a fridge/freezer and no confidence in the low battery shut off of it, I made and installed a 2nd battery setup. (I had left-overs from my boat...)
It uses two heavy duty relays. One connects to the main vehicle battery and one fires up all the gizmos...
I installed the ARB fridge connector, a 12V cigarette outlet and a USB charging outlet (with 1Amp per outlet for iPads...) and also a digital 230V inverter (being from Germany I have more 230V charger than 115V...).
Also I hard-wired my battery charger directly to the battery (CTEK delivers actually that piece with the charger!).
Still a work in progress. It will be put to test soon on a trip to the UP...
IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne