Mid to upper end handheld GPS?

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Which would you recommend?
WeatherProof
Touchscreen would be nice, but not required
using it mainly to follow offroading tracks in case I get lost/separated/injuries occur for extract.
turn by turn would be nice for on the road as well.
amazon prime would be lovely as I need it for this weekend

Last edited:

robgendreau

Explorer
Garmin Oregon 600, on sale at REI for $220US. If they have any left. Touchscreen, maps, including customizable ones, microSD slot, weatherproof, AA batteries (can recharge NiMH in unit), etc for anyone else that may be looking.

moabian

etrex20 is all anyone needs...

and all anyone needs to get around is a Moped. I've used virtually every GPS Garmin has come out with in the past 25 years, and my vote for a mid to upper end handheld also goes to Garmin's Montana 600.

What about the GPSMAP 64s? It doesn't have as big of a screen and isn't touch screen (which I don't think is a bad thing) but I've read a lot of reviews that say it picks up and holds satellites much better than either the Oregon or Montana.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
etrex20 is all anyone needs.....download FREE maps at gpsfiledepot.com

I have had a couple of Etrex Vista (or as we referred to it, the worlds smallest artillery spotting/plotting computer) GPSs, and now have a Garmin 62, still all have too small a screen for vehicle usage. I'm looking for a hardshell case for my wife's soon to be re-purposed Gen I iPad. Anyone had good luck re-purposing an old iPad as a vehicle GPS?

Rubicon54

Just returned from back country of Canyonlands, along White Rim Trail. Purchased the Magellan Explorist 610, that includes 24k topo maps. Touch screen and easy to navigate. Easy to download gpx files from other free sites with way points and tracks. Satellite acquisition extremely fast, accuracy 10-15 feet. It lasts longer on lithium batteries, but I would recommend the windshield and car power kit. Amazon.com purchase.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I have had a couple of Etrex Vista (or as we referred to it, the worlds smallest artillery spotting/plotting computer) GPSs, and now have a Garmin 62, still all have too small a screen for vehicle usage. I'm looking for a hardshell case for my wife's soon to be re-purposed Gen I iPad. Anyone had good luck re-purposing an old iPad as a vehicle GPS?

Like this? Ipad 1 bought for $80 with several map apps, I like Scenic Maps, but there are many to choose from. I use a Otterbox case with Ram mount arm and sockets with a frame clamp mount. It has a hard wired power plug. The Ipad has built in GPS and is wi-fi only. You can download government maps for free. Mine is a 64, and I would think a 32 is about minimum for memory. I have the entire Western US maps in mine.

Once you use a tablet, forget small gps devices.

I also use a Garmin 60CSX on my dirk motorcycles. These are good units, and they most popular unit for this activity. The Montana is good, but the touch screen is hard to use with gloves.

Attachments

• P1100255.JPG
    P1100255.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 39
  • P1090653.JPG
    P1090653.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 43

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Like this? Ipad 1 bought for $80 with several map apps, I like Scenic Maps, but there are many to choose from. I use a Otterbox case with Ram mount arm and sockets with a frame clamp mount. It has a hard wired power plug. The Ipad has built in GPS and is wi-fi only. You can download government maps for free. Mine is a 64, and I would think a 32 is about minimum for memory. I have the entire Western US maps in mine.

Once you use a tablet, forget small gps devices.

I also use a Garmin 60CSX on my dirk motorcycles. These are good units, and they most popular unit for this activity. The Montana is good, but the touch screen is hard to use with gloves.

I really like that setup! I'll double check the installed memory on the iPad and start looking for a hard case for it. I have a bracket that should mount a RAM ball to the left side of the grab bar above the glove box.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Try the demo Scenic Maps app has. It remains resident on your machine and other than initial download no further downloads. I use Scenic Maps West version on I Pad mini with Ram X mount on a Ram suction Mount (strongest suction mount I've ever had too.)

doug720

Expedition Leader
Second on Scenic Maps app. That is the a picture of the SM app display in my post above. Many choices in map displays, and the maps used are US Government maps and they are FREEEEEE!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94