Why Mitsubishi for a year in Mexico? Other options?

azoutdoorsman

I may get flogged for this, but I'll give an alternative opinion.

For what it's worth, I own a 91 Montero RS, which I think was a fantastic value. My other vehicle is a 02 Mercedes ML500.

The ML was purchased with 120k miles for under $6k. It is not the most attractive or popular body style, but the frame is super tough, it's comfortable, 2x as powerful as my Montero, and a superior vehicle in every way. The 325 lb ft of torque still gets me over 18mpg combined driving.

Parts are fairly inexpensive, and widely available. It's not as low key as a Montero because of the tristar in the grill, but it's obviously not a new truck either.

The ML doesn't have the rugged off-road reputation that your other mentioned choices have, but it is more capable on factory Dunlop tires than my stock 91 Montero on 31 inch BFG AT KO tires. The electronic systems make him climbs a breeze with steady acceleration. The ground clearance is excellent.

Just something else to consider. Of the ones you mentioned, I vote Montero simply for value. You will pay 1/2 what a LC will cost, with similar features.

2015-05-21_09-14-37 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

grox

Observer
It's with a heavy heart that I've officially crossed the Land Cruiser off my list. I love the ride and build quality but I'm afraid to buy one, and do the preventative maintenance, would be over our 10k max. So, unless an incredible deal falls into my lap, I'm looking for something else.

Thanks for the info on the ML500. I'll look around. Would certainly need to tone it down a bit.

Tell me more about the Montero. I'm having a hard time finding a Gen 2 to test drive, but there seem to be plenty of Gen 3's and are priced around 4k. Anything in particular I should look for? Watch out for?

kbahus

Adventurer
I am slowly working on a FAQ for the gen3. Here are some good reads:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/133780-Gen-3-debate-3-5-or-3-8

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...edition-Build-2003-Mitsubishi-Montero-Limited

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/118673-New-additions-to-my-GEN3!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/81212-ImNoSaint-s-Gen-III-Build?highlight=imnosaint

I would spend a lot of time looking through this forum to learn about the common issues/problems:
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

While the Montero is a good value, finding one with any type of maintenance records or repair history is very tough. While the initial purchase price is usually appealing, bringing the vehicle up to par for a Mexico trip would likely put you at around that 10k price point depending on what you want to do with it. On my personal vehicle purchased with 140k on the clock I have found pretty much every wear item worn out like shocks, rear springs broken, all front end ball joints bad, brake caliper issues, wheel bearings, rear control arms, gear oil, transmission fluid, coolant, tires, alignment, timing belt, reseal valve covers etc etc. It all adds up pretty fast especially if you have to pay someone for labor. Granted any used vehicle may have these issues, but the pool for purchasing options is much more limited with the Montero.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Sports are cool, I had one. They are lighter and geared lower, smaller body too. The early ones had lower roofs and didn't offer me enough headroom (6'2") they changed in '01 or '02 with more head room. Nice trucks though, based on the Mitsubishi pickups.

gdlals

I had my 2000 Montero Endeavor (full size Montero) in Guadalajara for 8 years. No problems. We drove up and down Costa Allegre including Sayulita many times. Parts are available but the distribution network for Mitsubishi isn't the best so sometimes parts have to be ordered and imported from the USA.

If you are in Sayulita the closest dealers with parts will be in Puerto Vallarta. I don't think there is a Mitsubishi dealer there, for sure there is Nissan. If you can't find a dealer in PV, then the parts come from Guadalajara.

Cars with the most parts available in Mexico on your list: Nissan Pathfinder, VW, and then Mitsubishi. Toyota is an expensive brand in Mexico so you'll pay for Toyota. Others to consider: Ford Explorer, GM Suburban. Avoid luxury models like Land Cruiser, Mercedes, Jeep (especially Liberty).

gdlals

Narcotraficantes like Jeep Liberty, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep in general. A Montero or Nissan is much less conspicuous.

grox

Observer
And the winner is....

After researching and finally driving a Gen 3 Montero, I can safely say that this is what we'll be using for our year in Mexico. Very impressed with the way these drive and from the research, they're very capable off-road as well. Very impressed. I have it narrowed down to 3 right now. Two out of state, and one locally that I'm waiting to see in person before pulling the trigger.

grox

Observer
Well well well.... I went and did it. Not a Gen 3 like I thought. I bought this Gen 2.5. Two owners, endeavor package, recently serviced (value guides) with all service records, very bottom of my budget and ready to drive. Sold! Plus, the 2.5's look great! She's a clean California vehicle with 150k. I'll be flying out next Thursday to drive her back to Colorado. Not much planned for now. Remove running boards, couple lights, bike rack and call it a day for a while.

Attachments

• 00202_3g17RsHXMEw_600x450.jpg
    00202_3g17RsHXMEw_600x450.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 00M0M_fvJtFMjSh5k_600x450.jpg
    00M0M_fvJtFMjSh5k_600x450.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

plh

Explorer
Well well well.... I went and did it. Not a Gen 3 like I thought. I bought this Gen 2.5. Two owners, endeavor package, recently serviced (value guides) with all service records, very bottom of my budget and ready to drive. Sold! Plus, the 2.5's look great! She's a clean California vehicle with 150k. I'll be flying out next Thursday to drive her back to Colorado. Not much planned for now. Remove running boards, couple lights, bike rack and call it a day for a while.

Timing belt and Water pump done? looks like a nice truck.

Eric M

Adventurer
Odd that is has no fog lights, does it have the rear locker? The last one I saw without the fog lights was a base model without leather seats or anything.

grox

Observer
Timing belt/water pump done at 110,000. Yes, leather seats. I don't believe 2000 came with a rear locker (has center dif lock). I won't be doing any hardcore off-roading so I'm OK with that. Hmmmm, did all endeavor packages come with fog lights? CarFax was clean no accidents. Anyone have an Endeavor bumper cover for sale?

Last edited:

grox

Observer
Well damn! After more research I got cold feet and canceled the deal. Ugh! The search continues....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz