What to look for in a 60 series.

pfcrayb

Observer
So as the title states I'm going to be looking at a 60 series soon. It's a 1989 to be specific. I wanted to see besides the normal stuff to look for i.e. frame rot, coolant colour (see if oil is mixed) and normal wear and tear, is there anything to watch out for.

microbrew

have a compression test done, find out any changes the PO did especially if it involved wiring, previous PO wiring jobs can be nightmares sometimes.

doug720

Expedition Leader
First, if it's a North American model built in 1989, it's a 62. If it's a 62, they are all automatic transmissions with a fuel injected 2fe engine. All 60's were manual 4 speeds with a carb'd 2f. Good and bad to 60's and 62's, it;s mainly preference, but the automatics are expensive to overhaul and seem to get lower MPG's. 60's have 2 round headlights and 62's have 4 rectangular lights.

On both models, rust is the curse, and as Neil Young said, "Rust never sleeps!"

Check the front axle balls for caked on grease or leaks, as this will tell you if you need an overhaul right a way. Looked for hacked wiring, as this will cause lots of headaches down the road.

Find the lowest mileage, with least rust, in the best condition.

Both are good, but a 60 looks better!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
First, if it's a North American model built in 1989, it's a 62. If it's a 62, they are all automatic transmissions with a fuel injected 2fe engine. All 60's were manual 4 speeds with a carb'd 2f. Good and bad to 60's and 62's, it;s mainly preference, but the automatics are expensive to overhaul and seem to get lower MPG's. 60's have 2 round headlights and 62's have 4 rectangular lights.

Check the front axle balls for caked on grease or leaks, as this will tell you if you need an overhaul right a way. Looked for hacked wiring, as this will cause lots of headaches down the road.

Canadian models have been making their way south, so both 4 and 6 cylinder diesels with 5 speed trannies are available in "North America". We got those from 81-89. BJ 60s and HJ 60s. Left hand drive. Rare, and likely rusty, but they run on the smell of an oily rag!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

Toyota never made a 2fe. A 62 has a 3fe.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

R.G.

Dime Trucker
If they are looking corroded the ground wires are rotting to. That has been the latest hassle with my 62. The wires will be intact, but if you strip the insulation the wire will look like an old penny instead of a nice copper color.

The oil pan skid plate is another place to look. If the dirt has packed its self in the gap between the skid plate, and the pan clean it out. If the dirt feels soggy, and oily you will likely need to replace the pan, the bottom has rusted out.

Check the rain gutter for cracks in the sealant. As old as the 60/62 series trucks are, you may as well plan on re sealing that if it has not been done already.

Aside from that do the usual checks like any other used vehicle, and the Ih8 mud forum should be bookmarked. I use it often. Toyotas are tanks, especially the old Landcruisers, because of that some times they end up with a lot of half assed repairs, or maintenance neglect. Mine just got pulled in the garage for a wile so I can get her good as new again...well as new as a 27 year old truck can get.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
THE most important thing to look for, and decide on is no/low rust. Everything else is secondary.

Darksoul

I do love mine, it's the truck I always wanted, but it is getting up there, 25 yrs old, and parts are starting to get hard to find. Part of me wants to do a diesel conversion for better mpg, but I think I am just gonna start fresh with a Tacoma 4 door. I'm going to be putting mine up for sale soon :) , interior is 95% , exterior is about 80-90% (a few new scratches, one down to primer), engine still fires on first twist of the key, trans was just rebuilt less than 500 miles ago, also has sliders on it now.

The main things that I have found in my original search to look out for are

- rust in roof gutters
- rust around wagon windows
- front axle seals (keep in mind that the wider 60 axles are in high high demand since they are a bit wider than say the FJ40 axles, they are worth a lot on their own)
- transmission condition, and local trans shop that can repair.
- if a lift was done, specifically an spring over axle, make sure steering has been corrected
- if it already has an engine swap, make sure it's legal in your state
- as was mentioned above, aftermarket wiring can be a mess, so really take a look under the dash for a rats nest of wiring
- lots of vacuum lines (stock motor) so make sure they are in good shape, not all cracked and such.

IMG_0227_zps3dbd7936.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior