Handheld GPS without maps

robgendreau

Explorer
I am seeking a GPS unit to use for geotagging photos. But of course it would be nice to use it for more than that (and yes, I have a smartphone that'll do GPS but it isn't working out for me so let's not go offtopic on that issue).

At first I thought perhaps I could kill two birds with one credit card and get a GPS with bluetooth and a 10hz minimum refresh that I could use for track days as well with Harry's Lap Timer. Alas, the nicest one for that use, the XGPS160, doesn't out GPX (??) and so isn't suitable. And it's headless, which subtracts a point or two.

The next up was a Bad Elf. They are rather spendy, but do have a display, pretty long battery life, and a decent interface. They work with iOS, but not the Mac. The Pro+ does via USB, which is a plus. Not sure if there's an Android app.

So I thought perhaps something like a Garmin eTrex, since they seem to be cheaper than that. I still have Garmin Basecamp on my computer, which I hated. Maybe it would work out better.

Basically I need really easy downloading (via USB or BT) of GPX routes; that's the priority. Being able to use it with an iPhone or Android device that is in airplane mode would be good too (if the latter are in airplane mode they don't hunt for signal and use up tons of battery time, which leaves them useful for storage of GPS tracks and photos and such).

Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94