why is a habitat so much more than a regular flip pac

Iused to have aregular flip pac on my tacoma and would love to have another one on my rubicon. ( sold the tacoma and the flip) but the cost is through the roof. I had an 07 toy paid I think $4500 for the flip pac but the at- habitat is is $9800 Why? what is it about the habitat that makes it so much?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Better tent, new product on market, smaller runs, not a side business.

Now lets compare. Pricing on Adventure Trailer's website (they don't sell them)
FlipPac Mini Truck Shell with integrated tent and mattress for Mini Truck, 63″, 74″ 76″ & 78″long. (Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Toyota Hillux, Ford Ranger, Chevy Colorado) $6242

I had a friend price out a FP with windoors, fly and it was close to $8,000 with shipping. So I think they are closer than you realize.
PS, did you pay $4500 for a new one?

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
I paid $4,600 OTD from FRP in August of 2012. Picked it up in December of 2012. No windows, rain fly, or shipping though. The prices went up right after that. Before taxes, it was around $4,300.

I'm not saying the JK AT Habitat isn't priced competitively. Just stating what I paid. If I ever sell my Flippac, I'll have to remember to delete this post...

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing Scoutsider.... my friend looked after the increase I guess. Again, I would bet the Nemo tent on the Habitat is a bunch more, plus AT's profit, etc.
I am not saying $10k is cheap, but you can get that top with a JK for what a 20 year old Syncro sells for ; )

DVexile

Adventurer
Just for reference a windowless FlipPac for a Tacoma short bed was $5100 + tax including installation at FRP this April. No fly. After CA taxes it was $5500 OTD.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
What about getting the Ursa Minor J180 instead? Perhaps the tent isn't as nice?

I still would go with their J30 version which allows carrying and opening with kayaks and better mounting with solar panels etc.

tacollie

Glamper
I am willing to bet the Habitat quality is more consistent going out the door than the Flippac. Quality isn't cheap. My Flippac was $5300 delivered and installed in Colorado two years ago. I would happily spend a couple grand more for decent stitching on the tent and confidence it would work properly for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes i paid 4500 new from a dealer( escondido) it had windows both sides a passthrough for the cab of the toyota tacoma . I had it on my 07 tacoma so I think I bought it back in about 08 had the truck off road many times never an issue with quality at all no leaks no problems I thought tent was good quality. so I am confounded as to why the habitat cost 2xs as much.
I had to sell either the jeep or the Toyota during the recession to make ends meet you have all heard or experienced some of this . I sold the toyota I love all 4 wheel drives but jeeps are special to me.
I really would like one for my jeep I have thought a bout j130 but I am getting older (61) I don't bend as well, got get up sometimes in the night, etc. etc.. rode hard and put away wet too many times, too many broken bones etc. and now too little funding to spring for a new habitat as badly as I want one. so I watch these builds and to me the best idea is the flip pac top easy to deploy easy to close up lots of room when you need it . It is a great idea just to pricey. I still don't see how more fiber glass. a better tent, and maybe a little more complex side adds up to 2 xs the original. but then again what do I know?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I was just guessing.... I agree with Tacollie, I love my FP, wish the screens were better quality and didn't split and didn't fear the torsion bar.

bob91yj

Resident **************
My guess is it's mostly a production volume issue. While it's true that they both sell to niche markets, the JKU Habitat further restricts their potential sales to a single vehicle model.

DingusKahn

Adventurer
I was one of the early buyers. I think I got #6. I did pay a lot less but that was almost 3 yrs ago. And now they have all of the bugs worked out. The few problems I have are fairly minor and I have learned to live with them. I really do like my set up. I got the stove/fridge slide with the Partner Stove (VERY NICE STOVE!) and all of their drawer system too. I did not look at the newest version. I think the one at overland expo on the white Jeep is one of the early ones.
I was the idiot driving around expo with the tent opened up. I didn't want to pack up to get out of the SWAMP!

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
A new Flippac will run you about $5,500 these days. The Habitat is TOTALY different tooling (and more complex tooling IMHO) and the volume is MUCH lower as it only fit the JK. Combined with higher quality tent and there you have it. Also... The Flippac tooling has been paid for years and years ago.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
One big difference a lot of people don't realize about the J180 / Habitat version of the flippac type camper is that with the J180 the upstairs is flat on both sides of the opened up tent - not just on the half over the cab as with the flippac campers - so the J180 will sleep four people in the top area and still allow all of the storage below. The downside is that getting out or accessing the stored area requires going down through the hatch or out through the zipper sides and down a ladder, etc. Not great for older people perhaps - a lot harder than with a pick-up bed flippac setup. There isn't the "lounge" type seating area as with a pick-up bed or with the old Westfalia VW bus setup unfortunately.

mattoid

About Fip Pac quality....

I've had 2 FlipPac's over 15 years. The first one for 7 years, and the current one for 6 years.

The product is a great "idea" but is extremely poorly executed.

The good:
1. The idea is great, and when new works as advertised which is what you would expect.

2. The tent manufacturer produces a quality product that lasts for many years with very little maintenance.

The bad:

1. Fit and finish is mediocre at best. The fit onto the bed and over the cab of your truck is as generic as it gets. The quality and finish of the fiberglass is terrible. (Place your head next to your FlipPac and look down the side, now place your head on ANY OTHER shell on the market and look down the side. The FlipPac has waves in the fiberglass, and neither of mine were square or even really straight.) This is not a function of thick "reinforced" fiberglass or any other excuse. Many marine products use much thicker "actual" reinforced fiberglass and are perfectly smooth and straight.

2. Poor quality peripheral components. The torsion bar is a joke - just read the forums. If yours has lasted more than 3 years, you either aren't using your FlipPac hardly ever, or you are just lucky. Also, the thinnest, crappiest aluminum tubing available is used for the stabilizer tubes, and then cheap plastic hinges and end caps are used. If you're camping, and the temperature drops BE VERY CAREFUL not to crack or break these plastic parts - which after a few years in the sun become brittle and break easily. I finally machined my own aluminum pieces to replace the factory crap FlipPac uses.

3. Poor quality lid to shell seal. It looks like a generic 1950 era fridge door seal - carry some Gorilla Glue so you can periodically glue it back on.

4. Supposed "fiberglass reinforcement". If you want to mount even a light duty roof rack - again, be very careful. I had a professional Baja 1000 truck builder fabricate my roof rack. I was there when he drilled the holes in the side of the lid exactly where FRP told him too. He let me drill one of the holes so I could feel there was almost nothing that the sheet metal screw would anchor into except an extremely thin piece of metal.

5. Fit of the lid to the shell. Is OK when they are new, but after a few years of use the hinges become sloppy and the fit becomes worse.

6. I saved the best for last: THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE PLANET! Diana is a liar, as is the other woman that sometimes answers the phone. I don't think anyone wants to read the pages that would be required for me to tell you about all of my issues with FlipPac - suffice to say I've had some bad customer service in the past, but nothing comes close to FlipPac.

A. They will NEVER call you back, even though they will tell you a day and a time that they will call - it won't happen.

B. Someone on this forum was happy FlipPac sent them free parts and thought that was good customer service. How long did you wait for those "free" parts. FipPac sent me some "free" plastic end caps that might have cost them .30c after 2 months of my asking for them and offering to pay. Just because something ends up being free does not equate to good customer service.

C. Not only does it take MONTHS to get cheap plastic crap parts, it takes MONTHS to get a torsion bar. Sure you can follow the torsion bar delete instructions listed at Expedition Portal, but the point is that after paying over $4k for a FlipPac don't you think they (FlipPac) should at the very least sell you a new one in a reasonable amount of time?

D. Not only does the basic operation of every other business in the world elude FlipPac, they lie about their responsibility. They can't keep a basic inventory of parts known to fail.
They can't improve the quality of parts known to fail.
They can't be honest to their customers about delivery time of parts known to fail.
They can't be honest to their customers about being responsible for not stocking parts known to fail.
They can't be honest to their customers about the basic courtesy of returning phone calls.

In short, FipPac is a company ran by incompetent, dishonest people who took a good idea and screwed it up as much as possible. Their product isn't worth 1/10 of what they charge for it. I hope that at some point the FlipPac "idea" will be adopted by a competent, honest manufacturing company. But for now, since there isn't another choice on the market, we have to keep dealing with a poor quality product and people who will evade responsibility and lie to us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online