New guy, new truck

Torsion

Hello folks, how's it goin'? I've been lurking here for a while now. I finially decided to join. I really enjoy reading about all the 4 wheeled adventures and marveling at the photos. I've been wanting to get some sort of four wheel drive vehicle, but my tastes exceed my buget. Recently while checking out Graig's list I found an 89 Dodge Raider that looked pretty good. So I drove out 50 miles to inspect it. It has a Jasper 3.0 V6 engine replaced about 50,000 miles ago. A/T, A/C, auto hubs and decent tires. The original owner really loved this truck because it's in great shape. The body is straight and it's rust free. There's a few little things I want to fix up, like replace the shocks, maybe add a roof rack and some interior work. Not bad for a $1000 bucks.
7543trs046.jpg

7543trs051.jpg

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Very cool and welcome. Nice find for a good price. And don't worry that your taste exceeds your budget...that's how you know your in the right forum. ALL of our taste's exceed our budgets

Use it and enjoy it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I assume you already know that your "raider" is actually a Mistubishi Montero? The 3.0l is definitely the better engine to have. Once the valve guide problem is addressed (I presume yours was addressed when the new engine was put in) it is a pretty reliable engine. Not the most powerful one around but I never had any complaints about mine and my Monty was a 4 door that weighed quite a bit more.

Another nice thing about the V6 is that it gets you the rear coil springs instead of the leaf springs. Looks like yours was the equivalent of the RS package (which mine also had) which means it's got the headlight squirters and the level gauge on the dashboard (I called it the "artificial horizon.")

Does yours have the suspended driver's seat? I always thought that was a very cool feature that other 4x4's should have adopted.

Anyway, good on ya for finding such a great deal. Monty's were never that popular in the US but in the rest of the world they're one of the "big 4" of SUVs (the other three being the Toyota LC, the Land Rover and the Nissan Patrol.)

Photo below: My Monty in the Black Rock Desert, May of 1998:

blacroc6.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
BTW I've seen Montero's/Raiders with blown or smoking engines (the smoking was caused by a well known valve guide problem) go for under $1000 here in CO. You could sink $1200-$1500 into one of those and have a perfectly serviceable vehicle that will last you years.

Torsion

Yes it has the "bouncy" seat. There are a couple of issues that I want to fix soon. One being shocks, I think the torsion bars make a loud sqeeking noise and the rear end vibrates when I take off at a light or yield sign if I'm turning right or left. What might cause this shimmy? I don't think it's the universal. How can I fix the torsion bar noise. New bushings? Thanks.

Last edited:

preacherman

Explorer
Welcome to portal! Great truck and a good deal as well. A few things....
1. Check out www.4x4wire.com for lots of info in your truck. You will find tons of guys who have modified that same truck.
2. You said you needed new shocks. Check out KYB, for some reason they seem to be a great match for the monteros, you can usually find them at a great price as well, especially when you consider they are a nicer nitrogen charged fully enclosed shock.

Have fun I love my Monte, they are great trucks.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Welcome to The Portal! I have always liked the 80's Raider/Montero/Pajero, especially the two door model. I've met a couple of guys who have swapped the G54B motors from the Starion into their trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94