what do jeep guys like as a truck?

Ok here is a question for all jeep guys, you have your jeep but of you were to buy a truck what would it be and why?

would you pick smiting that can be significantly modified like a jeep or something way different?

what truck would you use for overlanding if you did not use your jeep?

ZMagic97

Explorer
I literally just went through this.

Yesterday I sold my 08 Rubicon 2 door since I got a 2006 GMC Sierra Quad cab.

The JK was lifted, had bumpers and sliders, winch, Gobi rack, 3" lift with 35s, etc. Very loaded and capable. What I did NOT like about it was lack of power and room. Long trips had me changing gears a lot, struggling to find room for everything I wanted to bring (needs were met) and the ride was also loud and I was often slowed by winds and inclines on pavement.

Why I got the GMC: I love the 2006 body style, the 5.3 V8 has plenty of power even with the 6" lift and 35s, interior room is much better for storage, driver and passenger room, small storage (center console and glove box) and I will have much more room when I get a camper shell. Also the truck can still be used to transport 5 people and good on any other day.

The truck can be heavily modified, but it suits the needs I always wanted the Jeep to fit. I plan on leaving it as it is minus a re-gear and camper shell.

tarditi

Explorer
Beastmode: Unimog, Dodge Power Wagon, Ford Raptor, Jeep J-series truck.

Practical: Any new pickup truck is pretty high-tech, comfortable, and has a high level of utility I'm not a ford vs chevy vs dodge sort of guy

87Warrior

GP'er
Comanche.

Small, cramped and 100% Jeep. If you already feel comfortable overlanding in a Jeep, the MJ is the truck for you.

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Used this 1999 Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 for a decade, before getting the JK. It worked out really well, and I wish I'd been able to keep it AND the Jeep. It was simple, sturdy, comfortable and capable. Had 33's on it, no lift, 5-speed manual, pretty much stock, and rock solid dependable. I slept in the back of that thing a few times. It took me all over the Northwest, into Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California... Good solid rig.

Was pretty much perfect for hunting, fishing, camping trips. Really just went to the Jeep to have something smaller and more nimble to drive. Still miss the truck though. It was more useful/practical.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've gotta jeep and trailer that'll go anywhere/off-road and-

I've gotta 2001 Ford Ranger/w over 200,000 miles (restored/new engine)-etc, but too small-

I wanna get back to Dodge Rams--5.7/auto/4x4--soon/soon

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

mtbxj87

Adventurer
Toyota pickup (pre Tacoma) or first gen Tacoma. Im partial to older vehicles. I don't have to tow or haul anything, so a big *** truck is a waste.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Comanche.

Small, cramped and 100% Jeep. If you already feel comfortable overlanding in a Jeep, the MJ is the truck for you.

I'll second that, and I'm working on one now!! But I also have a GMC that suits my needs too. I think "stick with what you know" is the best plan, particularly for those of us who do ALL of our own maintenance. I know the Jeep, and I know (older now) GM trucks, so they're easiest for me to maintain.

Septu

Explorer
Will start off by saying, I'm not a truck person. I recognize how useful they are, but am not really a fan of them. However IF I won the lotto (probably the only time I'd buy one), I'd go with a Tacoma. And only because I like the looks of them over most of the others. I usually go for a more boxy look, but can't stand the look of most of the newer trucks now a days. I wouldn't heavily modify it... but there would certainly be some mods.

paroxysym

Adventurer
I miss my CTD quad cab I had (bought it to take a break from jeeps). if I were to buy another truck now days- probably a TRD PRO tundra

deadbeat son

Explorer
Used this 1999 Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 for a decade, before getting the JK. It worked out really well, and I wish I'd been able to keep it AND the Jeep. It was simple, sturdy, comfortable and capable. Had 33's on it, no lift, 5-speed manual, pretty much stock, and rock solid dependable. I slept in the back of that thing a few times. It took me all over the Northwest, into Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California... Good solid rig.

Was pretty much perfect for hunting, fishing, camping trips. Really just went to the Jeep to have something smaller and more nimble to drive. Still miss the truck though. It was more useful/practical.

Nice truck. 285s?

bfr

Observer
I daily drive a first generation double cab taco. It racks up lots of unglamorous miles without complaint. The only expo way I've used it is to pull my trailer for camping/fishing trips during my jeep build.
image.jpg
No mods, I even scraped out the excessive tint you see in this pic.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I also own, and frequently drive, a 2005 F250 Crew Cab SRW 4x4 power stroke. Given a few quirks of the 6.0 power stroke, it is hands down the best truck I've ever driven. I wouldn't trade it for many vehicles out there. A truck should haul stuff, including my family, in comfort and with ease. Something about putting a pallet of brick in the back and getting on the freeway like just another day at the mall is nice.

When I go to Moab next week, I will be taking the truck... SACRILIDGE???

Maybe to some, but the fact is the truck is significantly faster, quieter, smoother, and has better mileage, more useable space, and tremendous payload compared to my JKUR.

It is also cheaper to insure. Don't ask about maintenance costs... The balance has to come somewhere...

So, my family has a truck for truck things, a jeep for jeep things, and a soccer-mom ute for soccer-mom ute things. I traded the car for the Jeep and don't exactly regret it, but I miss it.

On edit: given one vehicle only, I would keep the F250, overland in it, and hike or bike more than I do now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94