2016 Honda Africa Twin

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I saw this yesterday. Looks awesome. I wonder what the price will be. I imagine in the 10ish range?

The dual clutch, to my understanding, makes it easier to shift gears while avoiding any type of lag during the shift. I remember reading an article that said one clutch is used to gears 1,3,5 and the second for 2,4,6. Similar to paddle shifters on a car. Then again, I'm new to motorcycles so I could be 100% wrong.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As a motorcycle journalist, and former Africa Twin owner, I'm still waiting by the mailbox for useful details to be delivered. So far, all of these mini media releases have been unsubstantiated teases.

With regard to the parallel twin hints, that's not bad news. Parallel configurations can provide a host of benefits over a V configuration if done properly.

Tick tock, tick tock. Still waiting for details that matter. This is much like the endless speculation around the new Jeep Wrangler. The time for teasing editorials is over. We want substantiated details.

Oh, and don't hold our breath for a sub $15,000 Africa twin. Look how much honda wants for a plane Jane CB1000.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
CRF1000L-Africa-Twin-Adventure-2016-001.jpg

wesel123

Explorer
As a motorcycle journalist, and former Africa Twin owner, I'm still waiting by the mailbox for useful details to be delivered. So far, all of these mini media releases have been unsubstantiated teases.

With regard to the parallel twin hints, that's not bad news. Parallel configurations can provide a host of benefits over a V configuration if done properly.

Tick tock, tick tock. Still waiting for details that matter. This is much like the endless speculation around the new Jeep Wrangler. The time for teasing editorials is over. We want substantiated details.

Oh, and don't hold our breath for a sub $15,000 Africa twin. Look how much honda wants for a plane Jane CB1000.

100% agree parallel twins can be done right but I'm worried about displacement. Look at the Super Tenere, about the same size motor and not the greatest off road (yes I know anything can be ridden off road, trust me I've owned and ridden them all). Beemer almost got it right with the 800 but not crazy reliable and still heavy.

But again I agree, it's ALL speculation right now. Only time will tell.

EMrider

Explorer
No question that a market exists for an updated Africa Twin. Just check out the Advrider forum. Folks have been hoping for this bike for years.

But the competition is the big BMW and KTM adventure bike segment.

For my needs, these bikes are too heavy and not well suited for more rocky or technical trails. The energy required to pick one up after dumping on the trail is substantial.

I'd like to see something in the 450-600cc that weighs 275-290lbs, with a good sized fuel tank and a beefy subframe to carry a decent load. Easily doable with today's technology. Maybe a mini Africa Twin in a few years?

R

RHINO

Expedition Leader

yeah remember the TDM? fantastic engine that i always wanted to build a bike out of.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
I'd like to see something in the 450-600cc that weighs 275-290lbs, with a good sized fuel tank and a beefy subframe to carry a decent load. Easily doable with today's technology. Maybe a mini Africa Twin in a few years?

R

thats what many of us want, myself included, but i't wont come cheap and i dont think i'm ready to shell out 15k'ish. (my guesstimate)

i'm keeping my eye on the AJP PR7, theyre building it specifically for rally privateers, but that bike might lend itself very well to a middleweight all rounder.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
No question that a market exists for an updated Africa Twin. Just check out the Advrider forum. Folks have been hoping for this bike for years.

But the competition is the big BMW and KTM adventure bike segment.

For my needs, these bikes are too heavy and not well suited for more rocky or technical trails. The energy required to pick one up after dumping on the trail is substantial.

R

275-290lbs? Your in the 250-300cc range regarding having a frame beefy enough to handle the weight of extra fuel stowage and rack gear. 450-600cc range no way. I'm in the same boat if I were to get another bike it would be on the ultra light end of the scale given once you start getting up into 450-500lbs they are not all that much fun on the dirt especially if the dirt isn't packed and your dealing with the trail getting technical with loose surfaces. When it comes to off pavement power doesn't seem to be as big of a deal unless your trying to run the Baja 500 at 100mph.

EMrider

Explorer
275-290lbs? Your in the 250-300cc range regarding having a frame beefy enough to handle the weight of extra fuel stowage and rack gear. 450-600cc range no way. I'm in the same boat if I were to get another bike it would be on the ultra light end of the scale given once you start getting up into 450-500lbs they are not all that much fun on the dirt especially if the dirt isn't packed and your dealing with the trail getting technical with loose surfaces. When it comes to off pavement power doesn't seem to be as big of a deal unless your trying to run the Baja 500 at 100mph.

I'm still annoyed that Honda killed off the XR line which does reveal my biases. My ideal would be an XR600 with modern suspension, fuel injection (water cooled too), strong subframe and a 5gal fuel tank. That could probably be done at 300 pounds.

My camping and exploration gear is pretty sparse and weighs between 25-40 pounds including food and water.

That would probably be fine for a modern 250, and I agree that smaller and lighter bikes are more fun offroad.

For fully loaded multi day touring, loads of up to 80-100 pounds may be needed and then you quickly get into big BMWs.

R

WFOORBUST

Lets hope!!!!

They get it right! I love my XR650R and my KTM 990 but I'm a Honda guys for sure! It looks good but I never buy new bikes, so if it works out in a couple of years it might be a good replacement for the Adventure. Time will tell and I will let someone else trick it out and sell it to me at a much lower price, if it turns out to be a good ride? I always hoped that they would make an adventure bike out of the XR with a magic button, but it wasn't to be. I want to go smaller not bigger as I get older but still be able to slab when I need to. KTM seems to be chasing BMW with bigger and bigger bikes. Their line of singles are awesome if you want to race or woods ride. Not so much if you need to do some road mile.
In a few years I will be doing a TDF ride and might just take a good old DR650 that I can trade or sell at the other end. Cheaper then shipping it home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke