2016 Honda Africa Twin

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's another official Honda video showing the new Africa Twin. It's not included (yet) in the page linked by Wesel123 above. In addition to beauty shots of the production bike, the video shows part 2 of an interview with the Honda engineers who developed the machine. Lots of praise for the optional push button dual clutch transmission, a first in an ADV-class bike.

http://youtu.be/JzT_bKsItLA

All specs should be revealed in a couple of weeks.

haven

Expedition Leader
That didn't take long! Here are the official USA specs for the Honda Africa Twin CRF1000F.

15.jpg

Engine Type ..... Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve Parallel Twin
with 270° crank and Unicam
Displacement Engine ..... 998cc
Maximum power ..... 70 kW (93.9hp) @ 7500 rpm (Claimed European Spec)
Maximum torque ..... 98 N.m (72.3 lb-ft.) @ 6000 rpm (Claimed European Spec)
Bore x Stroke ..... 92.0 x 75.1 mm
Clutch ..... Wet, multi-plate with coil springs, aluminum cam assist and slipper clutch
Final transmission ..... O-ring sealed chain
Type Gearbox / Transmission ..... Constant mesh 6-speed manual / 6-speed DCT with on- and off-road riding modes
HSTC system (Honda Selectable Torque Control) ..... HSTC 3-levels + switch-off (DCT/ABS model only, not on STD model)
Frame Type ..... Steel semi-double cradle type with high-tensile strength steel rear sub-frame
Turning diameter ..... 8’2″
Curb weight ..... 503 lb (STD), 534 lb (DCT/ABS)
Fuel tank capacity ..... 4.96 gallons
Length x Width x Height ..... 91.9 x 34.4 x 58.1 inches (STD), 91.9 x 36.6 x 58.1 inches (DCT/ABS)
Wheelbase ..... 62.0 inches
Seat height ..... 34.3 inches or 33.5 inches (adjustable)
Ground clearance ..... 9.8 inches
ABS system ..... ABS 2-channel with rear ABS off switch (DCT/ABS model only, not on STD model)
Front brakes ..... 310mm dual wave floating hydraulic disc with aluminum hub and radial fit 4-piston calipers and sintered metal pads
Rear brakes ..... 256mm wave hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper and sintered metal pads. Also Lever-Lock Type Parking Brake System on DCT/ABS model
Front wheel ..... Wire-spoke with aluminum rim
Rear wheel ..... Wire-spoke with aluminum rim
Front wheel ..... 21M/C x MT2.15
Rear wheel ..... 18M/C x MT4.00
Front tire ..... 90/90-R21 tube type
Rear Tire Size ..... 150/70-R18 tube type

Check out Honda's official page with photos
http://world.honda.com/news/2015/2150724CRF1000L-Africa-Twin/photo/
03.jpg

MANXMAN

503 lbs wet without the optional ABS/DCT isn't too bad for this type of bike. I'm surprised and grateful Honda would let us have a standard model.

Proper sized 18"/21"tires with tubes.

Even looks good which in this category of bike is rare.

It would appear there is a lot to like about this bike if you prefer off tar touring......and I do.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Is that a real bash plate or just a plastic place holder for a real bash plate?
24.jpg

I like the white with gold rims...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I like it but I'm done with the big bikes. Next bike will be a simple 250 that gets tossed on a hitch rack or trailer and dragged to the trail with the occasional around town trips. I like honda bikes and outboards everything else honda is just hype and noise. LOL

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Strongly considering this as my next bike even though I don't get the tri-color white one here in the USA..

All the chatter over on ADV (most of it negative) and with my riding friends that say it looks and boring just does not sway me.

I like the way it looks, I'm open to the DCT, and the pricing seems pretty good.

Totally need to test ride one first though.

Frank

Explorer
The price point is that of a BMW F800GS. -though I think the AT is more geared to fight with a more off-road orientated bike like a KTM 1190, to which it will for sure take a piece of that market by storm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles