F150 worth keeping for Overlanding?

Epix

Observer
Long time lurker here, but wanted to get some feedback from you guys. I have a 02 F150 Supercrew 4x4 Lariat and I really want to get more serious about overlanding, trails, and some rock crawling but mailnly overlanding. I've seen some of the other full size rigs on here but the more research I do for my truck as far suspension, bumpers, and other various things needed the more I realize that this truck is limited. I believe that it's highly capable of hanging with the Jeeps, FJ's, Tacoma's and Landcruisers once outfitted correctly. I'm just trying to figure out if I should just stay with this current rig or should I start looking at the typical Jeep, FJ, etc... I was wanting to do something different but when you start looking at how there are so many parts and options for the more popular off road vehicles out there it becomes fustrating on what to do. Just thought I would get some input from you guys.

Ivan

Lost in Space
I would stick with it. Check out Fatcity's F150 for what can be done with the F150 platform: FatCity F150 Pre-runner Expo build

Or another great example: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/968254-project-green-monster-prerunner-build.html

And that's just one of the countless rigs built off your platform. I believe there's another member in this forum using a SCrew F150 as well.

I would be really hard pressed to turn down the drivetrain in those trucks. The 5.4/4R100/9.75" set up is (one of) the reason why I bought my Expedition. The low cost of entry and maintenance is also a great thing. As far as outfitting: there are quite a few companies that make parts, kits, etc for these vehicles.

What have you done with your truck so far, and what type of trips in the short and long term do you have planned?

Last edited:

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
I think a lot of people think you need a huge lift with massive bumpers and solid axles to go off-roading. Most stock vehicles can do way more then most people think. Just add some skid plates, a small lift and lockers with good tires and you'll be able to do 95% of the trails out there. I used to do some crazy stuff in my old XJ and it was a bone stock ex police car. Start getting out and trying stuff, you may find you don't even like rock crawling.

MoRogers

Observer
if you're already thinking about an FJ or Jeep, then thats what your going to do. if your not happy with what you've got then move on, you're not going to be satisfied with anything else until you do. I've owned quite a few F150s and Jeeps in my time, and to day i have one of each. yet 80% of my exploration is in my F-150. why? because the fam and dogs need the room, thats just what it is. I've never had issues modding both for off-road travel, both server a different purpose, for anyways. in any case, just do whatever brings you the most satisfaction.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I'd stick with your truck. I just sold a pretty modified JK for a crew cab GMC and I'm much happier. There is myself, my girlfriend, 2 kids (ages 3 and 5) and a golden retriever at max, but usually her and I with the dog. I like having more room, a quieter ride, and a more road worthy vehicle.

For my uses, most of my travels are on pavement and then off the asphalt once I arrive, so I find a good road worthy vehicle very important.

If there is nothing wrong with your truck, I would personally make some small mods for gear, add a camper shell (I'm all about shells myself, to each their own) and enjoy your truck for everything it can do.

rcintx

Adventurer
I drive an 05 F150 Supercab FX4, and it gets me where I need to be and I have room to haul nasty stuff I don't want inside. Thats my main reason in having a truck over an SUV. My friends with Jeeps ask me atleast once a month to haul something for them.

The truck is bone stock except for a grill guard on the front end (that I lucked into for a steal). I don't rock crawl, but I do drop traverse campground, farm, and ranch roads that need 4x4 and the truck crawls through with ease with AT tires.

With that being said, I LUST for a power wagon, but for 35+k, I'll stick to my 10 year old Ford.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I've had my 98 F-150 for a very long time and it is very capable. Yes, I have gotten stuck and there are things I have not been able to get through or over but you'd be amazed at the things I HAVE gotten through/over. The options are limited as far as lift and bumpers but that means you take some classes and learn how to weld! I'd do it but I use my truck as a DD still and need it to look semi professional. Or, look on CL, Ebay, forums, etc for used things. Lots of guys start with a small suspension lift, then move up to a semi or long travle and sell their old parts.

Like people have said before. Use what you have. You dont need a 6inch lift. An F-150 needs maybe a 2 inch suspension lift (no body lift), a locker and some good tires. Maybe some skid plates if you dont already have them. Dont do more than a few inches of lift because then you have to get a drop down bracket for the IFS and that completely defeats the purpose of a lift. You can also crant the t bars for a few inches. You don't need a massive front bumper or rear bumper. You have great tow hooks in the front and (most likely) a trailer hitch in the rear. Both are very capable of recovering you or another vehicle. Get a shell, make a sleeping platform and boom. Spend a little bit of money and you will be very pleased.

PM me if you have questions.

4x4junkie

Explorer
The options are limited as far as lift and bumpers but that means you take some classes and learn how to weld! .
×2

A welder makes all the difference in the world when it comes to prepping a lesser-supported vehicle.
I built a Bronco II for my travels because it fits my needs far better than the usual go-to, often-impractical Jeep Wrangler, while it has just a tiny fraction of the aftermarket support when it comes to bumpers, racks, armor, and other bolt-ons... So I built those items myself. This lets me tailor them to my exact needs/wants, as well as an ability to say 'I built them myself'.
A welder also lets you easily adapt things made for other applications to your ride as well (welding new brackets to that fancy bumper made for a Dodge you bought off Craigslist, for example). There isn't a whole lot of variation in the design of many items, it's where/how they attach to the vehicle that mostly makes them different.

Hobart seems to be the go-to brand. They are made by Miller which is a highly-respected name in the welding business. I don't think classes are necessary though... With a little bit of simple reading you should be able to quickly get a good grip on the process of MIG welding, as it's not only one of the easiest to learn, but is also among the better processes to use on the mild steel that makes up most bumpers, suspension parts, and vehicle frames.
Harbor Freight has some welding outfits also (for a lot less $$$), but I have no idea of their quality/usefulness.

Hope that helps.
I agree with everyone else, keep your Ford. It's better than anything else for the simple reason you already own it.

Epix

Observer
WOW, I can't believe so many people replied I guess I was thinking this thread was gonna get zero responses so with that being said thank you all for your input.

EMrider

Explorer
Your F150 is a great expo platform......keep it. Super reliable motor and tranny, strong frame, plenty of room and I would guess it is paid for.

If you put $3-4k into a mild lift and a rear locker you will have a very capable vehicle that can take you most anywhere.

Only if you are planning level 5 rock garden trails that favor a short wheelbase wiil the F150 be lacking.

Good luck

R

Epix

Observer
Ivan, currently my truck has the following: Ranch Hand brush guard, Bilstein 4600 non HD shocks, K&N cold air intake, Flowmaster Super 40's with true duals, JBA shorty headers, Cobra CB 29 WXNWST, 4' Firestick. As for the short term trips I'm heading out to Palo Duro State Park at the end of the month. Then hopufully Black Bear Pass and possible tackle the swtichbacks, but before I do that I'm gonna think about that one. From what I've seen it's very possible with my truck.

Epix

Observer
Gloriavoxdei, yeah I'm looking for OEM stock skid plates now and I've got the 33"s covered but looking to go 35"s soon with a ARB locker. Thanks for the reply.

Epix

Observer
if you're already thinking about an FJ or Jeep, then thats what your going to do. if your not happy with what you've got then move on, you're not going to be satisfied with anything else until you do. I've owned quite a few F150s and Jeeps in my time, and to day i have one of each. yet 80% of my exploration is in my F-150. why? because the fam and dogs need the room, thats just what it is. I've never had issues modding both for off-road travel, both server a different purpose, for anyways. in any case, just do whatever brings you the most satisfaction.

MoRogers, that's exactly why I love this truck because of the room and how this rig can do so much more than one thing, living in Texas and not having a truck is down right UnAmerican :xxrotflma

Epix

Observer
I'd stick with your truck. I just sold a pretty modified JK for a crew cab GMC and I'm much happier. There is myself, my girlfriend, 2 kids (ages 3 and 5) and a golden retriever at max, but usually her and I with the dog. I like having more room, a quieter ride, and a more road worthy vehicle.

For my uses, most of my travels are on pavement and then off the asphalt once I arrive, so I find a good road worthy vehicle very important.

If there is nothing wrong with your truck, I would personally make some small mods for gear, add a camper shell (I'm all about shells myself, to each their own) and enjoy your truck for everything it can do.

ZMagic97, I'm looking for a shell now that I took off the bed cover and realize that it's not fitting my needs anymore, as far as the mods I'm looking at an ARB locker for now.

Epix

Observer
I drive an 05 F150 Supercab FX4, and it gets me where I need to be and I have room to haul nasty stuff I don't want inside. Thats my main reason in having a truck over an SUV. My friends with Jeeps ask me atleast once a month to haul something for them.

The truck is bone stock except for a grill guard on the front end (that I lucked into for a steal). I don't rock crawl, but I do drop traverse campground, farm, and ranch roads that need 4x4 and the truck crawls through with ease with AT tires.

With that being said, I LUST for a power wagon, but for 35+k, I'll stick to my 10 year old Ford.

rcintx I agree, nothing beats PAID FOR!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior