ARB_MLO_Campers_WIDE_1_zpscusvnzv5.jpg

ARB_MLO_Haybales_zpszut4bjtu.jpg

ARB_Pop-Up_Camper_1_zps8wkixpdz.jpg

GreenMonster_Camper_1_zpsczss6nuc.jpg

FourWheelCampers_Campfire_1_zpsbbbdugev.jpg

Ramblinman

Observer
Thanks for the compliment.

The lift is almost useless other than allowing larger tires. The front is a drop down bracket and the rear is blocks (which I intend to change out to custom springs, eventually). I get reduced fuel economy, increased wear and tear on suspension components, particularly front hub bearings, speedometer is off (can be corrected with an aftermarket tuner), tires are more expensive, increased turning radius due to front axle spacers.

The pro's...looks cool, and I can air down/slightly improved ride quality on the 250 miles of dirt the truck sees vs the 5,000 pavement miles it takes to get there.

If I had it to do over again, level the front, quality shocks, for the rear, airbags and quality shocks, run slightly larger than stock 285's and call it done. I think you could get a GM/Chevy built in this manner EVERYWHERE I care to take my truck.

I did raise my camper a bit more after that pic (my camper is built for a mini-truck, so it is narrow and shorter than most). I looked forever for an inflatable pad to put between the roof/camper, ended up with a heavy duty inflatable pool float.

OMG! Thanks for this. VERY well said. All of it.

gtbensley

Explorer
Folks with the tacomas, how do they seem to handle the weight? A FWC must bring those right to there payload rating max

subterran

Adventurer
Folks with the tacomas, how do they seem to handle the weight? A FWC must bring those right to there payload rating max

My truck is at the rating and it does great. A Tacoma with a V6 has plenty of power and can go about anywhere you would ever want to camp. As you can see from pictures throughout this thread, they are quite capable with 4x4 and a camper on them. This is despite what naysayers will naysay. If I had any complaint, it's braking. I drive very conservatively and I live in a city with very aggresive drivers. So far so good. They are certainly no worse than a westy, lol!

bimmeryota

Observer
675bb298585ee1ef838439e16066599c.jpg
2c5026a9f46d0025a9cf9244f8e99233.jpg

Eagle on a 91 pickup with about 3" total lift with 32s. Handled well enough but needed more interior space so the eagle has a new nest here
af334cad90a879ca517b9d35efb1afb9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles