Looking for my first 4x4

Mad Al

IM looking to get get my first 4x4 in he coming weeks. Currently looking at 1st and 2nd gen xterras, early Titans, mitsubishi monteros, and (if I can find a decent one in my price range) a lexus gx470. I'm open to others. Maybe a pathfinder (my first car was a 2001 se 2wd and I loved it). Any info would be appreciated. I'm not really looking to do any crazy trails mainly just forest service roads and fire roads.

kmroxo

Observer
The main difference with the Titan is the size, obviously. Frontier or Tacoma is going to be more along the size of the SUVs you mentioned. As it happens I have owned a GX470 (2007), Xterra (2008 off road), and currently own a Titan (2012). The GX is sweet and the V8 is awesome, but it is a bit fancier and you may be more reluctant to get it dirty inside and out. Sold it in a divorce because of the higher cost/payment and I was going back to school. I would totally get one again if I were looking for a fancy SUV. I had drooled over the Xterra for years, especially when the second gen came out. Loved that thing. Every bit as powerful feeling as the GX except towing up mountains. The extra torque in the GX was just a bit better there. But honestly the Xterra was more my style. I swapped out for the Titan only because I needed more towing for a 15 month road trip with a 28' travel trailer. My Titan is full leather, heated seats, etc so almost at the luxury level of the GX.

After my road trip is over I will likely sell the Titan as I prefer something slightly smaller. I would love to get another Xterra or GX, but I'm starting to get into hunting and I think a Frontier with a cap is going to be better than an SUV for that.

Last edited:

Mad Al

How was matinance cost on the gx. I'm looking at 03 and 04 models with 150k+ miles. Budget is around 10k. And I'm worried since its. Lexus parts are gonna be pricey

kmroxo

Observer
Dealer service is going to be more for sure. If you wrench yourself or have an independent mechanic it shouldn't be bad. They are pretty much a Toyota. I haven't checked but I would be surprised if you can find a GX for that price. I was just checking out Frontiers and Tacomas and 04-06 were $12-15k.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Gotta say, for the price, it's really, really hard to beat the 2nd gen Xterra. You can get a lot, maybe even the Off Road spec version, for at or below $10k. Drive one, they are fantastic.

Arktikos

Explorer
Gotta say, for the price, it's really, really hard to beat the 2nd gen Xterra. You can get a lot, maybe even the Off Road spec version, for at or below $10k. Drive one, they are fantastic.

I agree. Unless,of course, you would prefer a pickup truck. Forget the Lexus-too expensive.

Dalko43

Explorer
As I went through this process a little while back, I can give you a little info on some good 4x4 SUV options to start your search with.

2nd Gen Nissan Xterra: Very good, somewhat compact 4x4 SUV. Engine has got a lot of torque. It has an optional 6 speed. Robust (Body on frame with solid axle in rear and independent front suspension), and mostly reliable (I would stick to 2011's and newer, as supposedly there were auto transmission issues with the earlier ones). Buying new, many dealers are offering these at a big discount (overstock, plus this generation has been out for nearly 10 years). Not uncommon to find some used ones for about $15k-$24k depending on the mileage and trim level.

Downsides for this one would be mediocre to bad mpg and small fuel tank limits your driving range. Top highway mpg is about 20mpg for the 4x4 version (6 speed supposedly gives a slight improvement, but not much). Rear Leaf springs eventually sag and need to be replaced and/or upgraded. Front diff has been known to have issues or break with hard usage (think extreme off-roading where wheels are coming off the ground).

4th 4unners: 4th Gen (prior to 2009) has a torquey v6 or optional v8. Very reliable. Coilover suspension on all four corners (no leaf springs that will eventually sag out). Again robust body on frame construction with solid rear axle and independent front. Good reputation and as a result have good resale values on the used market. Generally used ones (under 75k miles) will go for anything between $14k-$23k.

Downsides: Toyota tax - even though this is very similar to other BOF SUV's like the Nissan Xterra, you will generally pay more for these because of Toyota's reputation (perceived or real). Sits low to the ground, so if you intend to do more serious off-roading, it will require a lift.

5th Gen 4Runner: Updated frame and drivetrain from 4th gen. Similar 4.0L v6 as the 4th gen's but with more HP and better mpg. Solid rear axle with independent front. Comes with higher clearance. Various trims to choose from that offer different options. 22mpg highway and 23 gallon fuel tank means you'll have a max driving range of about 420 miles, which is pretty good for a Body-on-Frame SUV. Generally used ones are going for $23k-$33k depending on the trim and mileage.

Downsides: A bit bigger than both the 4th gen and Xterra (can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for). Engine and drivetrain performance is nothing special, especially for the money you are paying. Nissan Xterra's and 4th Gen 4runners offer nearly the same level of performance at lower prices.

R51 Nissan Pathfinder: Made from 2004-2012. Since its the older generation, you should be able to find some for very good deals (anywhere from $11k to $23k used). Bigger and more room than the Xterra. Optional V8 if you want it.

Downsides: V6 is pretty much same engine as the Xterra's. So same mediocre mpg and small fuel tank limits your driving range. Sits low to ground, and will require lift for off-roading. Unlike the other 3 SUV's, this though its BOF has independent front and rear suspension. Not a huge deal for daily driver use (if anything it will make the drive nicer on pavement and graded surfaces) though in extreme off-roading you might want to swap/upgrade.

Those are pretty much the options for 4x4 Body-on-frame SUV's that are somewhat recent. If you don't care about the body-on-frame aspect and just want 4x4, you can also look at pretty much any of the crossovers Jeep is offering (Grand Cherokee, new Cherokee KL, Renegade, Liberty, Patriot, ect.).

Edit: Changed Pathfinder designation from R52 to R51.

Last edited:

justbecause

perpetually lost
you can find some nice 2nd gen frontiers/xterras for 10k. I wouldnt consider a 1st gen. too old, smaller, drum brakes, etc. you will get more bang for your buck with a 2nd gen.
on the GX you will immediately need to install a lift kit to eliminate the rear airbags. several people are making those kits now, and they are available as bolt on items. check out ih8mud.com

even on a mild trail you run the risk of busting an airbag (even on the road, but there at least you have AAA) and if you bust an air bag you have to get very creative to get yourself out. I was on a run with a guy who's LR busted a rear air bag. it took two guys who owned shops and worked on those rigs for a living about 3 hours to make up something for him to drive out on; I cant imagine a novice trying to trouble shoot that problem.

docwatson

Adventurer
R52 Nissan Pathfinder: Made from 2004-2012. Since its the older generation, you should be able to find some for very good deals (anywhere from $11k to $23k used). Bigger and more room than the Xterra. Optional V8 if you want it.

Downsides: V6 is pretty much same engine as the Xterra's. So same mediocre mpg and small fuel tank limits your driving range. Sits low to ground, and will require lift for off-roading. Unlike the other 3 SUV's, this though its BOF has independent front and rear suspension. Not a huge deal for daily driver use (if anything it will make the drive nicer on pavement and graded surfaces) though in extreme off-roading you might want to swap/upgrade.

Just to clarify, the R51 Pathfinder was model years 2005-2012. Not sure what your definition of low to the ground is, but the average ground clearance is 8.8" which should be ample for FS roads.

Maybe I am bit defensive because I am 90% sure this is my next vehicle, but I believe the R51 Pathfinder is very underrated because of the IFS/IRS. If you look around at the Aussie forums there are countless positive reviews of the R51. Granted they have the diesel, but its still IFS/IRS.

To me, if mild offroading (FS roads) is the majority of your trips the R51 Pathfinder would be a great option. The R52 however is the worst. Unibody, crossover, CVT. Ain't nobody got time for that

Dalko43

Explorer
Just to clarify, the R51 Pathfinder was model years 2005-2012.
My mistake. I thought I double checked the series designations, but I misspoke...I meant R51.

Not sure what your definition of low to the ground is, but the average ground clearance is 8.8" which should be ample for FS roads.
Ground clearance on the 5th gen 4runner is about 9.6in. On the Wrangler its about 10in. The Pathfinder's clearance by comparison isn't horrible, but it also isn't the best. I was just trying to give the OP some perspective.
Maybe I am bit defensive because I am 90% sure this is my next vehicle, but I believe the R51 Pathfinder is very underrated because of the IFS/IRS. If you look around at the Aussie forums there are countless positive reviews of the R51. Granted they have the diesel, but its still IFS/IRS.

To me, if mild offroading (FS roads) is the majority of your trips the R51 Pathfinder would be a great option. The R52 however is the worst. Unibody, crossover, CVT. Ain't nobody got time for that
I think the R51 is underrated somewhat too, but I do think Nissan would have been better off putting a solid rear axle in the back. Just for the added confidence and durability when going over the rough stuff. Otherwise, I agree the R51 is a good option for mild offroading.

And yeah, the R52's switch to unibody was a stupid decision IMHO. Nissan already has enough car-based crossovers...they didn't need to add to the pile.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Like the OP, I'm also in the market and I've found a lot of the same information that others here have stated, but it doesn't quite fit the OP's budget except for the occasional Xterra 2gen and possibly the Pathfinder. The 2gen 4Runner, FJZ80/UJZ100 would be the best sub-$10k options, IMHO. Will be high mileage but generally well built.

The issue with the R51 "transmission" was actually the radiator. The trans-cooler in integrated in to the radiator but would fail internally resulting in engine coolant entering the transmission. Immediate fail. This was resolved with '07 (iirc) and if you go with an early one, check to see if the rad has been replaced and if not, do it first. It's a simple fix for a catastrophic failure.

In my area, the Frontier has a Taco-like tax. I think I would prefer the Xterra, and not just because it's less expensive.

Mad Al

Well I ended up going with a r50 pathfinder. i test drove a couple 2nd gen montero and 1st gen xterras and the pathfinder had lowest miles drove best and just seemed right. I know it's not gonna ever be a hard core off roader but it fits my needs well. I actually took it out on a trail with my buddy and his fx4 f150 and it handled it amazingly (and it's probably one of the rougher trails, if not roughest I will be taking it on.) all in all I'm happy with it so far. It was well under budget so it leves me room to do some modifications sooner than planned. Looking at roof baskets and awnings now.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I have had my mombasa awning for years and like it

I just ordered a low profile rack from discount racks, impatiently waiting for it to get here. It was only 120 bucks and measures out to be the perfect size for my short bed shell, I can't wait to see how it does.

docwatson

Adventurer
Well I ended up going with a r50 pathfinder. i test drove a couple 2nd gen montero and 1st gen xterras and the pathfinder had lowest miles drove best and just seemed right. I know it's not gonna ever be a hard core off roader but it fits my needs well. I actually took it out on a trail with my buddy and his fx4 f150 and it handled it amazingly (and it's probably one of the rougher trails, if not roughest I will be taking it on.) all in all I'm happy with it so far. It was well under budget so it leves me room to do some modifications sooner than planned. Looking at roof baskets and awnings now.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

I think you will be very happy with the R50. There are several incredible R50 Pathy builds that thwart the idea its a softroader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles