Options for a better trip with the family.

WILLD420

Observer
Presently we travel in a 4 door F350 longbed and a camper shell. It fits our needs when we can find a decent place to stay and a decent place to eat but when things are not going well it sucks sleeping in the front of the truck.

I've looked at trailers, we have a ginormous toy hauler for the weekends, but dragging it 2k miles is no fun for anyone except the credit card and gas companies. I find that in my experience a trailer knocks about 4-5 mpg off our average, which is already pretty bad at 15 mpg. We also like to cruise along on the interstates, so driving 65 isn't going to work for us. If we can't run 70 mph we aren't going to be going there, unless we are on 2 lane roads.

I've thought about cabover campers, but I'm not a huge fan. They are heavy and tend to suck gas almost as bad as a trailer. If I don't find another alternative, I guess I could live with one, but it has to be smaller and lighter than about 80% of the stuff out there.

I looked at motorhomes but I'm not sold on them and driving around in a glued together piece of furniture that turns readily into a coffin doesn't appeal to us with our kids along.

Finding a good class b plus was on the list, but they tend to hold way more value than I am willing to part with unless they are absolute junk.

I like pop up campers, but most of them are set up for singles or couples with maybe one kid. We have 3 and a dog, so someone is sleeping on the floor and the wife is not a big fan, unless it was me and then she'd probably be o.k. with the idea.

Anybody got any nuggets of information?

Our goals are:

75 mph top speed, 65-70 cruising speed.

More than 12 mpg.

Short enough to get into a driveway without hitting trees or go off road without worrying about it pulling us over.

Beds for 5.

Price in the sub 15K range.

Safe in the event we fall over or get knocked over.

Some clearance under it, or 4x4 a must. We absolutely will be taking dirt roads with this thing.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Any suv and the nicest springbar tent. Buy 3.5" self inflating mattress from REI for you and the wife, 3" for the kids. Butler bags for a bonus. Scrambled eggs and sausage.

Pathwacker

Observer
38691f1a89a72e089e962c550fc9fe75.jpg

Sub carries 6 and camper sleeps six. 10mpg all day long empty or loaded
2305lbs payload. 7600 lb towing

fc7116cd78b8d7b215d3a3c7ec5f8ad0.jpg

Many variations

My floor plan
2a893f70af5e5e24c5f8a5aef11faa39.jpg

Typical weekend
9fd98954c8e814cee70c584623a58ab4.jpg

turboale

Observer
Personally I'm now all about the teardrop... Hard walls for bad weather and if you need more space then a RTT on the roof for the kids will give you some privacy. Built in cover over the kitchen that closes down in seconds if the weather gets gnarly.

Scoutman

Explorer
Is your toy hauler a bumper pull or 5th wheel? What level of offroad ability are you looking for? I'm guessing since you were considering a class B that it's not anything more than the dirt roads you mentioned. I would definitely rule out a truck camper (pop up or hard side). Either will be too cramped for 5 and a dog. You could do a combination of solutions but I agree I'd keep the 350 unless you're just looking to get a more comfortable vehicle and put your money into a more travel friendly camper. I'd suggest a large pull behind pop up. It has plenty of sleeping space for 2 adults and 3 kids with dogs on the floor. It should ride nicely behind the truck and allow you to use the camper shell for hauling other stuff. You can flip the axle and put some larger tires on it if you need the clearance. I guess if you wanted something a little more tent-ish you could do one or even 2 roof top tents on a rack over the shell and truck cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior