Mounting racks & boxes

FlyTime

Hello folks, new to the forum. And just got a New-To-Me 2008 Hallmark Guanella, its going to need some racks & exterior storage. What is the best way to mount these items? I’m more a less a competent DIY’er, but don’t want to damage the integrity of the panels. Thinking about having a shop do the work, but not confident they are familiar with the Hallmark construction. What you think?

Seabass

Idiot
I got a Jayco and I'd love to put some bars on it too. I want to pack a couple of kayaks up there and maybe one of those fancy, aerodynamic luggage boxes from time to time. But like you I'm not sure what to do. So I'm kinda hi-jacking here because I was fixin to start the same thread- you just beat me to it!

Camp JP

If you are thinking of having a shop do it anyway, seeing you are in Salt Lake I'd suggest just taking it back to the factory outside of Denver and having them do it. Then you never have to worry it was done right.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
If you are thinking of having a shop do it anyway, seeing you are in Salt Lake I'd suggest just taking it back to the factory outside of Denver and having them do it. Then you never have to worry it was done right.

I agree. If nothing else contact the manufacturer directly. Construction changes over the years. They should be able to give you better information and recommendations than any of us could guess at. Report back with the info for others in the future.

rayra

Expedition Leader
same as any fiberglass / non-metal panel, I would think. You want the weight and pull spread as much as possible. Roof rack would best be made like a snow sled skid, with a flat rail in full contact with the roof and the rack basket attached to that, with multiple attachment points. The inside should have at least large fender washers if not a matching flat rail or even a a large backer plate. The fastener intrusions are for attaching the inner and outer plates, rather than the sole source of attachment. The load is then distributed across a wide area and you don't have to worry about fastener threads tearing out of fiberglass / soft material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94