Odyssey vs. Diehard Platinum

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Retail at Pep Boys is $190 but they had a killer deal last weekend - 30% off online promo code and $20 Bosch mail-in rebate was too good to pass up at $122 after promo/rebate.

Since that sale is long gone troll through the Pep Boy Coupon and rebate areas for the Bosch $20 rebate and the Pep Boy $20 off merchandise (in store only) coupon

http://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials/
http://www.pepboys.com/docs/pdf/january_2015/21319_30off-Bosch-Battery_coupon.pdf
http://www.pepboys.com/docs/pdf/january_2015/21252_12_20offMerch_CouponPage_jan2015.pdf

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Right now on the main page of Pep Boys website is 25% off promo code "TAKE25".

They usually seem to have the 30% promo every few weeks or so but the $20 Bosch rebate ends Jan 31.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Right now on the main page of Pep Boys website is 25% off promo code "TAKE25".

They usually seem to have the 30% promo every few weeks or so but the $20 Bosch rebate ends Jan 31.

The Take 25 does not seem to apply to the Bosch batteries. I went most of the way into the checkout process and that coupon code has no effect on the price.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Weird, works for me and Bosch isn't listed on the exclusion list for that promo.

Thanks for checking that out for me! The work location that I was in yesterday has a ton of firewalls and browser hooks so your note made me retry later from another spot and the coupon worked for me.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Glad it worked for you! :wings:

The Bosch Platinum AGM 24F has been great so far in the Subaru, starting is much improved. I did have to put it on the smart charger overnight due to being the minimum 12.7V at purchase and so far so good. It's nice not to have to worry about a flooded/wet battery maintenance/venting any longer. Hopefully this will be the last time I repaint the hold-down bracket too. :sombrero:

offero

Desert rat
Oh man, I wish I would have seen the latest in this thread about the Bosch battery... just picked up a group 34 Sears Diehard to put under the hood of my GX470. Looks like for $40 less the Bosch is only 8AH of 20-hour rated capacity less (for what that's worth) compared to the Odyssey/Diehard Platinum group 34's 68AH capacity.

Someone said they're the same as the Exide AGM. One thing I like about the Odyssey is they give good charging & maintenance information. I found similar info for the Exide for those who like to dial-in their charge controllers.

pajeepman

Adventurer
Rural King has Exide AGM for $121 or $124. Regular price also. They have conventional Exides(60 month warranty) on sale for $49.99 and the one I bought Sunday has an online 12% rebate.

dstock

Explorer
Oh man, I wish I would have seen the latest in this thread about the Bosch battery... just picked up a group 34 Sears Diehard to put under the hood of my GX470. Looks like for $40 less the Bosch is only 8AH of 20-hour rated capacity less (for what that's worth) compared to the Odyssey/Diehard Platinum group 34's 68AH capacity.

Someone said they're the same as the Exide AGM. One thing I like about the Odyssey is they give good charging & maintenance information. I found similar info for the Exide for those who like to dial-in their charge controllers.

I have to agree regarding the Odyssey Information, I had an email exchange with the Enersys rep and she was extremely helpful regarding my low resting rate Diehard Platinums. I finally had time this past weekend to pull the Aux battery and start the recovery process, after one discharge-charge cycle per their instructions, my aux battery was resting at 12.78 after being off the charger for 12 hours. I will check it again tonight when I get home to see if it's holding but it certainly has given me hope.
If all is good with the Aux, I will swap it with the main, and try to recover that one as well.

offero

Desert rat
I have to agree regarding the Odyssey Information, I had an email exchange with the Enersys rep and she was extremely helpful regarding my low resting rate Diehard Platinums. I finally had time this past weekend to pull the Aux battery and start the recovery process, after one discharge-charge cycle per their instructions, my aux battery was resting at 12.78 after being off the charger for 12 hours. I will check it again tonight when I get home to see if it's holding but it certainly has given me hope.
If all is good with the Aux, I will swap it with the main, and try to recover that one as well.

Did you just use an Enersys charger or do did you go with a power supply that you can regulate the voltage? I've got their 25A charger, which seems to do the job. I'd connect my old Group 65 starting battery in my late Jeep Grand Cherokee to it every once in a while to keep it maintained and also my 2150 (the big 100AH one), though it takes a while to bulk charge--they recommend their bigger charger for that battery--should do fine on the new Group 34 I got.

Looking at the Exide voltages, they're close to the Odyssey, so the Enersys charger should do the job. (Odyssey is 14.7 bulk, then 14.7 absorb for four hours, I think, then 13.2 float). I doubt my alternator ever gets to 14.7, so I need to keep up with throwing the aux battery on the Enersys charger every once in a while. I do have my charge controller setup for those voltages, but these days I haven't been boondock camping much. Sure makes a DC-to-DC charger in the rig appealing!

dstock

Explorer
Did you just use an Enersys charger or do did you go with a power supply that you can regulate the voltage? I've got their 25A charger, which seems to do the job. I'd connect my old Group 65 starting battery in my late Jeep Grand Cherokee to it every once in a while to keep it maintained and also my 2150 (the big 100AH one), though it takes a while to bulk charge--they recommend their bigger charger for that battery--should do fine on the new Group 34 I got.

Looking at the Exide voltages, they're close to the Odyssey, so the Enersys charger should do the job. (Odyssey is 14.7 bulk, then 14.7 absorb for four hours, I think, then 13.2 float). I doubt my alternator ever gets to 14.7, so I need to keep up with throwing the aux battery on the Enersys charger every once in a while. I do have my charge controller setup for those voltages, but these days I haven't been boondock camping much. Sure makes a DC-to-DC charger in the rig appealing!

I used the 25amp Odyssey Ultimizer and my batteries are Group 34.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Rural King has Exide AGM for $121 or $124. Regular price also. They have conventional Exides(60 month warranty) on sale for $49.99 and the one I bought Sunday has an online 12% rebate.

Good find.

The Rural King labeled Exide Edge AFM 24F / Bosh Platinum AGM 24F is listed at $129 with free shipping over $100 so not a bad deal if you don't mind dealing with shipping or a regional store. 3 year replacement instead of 4 (84 month limited warranty).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles