Odyssey vs. Diehard Platinum

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
After hearing that odyssey is making sears diehard batteries i looked at the group 34 for comparison. Needless to say, im heading to sears tomorrow for 2 new batteries for the cruiser. It's the same battery IMHO.

Size: Group 34 *(Sears P-1 and Odyssey PC1500)

Diehard Price:$189.00

Odyssey Price:$289.00

Specs:

Odyssey:CCA: 825A at 0ºF
Reserve capacity: 125 minutes

Diehard: Cold Cranking Amps (CCA at 0 deg.F): 880
Reserve Capacity (RC):135 min.

Pics - same handle, same stud mounts and same side buldge on case.

TheGillz

Explorer
This is great news, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your next trip. Do you have the whole set up with inverter and charge left guages?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
TheGillz said:
Do you have the whole set up with inverter and charge left guages?

Nope, i have bare bones reliable blue seas boston mangler manual get out of the truck type setup. Just the guage in the stock cluster.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ok, just got back from Sears. They had plenty in stock. Guy behind the counter said they're getting more popular.

(2) Platinums for $389.00 out the door.

48 Months Full Replacement Warranty - 52 Months Prorated Warranty - 100 Months Total Warranty

I'll install them tomorrow and post pics.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
After talking with an Odyssey shop in Alaska, he told me they look the same and have similar specs, but the Odyssey brand name has different "ingredients" than the Sears. He went on to say that the extra $ for the Odyssey reflected the better grade materials such as media purity. He believed that Odyssey was buying the guts from someone else and putting them in their boxes for the lower prices, rebadged units. I don't know this guy and have no stake in this debate, but I am very curious.

IF this is true, I guess it like buying a V6 Mustang vs a GT - looks the same but the guts differ.

If the military switches, then so will I. Till then...

Dave

Explorer
Schattenjager said:
After talking with an Odyssey shop in Alaska, he told me they look the same and have similar specs, but the Odyssey brand name has different "ingredients" than the Sears. He went on to say that the extra $ for the Odyssey reflected the better grade materials such as media purity. He believed that Odyssey was buying the guts from someone else and putting them in their boxes for the lower prices, rebadged units. I don't know this guy and have no stake in this debate, but I am very curious.

IF this is true, I guess it like buying a V6 Mustang vs a GT - looks the same but the guts differ.

Odyssey doesn't make batteries, EnerSys does. EnerSys produces the Diehard Platinum line of batteries, Enersys produces the Trolling Thunder line of batteries (which is now being badged as Odyssey). If domain name registration information is a reliable indicator, I'd say that Odyssey and Trolling Thunder is actually an EnerSys owned company (branding?) rather then a supplier.

I'd love to see some hard data that shows whether or not the Odyssey line is the same as the DieHard Platinum line. I suspect it's the same battery, just rebadged, but I can't back that up with any technical info.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Schattenjager said:

Interesting, ive heard this too. Nobody can confirm obviously if the guts are the same or not. However i'll say this, with the same cranking amps and amazing warranty who cares. If the thing ever dies, i have 2. I switch to battery B and head on over and get a new one for free.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:
Interesting, ive heard this too. Nobody can confirm obviously if the guts are the same or not. However i'll say this, with the same cranking amps and amazing warranty who cares. If the thing ever dies, i have 2. I switch to battery B and head on over and get a new one for free.

That, my friend, is a SOLID plan!
:bowdown:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Here is the press release for Sears/Enersys.
EnerSys Signs Multi-Year Contract to Provide Sears Holdings With Long-Life DieHard(R) Platinum BatteriesREADING, Pa. and HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., Feb. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- EnerSys (NYSE: ENS), the world's largest manufacturer, marketer and distributor of industrial batteries, today announced it has signed a multi- year contract with Sears Holdings (Nasdaq: SHLD) to manufacture and supply Sears with a newly categorized DieHard Platinum branded battery for aftermarket automotive and marine applications. DieHard is America's most preferred automotive battery, among those stating a preference.
Beginning in March, 2007, Sears Auto Centers will be the exclusive distribution channel for DieHard Platinum batteries. "By working with EnerSys on the new DieHard Platinum battery, we continue the legacy of innovation that was established with the original DieHard battery 40 years ago," said Rick Sawyer, vice president/general merchandise manager of Sears Auto Centers. "We're confident this new battery will live up to the DieHard brand name and that users will be pleased with its performance. These premium-grade batteries are designed for a longer life than traditional batteries, offer increased levels of safe operation, can withstand extreme heat and cold, and are durable for consumer automotive/marine applications. The DieHard Platinum battery will offer proven vibration resistance to the consumer market.
The new DieHard Platinum batteries have up to 28% more Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) than comparatively sized spiral Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries providing much more starting power to automobiles and boats, along with unmatched reserved capacity. These thin-plate pure-lead batteries will carry DieHard batteries' best-ever, free replacement warranty. See your local Sears store for written warranty details.
"We're thrilled to provide this high-end, durable DieHard Platinum version to consumers," said John Craig, chairman, president and chief executive officer of EnerSys. "This partnership represents a great opportunity for more users to benefit from our pure-lead technology products."
The DieHard Platinum batteries are manufactured in EnerSys' U.S. manufacturing facility in Warrensburg, Mo, where the first DieHard Platinum came off the production line today. They have a valve-regulated design that allows them to be installed in any orientation, except inverted, without spilling and the U.S. Department of Transportation has classified them as non- spillable for safe shipping.
For more information, contact Richard Zuidema, Executive Vice President, EnerSys, P.O. Box 14145, Reading, PA 19612-4145. Tel: 800/538-3627; Web site: EnerSys Home.

Dave

Explorer
I e-mailed EnerSys this weekend, their response:

David:

That is a very astute observation. We private label the Sears DieHard
Platinum batteries and they are rebadged Odyssey batteries.

Thanks.

Kalyan Jana

Development Support Manager - Specialty Markets

Desk: (660) 429-7505

Cell: (816) 308-1543
Fax: (660) 429-1758

www.enersys.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 6:42 AM
To: Jana, Kalyan
Subject: FW: Website Visitor Comments / Inquiry

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 6:57 PM
To: Niethammer, Carlene
Subject: Website Visitor Comments / Inquiry

Comments
Hello,

I recently discovered the Sears DieHard Platinum line of batteries and I
noticed they look identical to the Odyssey line. Is there a difference
between the two?

Thanks for your time.

David Baker

And now you know the rest of story.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Nice to have it confirmed. My optima is 2+ years old so it will surely die soon in the 110 summer.
Good to know, good to know!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
...being as the el cheapo starting battery in the Troopy just went to the battery afterlife this morning....and I was just going to go pick up another Optima...

You just made my choices more difficult! :mixed-smiley-030:

-H-

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
What about the Marine versions. One of the ones I saw today at sears had 1100 CCA. YIKES! thats a lot of battery. Of course it was $239 for the Marine one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles