2015 Renegade Trailhawk

kayadog

Adventurer
"THey are plenty safe. Much safer than tin can cars like the Japanese brands, that's for sure..."

Italian cars are safer than Japanese cars? Sorry-- couldn't resist!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
"THey are plenty safe. Much safer than tin can cars like the Japanese brands, that's for sure..."

Italian cars are safer than Japanese cars? Sorry-- couldn't resist!

Lol clearly a fan boy whos never driven Fiat. As I said no way I'd put a newbie in a Fiat Product unless Fiat surprises everyone with high crash ratings.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Lol clearly a fan boy whos never driven Fiat. As I said no way I'd put a newbie in a Fiat Product unless Fiat surprises everyone with high crash ratings.

I am saying that the Japanese cars/trucks/suvs are made from materials as thin as a drink can. you fart on them the wrong way, they dent and crumple. I know, I owned them. The "American" made products like Jeep, Dodge, ford etc actually have some heft to their materials. I would rather been in a jeep product anyday compared to a Toyota or Subaru...

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
10985339_10152698934991986_6837487154395674896_n_zps3jrapdqp.jpg

I recently spent a week with a Renegade Sport (2.4, 9AT, AWD), and really enjoyed it for what it is. I would consider getting one, but with the 1.4t and the 6MT.

My experience:
http://www.subcompactculture.com/2015/05/review-2015-jeep-renegade-sport.html

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
We are seriously looking at the 1.4 north edition with the 9sp. I am certain that the zf issues are way over blown because of the internet....Like most things these days.

kayadog

Adventurer
I hope you are right about it being overblown but it's enough to make me wait. I also hope the refreshed Cherokee has a more traditional Jeep front.

In other unfortunate breaking Jeep news, powertrain warranties are being reduced from 100,000 to 60,000 miles on 2016 models.

kayadog

Adventurer
I know that it is similar to other company's warranties, but the timing seems ill considered considering the automotive press is awash with stories about new Jeep reliability issues. I've been spending time on KL Cherokee forums lately doing research as I consider buying one and its kind of a blood bath.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I love the Jeep Renegade and the Cherokee Trailhawk for what they are: Crossover SUV's with somewhat capable off-road performance. Jeep is certainly doing a good job of staying relevant in the modern SUV market.

My only concern is that some people and off-road journalists are giving too much credit to these vehicles simply due to their Jeep badges. The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk got 4x4 of the year from fourwheeler.com.....a car-based crossover, won the 4x4 of the year award...that's pretty ridiculous.

What's even more ridiculous is that most off-roaders are not flocking to buy the Cherokee or Renegade. Why? Because they aren't body-on-frame SUV's. No one wants to risk ruining these cars' unibodies and no aftermarket vendors are able to offer anything other than a marginal lift (at great cost). We should be more honest with ourselves about what these vehicles are and what they aren't. They aren't designed to serve primarily as off-roading vehicles...though they have some off-roading capability.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I love the Jeep Renegade and the Cherokee Trailhawk for what they are: Crossover SUV's with somewhat capable off-road performance. Jeep is certainly doing a good job of staying relevant in the modern SUV market.

My only concern is that some people and off-road journalists are giving too much credit to these vehicles simply due to their Jeep badges. The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk got 4x4 of the year from fourwheeler.com.....a car-based crossover, won the 4x4 of the year award...that's pretty ridiculous.

What's even more ridiculous is that most off-roaders are not flocking to buy the Cherokee or Renegade. Why? Because they aren't body-on-frame SUV's. No one wants to risk ruining these cars' unibodies and no aftermarket vendors are able to offer anything other than a mild 1 inch lift (at great cost).

I found that interesting also. I have owned a Subaru since 2001, it replaced a 4runner, I owned a cherry 93 Land Cruiser during that same period and have a Sequoia today. I like seeing that people are learning that cars can typically do far more than they need. 99.99% of the Subaru owners never find the limits to their subaru. Only a fraction of a fraction of a .% of people today have use for a full frame SUV. Which I think is why the lines are getting blurred.

On the flip side I think full frame 4dr midsized vehicle choices Suck today regarding passenger safety and mileage. We need new modern options that show big gains in mileage and passenger safety.

Geodoc

Adventurer

What's even more ridiculous is that most off-roaders are not flocking to buy the Cherokee or Renegade. Why? Because they aren't body-on-frame SUV's. No one wants to risk ruining these cars' unibodies and no aftermarket vendors are able to offer anything other than a marginal lift (at great cost). We should be more honest with ourselves about what these vehicles are and what they aren't. They aren't designed to serve primarily as off-roading vehicles...though they have some off-roading capability.

Too true. I'm getting it for basic transport, with some light 4x4 capability (i.e., gravel roads and snow in mountains). I had a tough time choosing between the Renegade, the Toyota RAV, the Honda CRV, and the Subaru Crosstrek (my second choice), but it boiled down to the fact that I'm a Jeep person :). Would I take this thing overlanding? Not with a unibody (I'll keep my '01 Cherokee for that).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles