A/C unit running on solar???

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Perhaps also the reuse of the patents will lead some other manufacturers to adopt some principals of the technology to more mobile applications. I could picture a single cube containing all the necessary components, charger, battery, inverter, etc. with load shedding capabilities and an espresso maker!

I'd prefer individual replaceable components. If the inverter dies, I don't want to have to replace the whole shooting match.

BTW DWH THANKS for all the input on various threads, they greatly helped me in planning and executing my electrical setup.

No worries. Cheers.

adam88

Explorer
His truck has a 230v Mitsubishi mini-split home unit. Current Mitsu 9k btu mini-splits have a 26 SEER rating - so yea, super efficient.
I found that online, where it lists a SEER of 26, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. All their other units list SEER's of like 14 and 15. Even the bigger models that are exactly the same list SEER's way lower.
http://www.mitsubishielectric.ca/en/hvac/PDF/p-series/specifications/HeatPumps-Wall_Mounted.pdf
- This lists a SEER of 15.3 and an EER of 8. It looks exactly the same. I find it hard to believe their "new models" came out with technology that DOUBLED that overnight? If so, why is Mitsibushi selling 50% less efficient units everywhere?
I sort of think there has to be more to this... hmm... what makes those units special that they are double efficient?
Compare these two:
9,000 BTU: http://www.mitsubishipro.com/en/pro...-zone/m-series-heat-pump-systems/msz-femuz-fe
30,700 BTU: http://www.mitsubishipro.com/en/pro...le-zone/m-series-heat-pump-systems/msz-dmuz-d
They are what appear to be the same models. Same description, same series. The bigger one (30,700 BTU) has a SEER of 14.5 and the smaller one an EER of 26. Makes no sense.
Im not saying it's a typo, because the entire page would have to be a typo then. I am just confused.....

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
30k btu / 12k btu = 2.5
3850w / 650w = 5.9

So the big one uses 5.9 times as much power to do only 2.5 times as much cooling. Hence the lower efficiency rating.

But why?

880 cfm / 381 cfm = 2.3

It takes more power to move more air. And the internal head unit of the big one is not 2.5 times the size of the small unit - so it's also got a more restricted airflow to contend with.

adam88

Explorer
More I read about those Mitsubishi models the more impressed I am. Not only with the "alleged" SEER of 26, but also the fact that the heat pump is designed to operate down to -13 F (-25 C). That is insane.

One of these would make it theoretically possible to build an all electric RV with no fuel at all. Yes, you would need a very large battery bank, but it would be a super efficient design.

Induction stove, electric hot water heater, heat pump etc. I like it.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
One of these would make it theoretically possible to build an all electric RV with no fuel at all. Yes, you would need a very large battery bank, but it would be a super efficient design.

Induction stove, electric hot water heater, heat pump etc. I like it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/83962-NPS-Camper-Build

Induction hotplates, electric HWS, mitsubishi heat pump, 255L AC fridge, and an espresso machine :) No generator or hookup required.

If its overcast for a few days we need to be mindful of energy usage or we can run the truck for an hour (130A @ 28v 100% duty cycle alternator)

Now that we're on the road I have some time to do a proper write up and review of the systems on board so I'll throw something together over the next few weeks.

We collect -a lot- of data (per second data from batteries, inverters, solar, DC bus, etc) that others might find useful for planning. The truck has >100 relays all wirelessly computer controlled so its easy to pin point exactly whats using power at a given time. I have a few 5.5digit data loggers for logging consumption of specific appliances so I could publish 7 day consumption data of the fridge for example. (I like data....)

EXPO365

Adventurer
Thanks for all the info guys, yea it's looking looks ill be grabbing a little Honda or Yamaha gen to run the ac system, and a smaller solar setup for everything else.

rayra

Expedition Leader
$100 tiny generator from Harbor Freight will get it done.
http://www.harborfreight.com/900-Pe...zIjoiOTkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk IjoiODk0MSJ9

They've proven out to be pretty durable, a good value for the money. But you've got to break it in properly and treat it right.
ar15.com's prepper / survival bunch have been working them hard for a few years, both the older blue model and the more ethanol-tolerant red version.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/...pics__56k_noway____update_page_14.html&page=1

I've had one of the earlier versions for a couple years now, it's served well enough with small tools and camp needs and to power a PA system for a wedding on an ocean overlook.

And they make very little noise. dig a small hole for it and conquer most of it.

as for solar, if that ambulance(?) in your avatar is the vehicle you seek to equip, you'd need to cover its roof with house-class panels and oriet them properly to get the capacity you want. And about 400-500 pounds of batteries to run the AC from, with morning and evening solar accumulation keeping them topped off. Or a small generator.

EXPO365

Adventurer
$100 tiny generator from Harbor Freight will get it done.
http://www.harborfreight.com/900-Pe...zIjoiOTkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk IjoiODk0MSJ9

They've proven out to be pretty durable, a good value for the money. But you've got to break it in properly and treat it right.
ar15.com's prepper / survival bunch have been working them hard for a few years, both the older blue model and the more ethanol-tolerant red version.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/...pics__56k_noway____update_page_14.html&page=1

I've had one of the earlier versions for a couple years now, it's served well enough with small tools and camp needs and to power a PA system for a wedding on an ocean overlook.

And they make very little noise. dig a small hole for it and conquer most of it.

as for solar, if that ambulance(?) in your avatar is the vehicle you seek to equip, you'd need to cover its roof with house-class panels and oriet them properly to get the capacity you want. And about 400-500 pounds of batteries to run the AC from, with morning and evening solar accumulation keeping them topped off. Or a small generator.

Thanks for the info on those HF gens, I'll have to look into those.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Thanks for the info on those HF gens, I'll have to look into those.

I've got one. Don't bother.

I wore out a 1200w/1500w Champion, and replaced it around a year ago with the little HF 2-stroke. The Champ is 200 bucks at Amazon with free delivery. The HF 2-stroke is 100 bucks.

The newer version of the same Champion generator can be had at Tractor Supply (so far, haven't found it anywhere else) for 200 bucks and is 1400w/1800w with the same 80cc engine my older Champ had. I called Champion and was told that they beefed up the windings in the alternator.

When it was new, the HF ran a 15a battery charger no problem - after a couple hundred hours - it will still run that 15a charger - as long as I don't try to charge my laptop and phone at the same time. It's getting weaker over time.

Soon, I'll be replacing it with the new 1400w/1800w Champion.

rayra

Expedition Leader
not a reasonable or fair comparison. The HF gen has about half the generating capacity of that Champion. The HF is to that Champion as that Champion is to a Honda EU2000i.

The HF is only rated at 700W continuous / 900W peak. That's 5-7amps max. It quite simply CAN'T 'run' a 15amp charger. Not at anything near the charger's full capacity. And then add a phone and laptop charger to it at the same time, laughable. It's like complaining about a 1/2ton pickup not being able to carry a ton.
Like I said above, 'treat it right'. It's a niche product, not a general purpose or high capacity workhorse.

And frankly that ar15 topic I linked is 5yrs old and ongoing, a lot of people are running these hard in all sorts of applications. Nobody has reported a reduction in output over time. I'll take their far broader anecdotal experiences over yours.

Forgot to mention, it also sips fuel.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
not a reasonable or fair comparison. The HF gen has about half the generating capacity of that Champion. The HF is to that Champion as that Champion is to a Honda EU2000i.

Sure it's a reasonable comparison - those are the two smallest units available. And I've owned and worn out both. One is a great unit, the other is a piece of crap.

The HF is only rated at 700W continuous / 900W peak.

I knew that.

Which is why I was wondering why would you'd recommend it to a guy who needs a generator to run an air conditioner?

That's 5-7amps max.

The decal on the gas tank says 6.5a max.

It quite simply CAN'T 'run' a 15amp charger. Not at anything near the charger's full capacity. And then add a phone and laptop charger to it at the same time, laughable. It's like complaining about a 1/2ton pickup not being able to carry a ton.

When it was new, it easily ran the 15a charger, and a bunch of other stuff at the same time.

(Which BTW, is 15 amps at 12 volts. It doesn't draw 15a on the 120v side, it puts out 15a on the 12v side. Duh.)

Now it struggles to just run the charger by itself.

Real world testing and all that.

Like I said above, 'treat it right'.

Gee, thanks for edumacatin me about that. I better run right out and change the oil.

I bought it for one reason - to charge batteries. The 1200w unit was bigger than I needed, so I decided to try the smaller unit. I shouldn't have wasted my money.

700w is just about perfect for what I need it for. At least, it was when it was new.

And I did my homework before I bought it. Upgraded the spark plug, put locktite on the all the screws, nuts and bolts, added an in-line fuel filter - all the stuff that is recommended for THAT particular generator by guys who owned one before I did.

I have treated it right.

It's a niche product, not a general purpose or high capacity workhorse.

That's why I bought it, I had a niche to fill.

And frankly that ar15 topic I linked is 5yrs old and ongoing, a lot of people are running these hard in all sorts of applications. Nobody has reported a reduction in output over time. I'll take their far broader anecdotal experiences over yours.

They're obviously not running it as hard as I have. Actually, I haven't run it all that hard - I've just run it for hundreds of hours.

And as an electrician with 24,000 hours in the trade and my very own multi-meter - I'll take my real world experience over anyone's anecdotes.

Once I replace it, you can have this one (if it still runs, which I doubt), and then you'll have to take your own word for it.

Forgot to mention, it also sips fuel.

That it does. After break-in, it would run around 16 hours on a gallon of gas doing nothing but battery charging.

Of course the Champion I had before it would run 14 hours on 1.2 gallons, so it's not like the 63cc HF 2-stroke actually uses a lot less fuel than the 80cc Champion 4-stroke doing the exact same job.

Sure, the Champ cost double. Also lasted twice as long.

EDIT: Also had a two year warranty, compared to the HF's 90 day warranty.

EDIT AGAIN: And, you can actually call up Champion and get spare parts if you need them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles