tire opinion

Ironhead

Observer
I'm looking for everyone's thoughts on tires. I've ran BFG's AT's forever, I like them on my off-road vehicles. My newest vehicle (1998 Ford E150) is going to do about 80/20 as far as on/off road. Not digging/crawling just dirt roads and such. Its going to be a commuter during the week and a camper on the weekends. I'm staying with the stock suspension and tire size, just want the best tire for the money. The local tire shop recommended the Toyo open country AT II. All the reviews I read contradicted each other and just left me with more questions. Give me your thoughts on any tire out there.

Slicky72

Adventurer
The Toyo at2 is a great all round tire , ran it on my last rig . I have Cooper AT3s on my van now and it is a daily driver with the occasional trip into the back country . They are also a good all rounder .

triplenickel

I like to run a more open tire, I think the aggressive looks make for the road noise and find the more open void tread doesn't pickup and throw as many rocks.

radorsch

Adventurer
I have a set of Cooper ATPs on my van (similar to the AT3s) and really like them. Great road manners and little noise, but very good traction. I have BFG AT KOs on my truck and they are also good, but noisier. I think I prefer the Coopers... and the Coopers are cheaper.

350outrage

Adventurer
I just put on some new Duratracs. Great handling on hwy, and off road traction. They're kind of open though, so whine a little on the hwy. Still love 'em so far.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd buy BFGs because they're cheaper than Toyo. The Toyo tires would likely last more miles, but my tires will likely age out before they wear out. BFGs aren't as tough on the rocks, but for snow, dirt, and gravel, they'll do just fine. My 33s cost $200/tire... Toyo were $300/tire... I'll want new tires in 10-12 years so they're not worth an extra $100/tire to me.

I'm happy with the BFG ATs :D

Raul

Adventurer
My vote goes to the Cooper AT3. Fairly quiet, good traction and good on rain. For reference, I have a 2wd E150 so no off road monster here.

I had BFG on my van and they were good on snow and noisy on the road. I had a few scares on Heavy rain with them.

achuto

Observer
Look at the Generals, very similar to the BFG's but cheaper, I have a set on my jeep and am happy with them..........

e350vegas

Observer
Love my Toyo OC ATs. I have used them on 3 4x4 vehicles...never an issue, blow out or complaint from me. Tires is not a place I ever fail to spend on, as your life is actually riding on them...ya know? Tire failure = bad things.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Whats the general consensus on the best, most well stocked online tire hawker? I'm limited to those of the 16.5 variety and the 36"-37" range.

dinobody

Observer
goodyear dura trac got 40,000 out of the last set just got a new set of the same great on road and the snow 2003 7.3 E350

KMG

Adventurer
IMO, Goodyear DuraTrac's are the best aggressive on and off road tire available. The tread pattern is a nice option if you want more off road traction than an AT tire but not as loud and wear prone as a MT tire. Also unbeatable in the snow. I've had three sets on three different trucks.

fritz

Traveler
Cooper AT3

I have Cooper AT3 load range E on my Express AWD and they are a very good tire. 80% of my driving on highway and the noise is minimal. I work at a ski area and they have pulled me up a grass covered ski run to the end of my comfort zone- no spin and the van could have kept going. Very good on snow covered roads. Will definantely buy the same when the time comes.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ive never been too impressed with the BFG AT

Never run the coopers.

I just plut a set of Toyo AT2's on, and I am completely impressed.

By far the smoothest, quietest, and most stable AT tire I have EVER run.

Snow traction is yet to be determined, as is life. but right now Im sold on Toyo.

chassis308.jpg

chassis309.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior