1988 Suburban "MOBY"

tgdoumit

Adventurer
hey kids, checking in after a break. right now the front half of the suburban is gutted inside in prep for some floor holage.
other than that i have been messing with the NV4500 and looking for some good parts to fix it up. i will have to come back with some pix...
after a pretty good inspection on my part, id say that this transmission appears to be in great shape. the splines and bearing surfaces look really good.
the old clutch parts are in great shape for how many miles are on it and i know that it is original. looks like everything was in great alignment in its life so far.

that being said, i am replacing the whole clutch assembly with south bend clutch products geared above my needed horsepower range for now and will suit my hp changes in the future nicely.

i don't feel like i need to rebuild the transmission at this point so i just pulled the tail housing off so i can check the 5th gear nut (which has spun off three times). there is a 5th gear keeper that engages the splines on the shaft and the spanner notches on the nut. this should work nicely till i get back into it again..

the rear output seal will be changed along with the tower boot. id really like to do something with the slave / master assembly but i will wait on that for now...

the lube was kinda hard to nail down. i found some amsoil which is approved for the dodge nv4500.

to top it all off i got a moon eyes shift knob since the sparkley cummins knob i had on there went missing...

if anyone wants part numbers or specific details, i'll be back with pix in a few days...

be good humans! bye...

tgdoumit

Adventurer
Here's a few pix and I'll have more
Right now the tail housing is off the nv4500

Nice life on the wear parts.

This is good for the dodge nv4500 and costs less than the mopar version. There is quite a lot of information on what you shouldn't put in that transmission.

tgdoumit

Adventurer

The keeper

Making sure it all fits nicely. There is a possibility that 0.050 will be needed to be machined off the tail end in some cases but not this time.

tgdoumit

Adventurer
On the t-case maybe. I am probably going to go through it too but a slip yoke eliminator was not in the plans.

tgdoumit

Adventurer
Yeah, if you use oven cleaner wear protection cause it'll burn you. Melt your fingernails right off lol!!!
I wore nitrile gloves but got some splashed on my arms while scrubbing. It was uncomfortable for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste