1988 Suburban "MOBY"

tgdoumit

Adventurer
hydroboost.
this is something i need to know more about.
i'm swapping from the auto to a v4500 5-speed.
therefore i'm going to need the clutch and brake assembly off a hydro truck for the clutch they say.
i'd also like a nice brake upgrade too...
seems like all that stuff sorta works together in original application kept maybe the v4500 but i like how the brake parts are MFE...

what i need to know is:
- which trucks are prime candidates for harvesting the clutch/brake assembly and hydroboost parts?
- i know they came on several different rigs. are they pretty much the same?
- should i try to get it all out of the same rig?
- this is all going in a 88 2500 suburban (i bet you knew that, huh?)

looking for some hint's tips and helpful knowledge. maybe one pointing fingers and possibly a couple helpful links.
meanwhile i'll be sifting through the interweb sludge trying to make heads or tails....

looking to do this in the best way possible. i really don't want to short-cut brakes. i really believe in optimal performance there. i still have the stock master cylinder and booster plus the one from the 96 dodge diesel i parted out. both are prolly too big to use along side the 12 valver...

tgdoumit

Adventurer
tried something i saw on youtube..
dent removal with a heat gun and canned air (upside down so its real cold)
it sucked that dent right out of the tailgate! so cool!

tgdoumit

Adventurer
wow! a lot not getting done here.
but, today i pulled the sf 14 bolt out and i'm gonna line that dana 80 up back there to see if it will bolt up..
i have takers for the dodge dana 60, the 10 bolt and the 14 bolt. hope they go soon cause they are an eye sore along with the rest of the parts along the house. I've been keeping the weeds high so the neighbors don't have to see all that stuff!
the ford and dodge axles that i am using have way larger pin holes than the springs centering pin heads.. i found a place that will sell special pins with larger heads if i choose to run these springs for a while. ultimately id like to swap to newer springs.
just checking in... project is still on... still working on my other projects too.. hoping to be done before the year is up... (like thats gonna happen!) :D

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I love :drool::drool:the Moby `Burb´TG! Remember you can always put a c clamp on the springs, remove the pin, and then install a bigger one by drilling out the hole to the size you need. I am sure you wont have any problem selling your axels. Thanks for posting up. Cheers, Chili.:)

tgdoumit

Adventurer
hello there chilli :D
here's a few pix for those following along:

the Dana 80 and SF 14 bolt. in this pic you can't really tell the size difference but its a pretty big one! there is a big difference in axle tube diameter think the 80 is 4.08" and the 14 bolt is 3.45" or so.. the housing of the 80 is much harder to move around by myself too...

well, it fits! (temporarily) i still need the right centering pins and new u-bolts for the final assembly...

here's the home made stacked spacer the last owner put in right before i got it.. i don't know why he did that nor do i condone such activities.. it was sitting high on that side lol!

thanks for looking, got some important stuff payed off and that prolly means more mad money coming my way!

tgdoumit

Adventurer
hey kids!
as usual not a whole lot of moby action... been remodeling the home and almost have carlos road ready!
so, I'm getting the moby itch...
the last few days have been about my TJ and moby and been working on ted also...
i removed the entire fuel system. tank, lines and all the tbi stuff. i think i will have everything someone will need to throw a tbi on their 350.
also, i removed all the exhaust hangers and shields as it will all be on the wrong side of the truck.
currently i am waiting for the crossmember as i didn't have the time to build it myself.
anyways, ill post up whenever something happens.

FBJR

Adventurer
Nice build. I have a build going on too, but diff sights for now. I'm using a pd dana 60, 14ff rear and 6bt.

Since you pulled all the fuel system out, could you tell me where the center of the fuel pickup from the rear doors? I want to cut an access on the floor.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Any updates Tim? It sure would be cool to see some pics of what you are doing to your rig. Cheers, chilli..:)

tgdoumit

Adventurer
hey guys!
guess it's been a while, huh?
been real busy with life, three kids in sports, school stuff and the young man's cherokee... been real short on time.
but,
i can kind of let you know what I've been up to on MOBY:
first of all i got a cross member from the syndicate chop shop. it has a removable center section if i ever have to drop the pan. i knew i didn't' have time to make it myself... ill get a picture of that later.
the last few days i have been taking apart the motor. I'm going to replace as many seals as i can besides the head gasket. the inside of the motor looks really good. much better than any gas engine I've been into.
here's a few pix:

pulled apart the vacuum pump to change out the seals.

pulling the p-pump to get to the leaky tappet cover.

oh, and the fuel pick-up is near the center of the tank i think

FBJR

Adventurer
Looks good and you have the KDP taken care of.

Never heard of Syndicate before. Saw a couple pics on FB. Looks like a bolt in mount, but not sure about the removable cross piece. Would like to see some tabs vs just the bolts. Did you see the Rod Bonnet pieces?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarCaveUSA