The little Freightliner that could

flylow4500

Observer
You and I think alike Pappawheely, thanks for the thought. I have already been in contact with them and the truck will be getting 6 Road King shocks total (2 per axle and two for the cab.)

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You and I think alike Pappawheely, thanks for the thought. I have already been in contact with them and the truck will be getting 6 Road King shocks total (2 per axle and two for the cab.)

I used to work at King. They make some very high quality parts.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Great platform to build on. I will be keeping an eye on what you do here. I would of loved to get a crew cab 4x4 but they are as rare as rocking horse poop.

And it is already costing me money. Talked to the guys at King shocks yesterday. Looks like some custom valves 2.5's will be heading my way.

I will PM you a couple of questions on the drivetrain.

flylow4500

Observer
The Generator arrived, it a 20kw (125A 240V) turbo diesel with a sound attenuated enclosure. This will be mounted on the drivers side of the frame in front of the axle.

Last edited:

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
What's the plan for the truck? A 20kw generator is surely too big for running a motor home? The bores will glaze running a few air con units.

flylow4500

Observer
The Generator was sized to run an entire camp of trailers. We figured one would make less noise than 5 little ones. It will also run a tig welder like a boss at 12,000'. Our biggest obstacle when sizing was derating for high altitude. Kohler used to make a 15kw which was perfect but was discontinued. Not many small turbocharged generators out there to choose from. I was told the newer direct injected diesels are better with light loads than older models or kubota idi engines. We'll tell everyone to crank their AC. lol

flylow4500

Observer
This is what we are using for a night light. Its a 2000w halogen light mounted on a telescoping pole with an air inflated balloon around it to remove glare. Pictures don't do it justice, it's AWESOME! Two of these will add a little load for the generator. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz