Gen 3 - Optional 2nd row DVD player

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Anyone here have this?

Good option for the kids on road trips?

Does the screen stay up well when you're bouncin' around off-road or does it fall down?

Any issues with the player itself?

FullMonte

Adventurer
I have one in my 06 OME, preferred a sunroof but couldn't pass on the low miles. I don't use it at all, but when I had my double din installed, I noticed that the screen's resolution sucked and was pretty small. If your kids are young and your playing cartoons, I don't think they would mind. Over all I think it's a waste of money. They have several and better options out there.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Yeah I'm probably not going to be able to pass on a low-mileage Montero I found, that happens to have the DVD setup. So I'm just wondering how you guys like it, and to make sure that it's not annoying, such as the screen falling down all the time or something. My kids are young so they will probably use it, actually. Hoping I can get the screen and/or player swapped out with newer stuff if need be, in the aftermarket.

nckwltn

Explorer
I wouldn't pay extra for it on a new or used car... you're better off buying two iPads and handing them to the kids :)

but if it's already part of the package, why not!?

FullMonte

Adventurer
I've never had a problem with the screen coming down when off roading. If I remember correctly, it has a latch and the screen isn't heavy. I thought about replacing it as well. I'd be interested in what u find.
I used the space where the huge moonroof would be and installed some overhead space compartments to hold light gear..

ifixpc

Observer
I have an aftermarket Alpine 10" unit for the kids in the back. Came with my car so I didn't have to mess with it.
I always remove the DVD from it and fully power it off when offroading. Just in case...
No problems with it so far and the screen stays in position no matter what the conditions are.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I've never had a problem with the screen coming down when off roading. If I remember correctly, it has a latch and the screen isn't heavy. I thought about replacing it as well. I'd be interested in what u find.
I used the space where the huge moonroof would be and installed some overhead space compartments to hold light gear..

Interesting. Any pics?

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
I've never used mine, but it's never once opened up on me. I'm glad not to have the sunroof as it's a lot of weight up high and a potential leak point or motor failure. I'm trying to figure out what to do with that space if I do pull mine out.

It's wired for power so it might make some nice overhead mood lighting...or a mirror ball...wait...a lighted over the bed mirror like those fancy hotels in Vegas...

FullMonte

Adventurer
Interesting. Any pics?
Sorry, finally got around to taking it
20cb19c30bd29a1156600473334ed247.jpg

It's a cheap way for now, but I'm looking for a permanent overhead console..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier