ford cabover?

dvorocks

Adventurer
Anyone ever think of using the 1995ish Ford cabover with the Cummins and Allison combo. Seems like a very solid truck that would have plenty of power and a lot of potential.

boostin

Adventurer
I don't know much about them but I recently learned they come with the Cummins which is pretty indestructible

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I've been looking at those trucks for a long time! I think they would work great, and easy to service, real easy to get 300 reliable hp out of and good on fuel. There are a few really nice low mile units at on of my clients yard, if I didn't need a crew cab I'd own one!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing you're talking about a Ford Cf7000, also called the Cargo 7000, which is a pretty heavy duty truck. In fact, 29,500 pounds was probably the most common GVWR, which would require a CDL to drive. Even the lightest duty ones are pretty heavy for overlanding use.

Now if you plan to swap out all of the suspension parts, that's not too relevant, but in stock form it's not going too be happy without a good bit of weight on the 8- to 10-ton rear axle. You also might find the cabin pretty cramped, and with your butt right over the front axle, ride quality will be an issue.

It could be a challenge finding one that is in as good shape as you'd want. The engines were good enough, usually making it to 300K before overhauls, but after 20 years, most Class 6 and 7 trucks will have way more than that. They were also a common truck to put specialized bodies and equipment on, and you might have to peel off street sweeper or boom truck equipment. (The Postal Service used to have a bunch of these as mail hauling box vans; I've no idea if any are available as surplus.)

An intenet search will get a couple short threads about the truck, and Truckpaper.com and the Commercial Truck Trader have some of them to look at. You'd pretty much have to work your own way through an overlanding build, though.

Good luck with the project.

Left%20front%20view.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior