Garmin map recommendations

robgendreau

Explorer
Are the Garmin TOPO 24k or 100k maps worth getting? They look kinda old. I don't use automatic routing much, and probably would prefer to download their raster maps. I've been doing that with GaiaGPS and it works fine for me (although Gaia does have a better selection of maps). They are definitely pricey, so I really would like some concrete advice before I splurge on any of 'em.

GregSplett

Adventurer
I am no expert on garmin maps but just a few hous ago I tested there maps as far as my needs.None of the locations were accurate.Actually they were completely wrong.They had the dnr # correct but not the route.

Last edited:

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
I've never been a fan of Garmin maps, especially considering the expense. I use Gaia but the POIs are useless as are many of the map layers...looking for something better.

If you're sticking with Garmin, get topo maps for free from http://gpsfiledepot.com - great stuff there!

robgendreau

Explorer
Yeah, familiar with gpsfiledepot. Using the OSM and CA Topo maps, but not routable. But I can live with that. I'm gonna try the 24k and we'll see. I have tons of maps on Gaia, but it's a different kind of setup. Garmin leans to vector; Gaia/Motion X to raster. No one map, or even map system, is ideal.

I actually end up using the USFS maps the most often.

robgendreau

Explorer
gpsfiledepot.com for good FREE garmin compatible maps.....

...as Shane4x4 noted.

I've used the CA topo and OSM and they're OK, not great. The Garmin 24k is better in some areas for non vehicular use. And as I noted, not routable. The southern California ones by California Trail Map look really good too, but that's just there. http://www.californiatrailmap.com/MapComparison.aspx The map files are pretty huge, though. Usable on my Samsung Tab with the SD card, and on my Oregon 600, but not as much on my iPhone.

I tried some of the Garmin Birdseye topos, and they are definitely meh; apparently USGS topos many of which are very out of date (old maps can be super useful though, depending on what you're doing, and for offroad stuff where not much changes). The Birdseye satellite overlays are pretty good; they come from a company that claims my local areas are less than a year old, but Garmin's servers don't appear to be that up-to-date, but still not bad. I've seen some examples where they best Google's imagery though. And downloading is a chore since it only does relatively small areas. OK for hiking, but a no-go if you'll be driving over large areas, or need to download on the go (using Gaia for this is much more efficient).

I'm coming to the conclusion that using raster for smartphones, vector for handheld GPS is the way to go, since that plays to the strength of each. And I am finding that more and more of the user-made maps are nice; not just gpsfiledepot, but ones you can make through DIY Map GPS app or Mobile Atlas Creator. Can't seem to use these easily with Gaia GPS though; need to convert unless things have changed recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne