Mitsubishi Reveals Future Plan, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, Delica & Montero

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Well at least since that article was written MMC has turned things around, I think it surprised even MMNA. I think they were doomed until somebody at the top of the food chain "forced" the Mirage into the line up, I'm not sure how it all went down but i read somewhere that MMNA didn't think the mirage was a good idea for the US market. Once it hit the dealerships they sold over 2 times the projection (hopefully this shows them where they went wrong all these years) now they're busier than they've been in years. Hopefully MMC will push the Triton and Challenger models here in a reasonable trim level to compete with Nissan's prices, then i can buy an SUV with real man sized axles and a frame.

I would love to see them do it, but given this summer was the late release date for a new Montero Sport or Challenger and there is nothing happening, no announcements, they bagged the auto show together even after paying for space....and what you do see references to as a new Montero is a futuristic hatch back automobile....And given the bad reviews of the entire current line up....I will see it when i believe it. Until then a TRD PRO Inferno will have to do for a new rig.

Toasty

If they actually run with that concept it would mean that they have not learned from their past mistakes. Still hoping for the new Challenger (Montero Sport), it truly is the last of their real 4x4's. It's built like a more modern Gen 2, very very nice rigs.

Toasty

Sorry, the current Pajero is a real 4x4 I mean the Gen 3 and 4 are good rigs. I should say the new Challenger is the last of the Mitsubishi trucks, by truck i mean body on frame construction and a solid axle. Lets face it a Gen 3, Grand Cherokee (current model), LR can be very capable machines but they're just not up to the task of being a truck offroad. Our trucks (1988 Montero, 1989 Monteros, 1994 Montero SR, 1999 Montero, 1996 Montero SR, the few 1995 SR's and even the '82 Mighty Lux) are required to carry upwards of 2,000lbs, push 35-37" tires, up hill while door deep in rocks thousands of miles away from home and drive back after 2 weeks of punishment. We need that in a 4x4, we're not Jeep guys and we cant afford to buy a new Jeep, cut all the axles and suspension off and swap in something HD. I could however justify buying a new Sport and swap over my gears and lockers from the Montero, then i can hit the trails in a fresh machine.

Having said that the 2015 Sierra Nevada Challenge starts August 31st!!!! Who's coming with us???

One day one of you guys will make me eat my words and bring a built Gen 3 loaded for 2 weeks worth of gear and dominate the Sierras. I look forward to that day.

No one even answered my last post on the Challenge on the wire. Lets start a new string in the portal. As to that ridiculous new Montero, yes it continues to show how they cannot learn from there mistakes. And the Gen 3 was a mistake, just look at the sales figures. And a likely whimpy V6 engine Vs Hybrid in an era of monster HP? Good luck Mits. Saying 2018 says its not going to happen. Add to that the Sport did not return for this summer which dealers I talked to thought was the only thing that could save them....

montypower

Adventure Time!
The Gen3 montero mistake was poor marketing. They are superior to previous generations in nearly every regard: size, comfort, ride on and off road. I've owned a 92, 95 and 00. It has no problem getting around. Just returned from 1,400 mile trek off road on a portion of OBCDR and Alvord desert. Over half of the miles on 3rd world type roads traveling at relatively high speeds. I agree the previous generations are better for rocks since they have better clearance. But Monteros were not designed for rock crawling. They were designed for the Dakar.

It would be cool to see mitsu rebound in the states. They just need to make a cutting edge product instead of trying to blend in.

Toasty

The Gen 3's mistake was trying to be more luxury than utility from the way the marketed it to the way they equipped them for sale here. They started this on the Gen 2's in the Mid 90's leaning more toward luxury trim and you can watch their sales drop progressively every year. I didn't mean the Gen 3 and 4 are not true 4x4's that's not what I was trying to say, I mean that it is not a truck. I like Gen 3's but the truck part of the Montero died with the Gen 3 and that's what I liked about Monteros.
I have a pickup now too but before I did it was the Montero's job to do everything, I've carried a pallet of pavers and I've filled it with hay bails and I've loaded it with engine blocks, axles and car parts. It didn't car and it gladly would have taken me offroad under those conditions, The gen 3+ is better at most things with the exception of durability and taking abuse which the previous gens excelled at. Let's face it, more SUV owners WILL abuse their machines weather they wheel it or not. That's the point of these utility machines, It's a truck with a bigger body and no bed and it will be treated that way.

The Montero has never been great at rock crawling or great at getting women or getting great gas milage. It's really not great at much but it is really good at everything and you can't say that about many vehicles. The Montero is a race horse, It's faster than most offroad but it's more than happy to plow a field if I need it to.

lordtrunks

camp loser
I agree with toasty gotta have that body on frame just all out brute strength. I'd hardly call the current 260 plus hp mivec v6s wimpy even the lower hp 3.0 of modern mitsu has better power than any previous model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior