Small vent fan?

bunce1260

Observer
Hi.
I'm looking for a smaller that the usually recommended roof vent fan. It's going in a Chevy Astro, so A- I don't want it to take up so much of the roof and B- doesn't need to pull as much air as a full size RV.

What's the best small vent fan?

TIA

rayra

Expedition Leader
If you already have the roof vent, I'd consider going with a large diameter computer case fan, 12vdc native, very slim, near-silent and made for moderate to high cfm air movement.

As an example, a Thermaltake 200mm (about 8"), 28dba, 140cfm. $14.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106224

That Astro is about what, ~~200cu'? That thing will change out all your air every 2mins. They make those fans in almost any size, moving from 20cfm to 140+. And with a rheostat in the power circuit, you can vary the speed for both noise and total air movement.

eta

alternatively, you could readily fabricate a window insert with fans mounted to it, say a row of (3) 6" fans that could be fitted to to top of a front door window, held in place by the window itself.

Last edited:

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
I have never anything but the standard sized vent. My recommendation is the Fantastic vent fans with a multi speed switch.

bunce1260

Observer
I like the size of rhe vanair but am a bit worried about cutting a circular hole in my roof, a square hole scares me enough.

Thinking about making something out of pc fans. Maybe fab a perspex panel with some fans in it for the tilt out window of my Chevy Astro.

Ideas and thoughts welcome

mezmochill

Is outside
Are you plan on selling the van later.
If its for recreation, modify as needed. After you put your first hole in the van, its not so bad:). You'll end up with something thats functionally exactly how you want it. Are you cooking in the van, average humidity your dealing with, just for sleeping, summer temps??

The vent I have is probably overkill, but I also I'm not wishing I had more airflow at times, haha!!:)

rayra

Expedition Leader
I like the size of rhe vanair but am a bit worried about cutting a circular hole in my roof, a square hole scares me enough.

Thinking about making something out of pc fans. Maybe fab a perspex panel with some fans in it for the tilt out window of my Chevy Astro.

Ideas and thoughts welcome

You could replace one of those tilt out windows with perspex / plexiglass with a large fan mounted in it. With just a bit of handiness you can use the window for a template and even use it to make a pattern mold / buck and warm the plex in your oven and shape it to match the curves of the glass. Once it is set, cut and add the fan to it. A vented window you can swap in for trips.
Or just make a frame with the fan suspended in it that fits on the interior side of the opened window. You just set it in place when desired. And that way you don't have to make any permanent holes in the vehicle.

bunce1260

Observer
I like that idea.
Is it safe? As theft resistant as glass? I'd then need to find a really low profile fan from the perspective of outside as it's a side window.

Having said that, it may just be easier to cut a whole in the roof.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
There are also a multitude of 12V case fans typically used to cool PC cabinets and industrial enclosures...

Similar to...this

They are quiet and move a decent amount of air with marginal current draw. It isn't "overland specific" but for what you're looking for it would work fine.

SG

1stDeuce

Explorer
The problem with using a computer case vent and making a replacement window is closing the vent at times...

That Van Air vent looks awesome!! It closes up tight, and is fairly compact. A 20w solar panel would run it fairly well too, so you could just leave it open and on and it would run during the day w/o draining the battery. Be great for moving a little air through a truck topper when camping, or just parked in the sun.

As for cutting a hole in the roof, I wouldn't worry about it. A small round hole is certainly more structurally preferable to a large square one, and easier to cut too. Just use a sabre saw with a metal blade. The Astro has a nice flat spot on the roof that's made for a vent, so you could just center the round one in the square vent spot and pop it in. :)

If you do end up using one vent, let us all know what you think of it!

Chris

vanroth

Observer
I used a fantastic 2 speed bi-directional fan on my Astro. There is a square boss on the roof already to accommodate one. The standard fantastic fan is a bit larger than the boss, but if you get a little creative it fits well. All-in-all I was very happy with the set up. Granted I live in the South West so moving air is a bit more important.

I did end up blacking out the inside of the dome as I hate light intrusion when I'm sleeping -- pretty easy mod.

Sadly I don't have any good pictures of the fan and I sold the truck earlier this year.

-vanroth

bunce1260

Observer
Just to update this post, we went with the Ventline VP 543 here, http://amzn.to/1IMkkJ7 . Installing was fairly simple, I'm currently working on house battery with solar panel ideas so I don't have a review just yet. I'll swing back round once we've put it through its paces.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
As others have said, lots of options out there. For a full roof vent fan the thermostatically controlled Fantastic Fans are hard to beat. I'm also a big fan (pun intended) of computer case fans (which are 12V most often). I have 4 providing power ventilation to my dometic fridge stack, and another one replaced the exhaust fan for the stove (which seemed to make a lot of noise but not move much air)

Computer case fans are inexpensive, quiet, and efficient. What's not to love?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier