Foul weather and mud gear.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Some of us saw rain and mud last weekend and I was wondering what gear you had that you liked. What's the best way to dress, cook and camp when it's sloppy?

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
I just wore a hoodie with cotton pants and water proof boots. Yeah I got a little moist but a pleather trench coat keeps the rain off and with a brimmed hat, what more could you need? I mean, it was pretty much typical poor-man's (not the boots though) winter layers and I did juuuust fine.

MoRogers

Observer
boots, water resistant jacket., Underarmor winter gear. i was a bit damp until i got the boots on then i was fine. the Underarmor longjons was a god-send in keeping both dry and warm when i got wet. What I was missing though was a canopy or sorts to keep the cooking from getting soggy and the rain out of my face, the wind Thursday night turned any tarp-covers to kites. I had dry provisions, MREs, etc. so eating wasn't an issue regardless of the circumstance. as bad as the weather was i actually had fun because i had 80% of what i needed anyway. I was just around for the vendors and people anyway so i could careless about the classes, did the experience last year.

brushogger

Explorer
I wore a pair of Sperry oiled leather chukka type boots I had picked up on sale a Dillard's for $30. I was shocked that they kept my feet completely dry. My pants were the Duluth lite Firehose pants. They were very warm even when damp. The Frog Toggs rainpants were amazing when it rained harder. No dampness or stickiness at all on the inside like goretex is when next to your skin. I'm going to get one of the jackets now as a set is pretty inexpensive. Up top I wore a heavy wool sweater lined with fleece that I bought a couple of years ago in Fayetteville AR at the Himalayan Mountain store. They are hand made and imported from Nepal. These are amazing for the price (about $80). Not a lightweight piece of gear, but with a shell layer to break the wind and rain it's very comfortable from a little below zero into the 50's. Just unzip it to match the temps. I wore a broad brimmed Tilley hat as I don't like hoods due to the decrease in in peripheral vision. I don't think Tilley advertises it as being waterproof, but it never soaked up water at all. You can buy a size that actually fits (I have a bucket head) and the double retaining strap keeps it well anchored in the high winds. None of this clothing is expensive high end stuff, but I stayed warm, dry, and comfortable.
As to camp gear, the Oztent was great. No water ingress at all. Just a little condensation the evening I ran the little buddy heater most of the night. The awning and sidewall made a great cooking area and wind break. I think I am going to get the side walls that allow for a steeper pitch though as it didn't shed the snow well at all. If I had strung it steeper with the single set of poles, I'd have had no head room over the table. BTW, the Little Buddy works great. I just need to come up with some kind of case for it. Right now I'm still using the box. Since I was camping alone, I was able to set the Pett toilet up in the tent. These are also a great product. It was so nice to not have to wade through the slop to use the bathroom in the dark. Just seal the wag bag and set it outside the door until the next morning. Then you just throw it away.

Last edited:

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
A good pair of mud boots can be worth their weight in gold. I've used them several times before at several extremely muddy events. I just have a pair of cheap ones, but if I were to be in mud all the time, I'd definitely look for a good set of knee-high mud boots (depending on muddy it is).

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Depends on how wet, how muddy, how cold, how exposed, and for how long.
Often times a good blow is a prelude to a drastic temperature drop. Like from the 50s to the 20s ---- high winds and rain leading to more wind and snow/ice, etc.
So staying dry can be critical.
In these situations, which is when we usually camp, good gear means the difference between a good time or going home early.

I also volunteer for my local CERT and SAR. If I'm going to be out in the slop for an indefinite period, I have to count on my gear not failing.
I've got different options depending on conditions.

From the ground up:
Boots: http://hunt.irishsetterboots.com/ir...2863-irish-setter-hunt-mens-8-inch-boot-stone
or: http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/durand-mid-wp-wide/cascade brown!gargoyle

Pants: http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-ballistic-70-pants
or these with a spray of waterproofer: http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-fire-hose-work-pants-92204.aspx?processor=content

Jacket: http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/236/417/Textile_Jackets/Ballistic_8.0_[waterproof]
Or: http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-fire-hose-superior-insulated-work-jacket-14009.aspx

I've got an assortment of gloves and over-gloves too. And hats of all description. A good scarf can make the day (wool).

In bad conditions, cotton kills.

That's what happened on this annual January party. Cold front blew through, temps dropped, mud turned to ice and back to mud.
But we had fun.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Easy rince before re-entering the truck :costumed-smiley-007

DSC_8878_zps569bc193.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
Looking for an outer shell that is water and windproof. I am not overly concerned with budget, as I believe in buying quality gear over replacing cheap gear several times. I DO NOT want anything made in China, Vietnam, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nicaragua, etc. Maybe there are some good products made in those places, but that is not what I am interested in.

USA, Canada, Scandinavia, Germany, Japan, UK and that is about it. Top notch products and customer service are preferred.

Please don't try to sell me on Arcteryx (made in China and $350 at the local retailer) - I don't care how good they are or who owns the factory, blah blah blah... Same goes for any similar "expedition must have gear" such as Klim, Aether, Ex Officio, etc. - not interested.

I have heard good things about Grundens and they were already on my radar, but looking for other options and something on the light side for trekking and back packing.

No politics, no BS, just suggestions, please and thank you. :D

EDIT: Several of the Grunden's "waterproof breathable" line is made in Vietnam, so that is out too.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Looking for an outer shell that is water and windproof. I am not overly concerned with budget, as I believe in buying quality gear over replacing cheap gear several times. I DO NOT want anything made in China, Vietnam, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nicaragua, etc. Maybe there are some good products made in those places, but that is not what I am interested in.

USA, Canada, Scandinavia, Germany, Japan, UK and that is about it. Top notch products and customer service are preferred.

Please don't try to sell me on Arcteryx (made in China and $350 at the local retailer) - I don't care how good they are or who owns the factory, blah blah blah... Same goes for any similar "expedition must have gear" such as Klim, Aether, Ex Officio, etc. - not interested.

I have heard good things about Grundens and they were already on my radar, but looking for other options and something on the light side for trekking and back packing.

No politics, no BS, just suggestions, please and thank you. :D

EDIT: Several of the Grunden's "waterproof breathable" line is made in Vietnam, so that is out too.
I just looked at my Musto bibs (pants) and they are made in Poland. I beat the hell out of them for years racing sail boats and they could pass for being a week old. Gill makes good stuff as well as Helly Hanson, Lloyd and Mustang Survival if you want professional gear. Most camo and REI type gear is a cheap ripoff. These are the britches I use and would recomend but you have to find closouts and sales in a search to justify the cost. http://www.sailingproshop.com/Products/Musto-HPX-Ocean-Trousers-SH1670__SH1670.aspx
Personally I'd buy genuine DuPont Gortex fabric sewn up in Timbuktu over inferior fabric sewn here. It's basically the only fabric that works and breaths under hard use in any condition. The rest are fine for a while but its when your stuck in the rain for days you will see the difference. Basically you can put it on wet and dry out under it. Most don't get it but the guys that play in the spray know it.

DzlToy

Explorer
Had not even thought about sailing gear, but I came across a decent amount of off shore fishing gear made in Alyeska and Canada. Filson has several outer layer pieces made in Canada, from $200 - $700, so those are options.

Will add Gill and the others to the list, :beer: for the link.

EDIT: Henri Lloyd is just up the road from me, so I rang them up and asked about production. Cheapest items are China and Vietnam, higher end products are made in Poland. Sean in customer service was unsure of where the line was drawn and noted they have very few inquiries on country of origin. Maybe more people should ask where their $799 jacket is made.....

Last edited:

keezer37

Explorer
I have an earlier version of this boot. Warm, dry, and light to walk in. And they sew in a quality footbed. I stood on melting ice and in muck for hours under trees dripping water and occasionally small chunks of snow on me. My feet felt wonderful.
Beyond that, three years ago I became a believer in wool. Whenever and wherever possible, temperature regulating, warm when wet, wool. If you haven't worn a Merino wool baselayer yet, you haven't experienced all life has to offer. Possum's pretty cool too.

Devold
Lothlorian
Minus 33
Woolrich

DzlToy

Explorer
Have a few items on their way across the pond from NZ. Merino and Possum baselayers, beanie hats and socks, along with 4WD pants and an out layer made from a windproof and water resistant fleece from SWAZI. Baselayers are from Ecowool.com

Minus33 is made in China, I am not sure about the others. Ibex is made stateside, but the USD/NZD exchange rate is quite favourable right now, so that helped make my decision to go that route. I wound up with about $650 - 700 NZD worth of clothing for under $400 shipped.

Keen has some footwear being made in the US again, but I have not confirmed the source of their materials. I believe they are taking materials from their Chinese factories and sewing them here. Depending on who is doing the sewing and how the QC is handled, will determine if it's any better than their Chinese products. I bought a pair of their sandals 3-4 years ago and they were torn up in less than a year. They weren't cheap either. I think I paid $70-80 for them.

EDIT: Picked up a pair of Made in Germany Lowa's ($320) and some Naots ($170) for the cooler weather that is finally here. I will probably do a few reviews once I get my hands on everything. Thanks for the suggestions. Off to Google.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Have a few items on their way across the pond from NZ. Merino and Possum baselayers, beanie hats and socks, along with 4WD pants and an out layer made from a windproof and water resistant fleece from SWAZI. Baselayers are from Ecowool.com

Minus33 is made in China, I am not sure about the others. Ibex is made stateside, but the USD/NZD exchange rate is quite favourable right now, so that helped make my decision to go that route. I wound up with about $650 - 700 NZD worth of clothing for under $400 shipped.

Keen has some footwear being made in the US again, but I have not confirmed the source of their materials. I believe they are taking materials from their Chinese factories and sewing them here. Depending on who is doing the sewing and how the QC is handled, will determine if it's any better than their Chinese products. I bought a pair of their sandals 3-4 years ago and they were torn up in less than a year. They weren't cheap either. I think I paid $70-80 for them.

EDIT: Picked up a pair of Made in Germany Lowa's ($320) and some Naots ($170) for the cooler weather that is finally here. I will probably do a few reviews once I get my hands on everything. Thanks for the suggestions. Off to Google.

You should hit up the Filson winter sale since you like wool and American made. I ordered their heavy knit double layer wool hat and a dry bag last week but have not gotten them yet. http://www.filson.com/wintersale.html they are getting low on some sizes but it's 50% off of stuff that hardly ever goes on sale.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Keen has some footwear being made in the US again, but I have not confirmed the source of their materials. ....
So far my US-made Durands are holding up better than any other hiker I've ever owned. Several hundred miles of nasty trails and my 250 pound bulk.
My previous Keens fell apart with less than half the miles. The footbeds of my Merrells and Vasques would collapse. My Lowas just wore through the soles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne