Camping in the rain and mud

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I got a kick out of Chiz45 when he mentioned he was going to pull the trigger on rooftop tent while at the Overland Expo if they would install it right away. What works and what does not when your dealing with rain and mud? What works best to keep you from tracking mud into your tents and campers?

grogie

Like to Camp
I keep a rubber mat at the base of my Tepui's ladder. Then I bought a shoe hammock sold by Compact Camping Concepts that my shoes go in when I climb in.

enwk.jpg

Desert Dan

Explorer
I had to take my boots off each time I got in my truck but I couldn't get the mud off my dogs paws.

Plastic bags over you boots to protect your tent/truck might help.

Van: With our Vanagon, a low rubbermaid container for shoes, put them in the box, slide it under the van. So glad my van does not have carpeting in the "living" area. I keep a whisk broom and it can be swept out in seconds. An awing is great as a camp chair and Mad Mat allows one to remove shoes, step on mat and into the van.

Side Van Tent: -(no floor), we lay down a Mad Mat and one camp chair near the door. Enter side tent, sit down, take off shoes and step right into the van.

Tent - Vestibule is key. I use a Mad Mat (notice a trend) in the vestibule. Step (slouch) into the vestibule, open tent door, swing around plunk but into tent with feet outside. Remove shoes, leave them out the under the vestibule. Can plastic bag them to be sure.

Here is the mat I use: http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23287 Ironically they have one of the best prices.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
+1 vestibule. Don't let your feet get in the tent until your boots are off. The inside of the tent might still get wet, but at least that way you won't have mud inside. Mud inside the tent is miserable.

synthetic sleeping bag. Because there's a decent chance you'll be wet, and wet down bags suck. This is from experience. Although in the summer/spring it might not matter. For me, whenever it rained it was also cold.

No clue how to keep mud out of the truck. So I like my new truck w/ plastic rear area, and weathertec floor mats in front. They were expensive, and seemed like hype, but I love them. I didn't get them for the 2nd row of seats, because they seemed less useful, too small.

If you do get dirt in the tent, carefully get it out. And clean the outside, too. Dirt can grind its way through the waterproofing. Suggest a heavy poly ground cloth to protect the tent bottom, if you're camping on the ground.

Desert Dan

Explorer
I brought an outdoor rv type of rug to the Expo but didn't use but it would have become a muddy mess. The plastic bin idea for your boots sounds good but I used plastic trash bags.

The secret is to try to stay dry and warm rather than trying to dry out afterward.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Go to your local RV trailer place. You'd be amazed at all the options for putting on the ground, but I'd recommend carrying
a piece of cheap astro turf or something like that. It doesn't hold water, you can shake it off, and it can be rolled and stored
in weather on roof rack.

ikk

Adventurer
Lowes carries a boot tray. you can fit 3 to 4 pairs on it. only $5.00 in my area of SoCal.

I use a couple of IKEA SKUBB collapsible boxes. I can hang it from a carabiner or bring it into the tent. They collapse down flat and leave them in the tent when it gets folded up.
Very cool - thanks for sharing that!

The Rubbermaid bin I use is the 10 gallon size Roughneck http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/shop-products/storage-boxes/roughneck®/roughneck-storage-box
Is also great for a wet awning and the mat. Last rainy trip, we got everything put away, then rather than trying to stuff the wet tarp into its stuff sack while standing in the rain, we just put the mat in the bin, followed by the tarp. Poles went in the stuff sack. Put the lid on, and then there is very little "wet stuff" smell inside the van.

Sometimes, if it a grassy site, I just put a tarp under the van and then shoes, folded camp chairs, speedmitton stuff, etc, are under the cover of the van, sitting on the tarp. After the rain, or in the morning (dew), you can drag the tarp out with all the stuff rather easily.

Finally, A good additional raincoat, or poncho AND rain paints were invaluable when tent camping with the family. After every item was packed, I sent the family into the car and took down the wet tent in protective clothing so everyone else could stay dry. Often, we would hit the bathroom on the way out, and I would bag these soaking items and change into dryer less severe gear for the trip to the restaurant for breakfast - LOL! Hey, it was raining with two sub 5-year-olds on out month-long trip!

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Ask my kids - we always camp in the rain - but don't ever let it slow you down!

High importance is minimizing foot traffic to/from the tent entrance(s), and reinforce them (sticks, tall grass, hay) before they turn to goop. We use MSR ParaWing shelters for the cooking/eating/hang-out area - this really helps protect the common area ground surface. Whoever said stay dry over dry-out later was spot-on! Good rain gear is key - I always have a breathable, hooded rain jacket and a full-coverage poncho. I'll wear synthetic (wicking) fabric clothing too, that doesn't absorb water. If mud is unavoidably deep then we wear gumboots (wellies)...

GregSplett

Adventurer
I got a kick out of Chiz45 when he mentioned he was going to pull the trigger on rooftop tent while at the Overland Expo if they would install it right away. What works and what does not when your dealing with rain and mud? What works best to keep you from tracking mud into your tents and campers?

Realy not trying to be a wise guy but the same things that keep it out of your house work for your tent.The difference between your home and your tent is the dry clean space remove wet and muddy cloths and shoes.This is why the vestibules are the best method.

DSCN1050.JPG

GFA

Adventurer
I use a bedrug track mat as my tents welcome mat. It also doubles as a work mat when doing trail repairs, tire changes etc. It washes clean and does not absorb water so it's dry in no time after rinsing the mud from it. The best part is that it weighs literally nothing, like 6 oz I think.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Frenchie showed me a trick with cheap restaurant mats.
They big 3'x3' --- cut them down the lines to make three 1'x3' mats.
Works for keeping the mud out and also as traction-aiding devices too.

Got mine at Sam's Club for $15 or so.

$_35.JPG

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I was at OEX too. Spent a lot of time sitting in my truck to stay warm and dry and had plenty of time to observe people slogging thru the mud and watching many slip and fall right in the worst slop. Speculated on how these unfortunate souls might get into a tent or RTT with 5# of mud glopped onto their feet and clothing. I concluded there really is no clean way to do it. Fortunately mud cleans up pretty well and it's not going to do much real damage if your only in it for a few days. But if it says wet and sloppy for several days that's another matter. If in my case if your traveling with a dog good luck on keeping anything clean and dry. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432525930.280656.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior