Scary Incident on my Ogre

just eric

Adventurer
Yesterday I took my Ogre out for a quick spin around the neighborhood. I was pulling my toddler in a Chariot CX1 trailer. We road for about 5 minutes up and down two hills before the baby decided that she was done and wanted to ride her trike. I dropped her off and as I pedaled away the rear wheel of my Ogre fell off. Before setting out on our ride I connected the trailer via the ezHitch assembly and checked that the QR which was secured. All I can figure is that the push and pull of the trailer against the hitch mount caused the QR to loosen resulting in the wheel falling off. Or maybe the stacking of the ezHitch over a Surly Tug Nut is too much for the quick release to secure, causing an incompatibility issue. and the subsequent failure.. I'm at a loss. I've contacted my LBS who is getting in touch with the Thule rep for suggestions.

My rear triangle took some damage from the disc rotor and the cassette but the majority of the damage was to my mental state. I live in a very hilly area with several large hills surrounding my neighborhood. If this would have occurred while descending any one of these hills the results for the baby and me could have been way different.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I don't know that I'd use the ezHitch on a horizontal dropout. The trailer is simply trying to pull the wheel out of the dropout whereas pedaling force is trying to force the wheel into the frame.

p nut

butter
Yeah, that's a lot of force for a QR to handle. They have hard enough time just holding the wheel in place, which is why some use those tug nuts. You can't fault Thule for this.

But the Ogre does have a threaded trailer mount. Perhaps it could be used?

just eric

Adventurer
Yeah, that's a lot of force for a QR to handle. They have hard enough time just holding the wheel in place, which is why some use those tug nuts. You can't fault Thule for this.

But the Ogre does have a threaded trailer mount. Perhaps it could be used?

That was my thought too. I called Surly to get their opinion but they would not give one. Essentially told me that "we make frames, call Thule." Very frustrating phone call.

Anyone used the trailer mounts on an Ogre (or I'd assume a Troll)?

Flagster

Expedition Leader
That was my thought too. I called Surly to get their opinion but they would not give one. Essentially told me that "we make frames, call Thule." Very frustrating phone call.

What do you expect surly to tell you about your bike trailer (that they don't make) problem???? can't blame them for an aftermarket add on...

I'm also confused about pnut saying a QR has a hard enough time keeping a wheel tight...you would think nobody rode bikes before through axles for fear of loosing a wheel...
:rolleyes:
The only problems I have ever seen or experienced with loose axles is operator error...including myself

just eric

Adventurer
What do you expect surly to tell you about your bike trailer (that they don't make) problem???? can't blame them for an aftermarket add on...

I'm also confused about pnut saying a QR has a hard enough time keeping a wheel tight...you would think nobody rode bikes before through axles for fear of loosing a wheel...
The only problems I have ever seen or experienced with loose axles is operator error...including myself

First and foremost I never blamed Surly for anything and I didn't call them to ask about the trailer. I called them hoping to discuss the intended use of the dropouts they put on their frame and the payload that the hard points could realistically support. The guy I spoke with said there weren't any trailer connection points on the ogre frame. When I tried to explain the layout of the dropout to him based upon the photo I was looking at, it became clear that he had either no desire to be on the phone with a customer or no idea what he was talking about. Maybe I'm confused and/or expect too much... It's one thing to not want or be able to discuss an add on but being unable or unwilling to discuss the specs pertaining to your product is different in my eyes. Just to be clear, I'm not bashing Surly, just frustrated with the incident itself and wish I had gotten someone with more time or knowledge when I called.

As far as operator error. Anything is possible but I checked the axle immediately prior to the ride when I connected the trailer. Literally opened and closed the quick release and adjusted the ezHitch mount just to be sure. I'm no rocket scientist but - I'll just leave it at that. :bike_rider:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
This is where, UG the designer from university decided that the old and tried method of safely retaining the rear wheel on a bike should be superceded by something prettier.......this wonderfull new design made adjusting the chain tension and wheel removal so easy...........and in one fail swoop removed a fundamental safety feature

The orginal method of retaining the rear wheel meant you could ride the bike with no nuts on either side and it would stay in place......

The new method....FAIL

220px-Rear_dropout.JPG

We had a Bee trailer also held onto the bike using the rear axle mount, but it also had a safety strap which went arround the frame as well

adapter_01.jpg

p nut

butter

I don't think you understand what is being discussed here. It's a fairly well known issue when using QR in horizontal dropouts/track ends, such as ones found on an Ogre. Not only from the pulling from the drive side, but braking forces from the disc side causing the wheel to slip as well. Why do you think Surly even bothered to make tugnuts?

I've used internal cam QR, such as Shimanos, with good success. Still not 100% reliable, since some still reported slippage. When you add on a trailer on top of that, it's a bit too much for the whimpy skewer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz